1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I make God become my everything?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. @Keli recently posed this question to me. It's a terrific one and it merits a full response. I wish I could provide one! To do so would require a conversation that will stretch into eternity, but I will do my best to start that dialogue here briefly.

Everything we do in life begins as a thought. We are motivated to act or to feel a certain way because of a thing we think. These thoughts are happening all the time, sometimes moving rapid-fire through our minds, sometimes coming more slowly. But our thoughts are always there, driving us, and what we choose to think will determine in large part the course of our lives.

Thus, it is very important that we think rightly and think true thoughts. If we allow our lives to become warped by internalizing lies in our thinking, we will suffer greatly for it. If, instead, we keep our focus on Truth, we will find that we can indeed be "reasonably happy in this life," as the Serenity Prayer states.

So, let's cut to the chase: Christ is Truth personified. If we want our thinking to be filled with true thoughts, we can do no better than to give Christ our full attention. This means training ourselves to bring our minds back to him again and again throughout the day, in every moment. Each time we become aware that we are thinking, we consciously choose to submit those thoughts to Christ and turn our attention to him. Over time, we will be more aware of our thinking (and do so more often), and so our thoughts will be turned toward Christ more and more. (Some call this "mindfulness," and I do not think that is a bad label for it.)

This takes work. It is a discipline. When we first start, we will realize very quickly what a chaotic place our minds are and just how often we think things of questionable veracity without any critical analysis at all. We simply allow these random thoughts to drive us without question. This is a poor way to go through life! In Christ, we can do better. In fact, in him, we MUST do better. The fullness of the life he has for us begins with an exchange of the lies we have internalized for his truth. We trade in our thoughts so that we might instead think his far better ones. We trade in our view of ourselves for his far better (and more accurate!) one. We embrace his identity for us and his view of the world.

There is a daily dying to self required by this "Great Exchange." We must submit to his way instead of our own. We must lay down our ideas willingly. He very seldom forces his thoughts on us. Rather, his voice is all around us, speaking all the time, but it is a quiet one that we must listen for closely. It is easily drowned out by worry and fear and all the care and concerns of life. We have to become willing to let all of that go, laying everything aside in preference for him.

I will link to the FREEdom process, as I have so often. It is not original to me, but it is a terrific restatement of the biblical teaching on how this exchange works in our lives. I fully recommend reading through the full book referenced at the link. Study the Scriptures closely for yourself, and find the freedom that they point us toward in Christ.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zqVL11JjWICOHCRUDmqXr9TNC_gpb6yhRF1hKp-fxcc/edit

Saint Patrick's famous poem captures very well this Christ-focused view that we can train our hearts in and that can become our new "normal":

I arise today
    Through God’s strength to pilot me;
    God’s might to uphold me,
    God’s wisdom to guide me,
    God’s eye to look before me,
    God’s ear to hear me,
    God’s word to speak for me,
    God’s hand to guard me,
    God’s way to lie before me,
    God’s shield to protect me,
    God’s hosts to save me
    Afar and anear,
    Alone or in a multitude.

Christ shield me today
    Against wounding
    Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
    Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
    Christ in the eye that sees me,
    Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
    Through the mighty strength
    Of the Lord of creation.

There is real work and real struggle involved in attaining this. The effort is worth it. Onward, then, toward Christ and Christ-likeness!

2. Keli

Keli Fapstronaut

Esto es tan cierto.. creo que me pasa todos los dias.. todo el tiempo.. quiero escuchar su voz y su voluntad para mi vida pero me cuesta tanto..

Voy a ir leyendo poco a poco ese enlace.. me cuesta un poco porque tengo q ir haciendo la traducción.. pero parece interesante...espero me ayude..

Gracias por la oración y por tomarte el tiempo con todo este hilo..

3. Let me know if I can help with the translation. I am not very good at Spanish, but my Google skills are excellent! :)

Keli likes this.
  4. Keli

Keli Fapstronaut

Jeje.. muchas gracias @Tao Jones . Estoy igual con el traductor google

Tao Jones likes this.
  5. RedeemedIowan

RedeemedIowan Fapstronaut

Responding to your prompt:

How would you know if you have or haven’t done this already? Do you think this is a gradual process or a one time change to Christ thinking?

Keli likes this.
  6. Here is how I gauge it: Where does my mind automatically go when it is not occupied with any other thing? Does it come to rest in Christ and his truth, or does it alight somewhere else? If the natural default state of my mind is Christ, then we are his. If our mind wants to find rest somewhere else, then we are still roaming at least some distance from our true home.

Isaiah 26:3 (ESV)
    You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

As for whether we attain this gradually or all at once, I think it is likely different for each person. God was very creative with how he saved me; I am sure he is just as imaginative with others. :)

7. Keli

Keli Fapstronaut

Mi mente hoy estaba desanimada y cansada vagando en busqueda de placer.. no ver P pero alguna compañía para charlar.. ya sea en términos mas sentimentales o algo asi..
    Al final del día terminé cayendo...
    Estaba como zombi hoy todo el día..

Creo que me falta mucho para aprender a descansar en Cristo.

8. What your mind was pursuing was a fantasy and a lie. When it grows restless and discontent, that is a signal that your thoughts need to be run through the Spirit's truth filter. You will not fall to temptation when you are content with your life; you will not be swayed by false promises when you are fully satisfied by Christ's goodness.

Get forgiveness and get back on track. There will never be anything good for you in sentimentality and idle chatter. Christ made you for far greater things!

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory, and Other Addresses

Stommy, Keli and CPilot like this.
  9. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Wow, I honestly think this post should be pinned for newcomers. This is very practical, and I agree with this 100% It's not easy, but I've noticed I'm keeping my mind on God more than 1 year ago. I pray to continue moving forward

Its-Gonna-be-tough, Keli and CPilot like this.
  10. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

@Kenmar is right. These posts should be required reading for humanity! Great questions from @Keli and others and wise responses from @TaoJone's. Thank you everyone!

The words written here reminded me of something I read recently by C.S. Lewis “…a cold self-righteous prig who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute” .

How pointless it would be to struggle day and night to be free from PMO if our ultimate purpose wasn't to make a lasting home for Jesus Christ in our hearts. Also, once we have made a home for Christ in our hearts, what do we have to be unhappy about? I hope we all turn our joy loose today and may God bless you all!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Z3LT01D, Kemar935 and Keli like this.
  11. Keli

Keli Fapstronaut

Cuanta verdad hay en esto.. yo necesito hacer un cambio en mi vida y no se bien como hacerlo, tengo mis dudas y mis miedos
    Debo aprender a estar totalmente satisfecha con el amor de Dios..

Y es verdad que nos contentamos con poco, ya habia leido ese texto..
    Gracias por tus palabras y por recordarme ese escrito de Lewis.

12. His love alone will satisfy without fail. All other loves will disappoint us sooner or later. Only God is God! :)

(I have pinned the post for the time being. It can remain pinned as long as it is a help to others. Thanks for the positive feedback, @Kemar935 !)

Kemar935 and Keli like this.
  13. Keli

Keli Fapstronaut

Es verdad.. todos me decepcionan, todos me abandonan, pero necesito aprender a sentir y saber que Dios es cercano y real.
    Necesito ese cambio en mi

CPilot and Tao Jones like this.
  14. Z34L0T

Z34L0T Fapstronaut

Such a good quote from Lewis.

15. Z34L0T

Z34L0T Fapstronaut

Boom!

CPilot likes this.
  16. Alarden

Alarden Fapstronaut

Hi everyone
    I’ve been wandering through nofap forums for the last three months. As I’ve said, I received very bad advice, which led me to relapse several times.

Even though I’m a christian (catholic), my mind wasn’t, I mean isn’t full of God.

I hope this christian forum will help me. Thank you all.

17. Welcome!

Keli likes this.
  18. Muha22

Muha22 Fapstronaut

What kind of advice did you receive ?