1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you incorporate new activities into your routine?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by RedAppleAle, Aug 10, 2019.

1. RedAppleAle

RedAppleAle Fapstronaut

Hi all,

There are activities that I want to incorporate into my daily routine, or perhaps every other day. While I sometimes complete these activities on a regular basis, it isn't always consistent.

For example, I might go to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday one week. Then, on the Monday the following week, I'll feel unmotivated or give myself some excuse not to go.

How do you deal with this? Does anyone have any tips?

I would like to be able to:

• Meditate twice a day.
    • Go on a run three times a week.
    • Go to the gym three times a week.
    • Read for at least 30 minutes every day.
    Thank you! Any advice is much appreciated!

2. im’possible

im’possible Fapstronaut

I set up apps or lists to ring me this time I do this kind of work out.

Do you have gym mates? Staying with some clubs maybe easier to consistent.

RedAppleAle likes this.
  3. I put my priorities in my calendar, and then I simply do what is in my calendar. Unstructured free time is when I have tended to get into trouble, so I do not allow myself to have any of that.

Periodically, I will assess my priorities to make sure they are still accurate for my actual reality.

If you do not make time for it, it will never happen.

RedAppleAle likes this.
  4. RedAppleAle

RedAppleAle Fapstronaut

That's brilliant advice, thank you!
    Thanks for this advice! I agree! I think when I allow myself to have unstructured free time, which is particularly currently the case at weekends, I don't follow through with activities that I'd normally complete throughout the week.

I've bought myself a planner/diary so I can plan out what I want to achieve on a daily/weekly basis. Hopefully this'll allow me to better understand when I have unstructured free time and how to replace it with activities I want to incorporate into my routine.

Tao Jones likes this.
  5. RedAppleAle

RedAppleAle Fapstronaut

Thanks for the response! I could definitely do with making use of calendars on my phone and setting myself reminders for when I want to do things.

I don't have gym mates, but I am going to university next month and the student union there has plenty of clubs/societies that I am going to take full advantage of. That should be a good way of meeting people who have similar interests, and forming healthier routines together.

6. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Maybe not as straight forward as the previous posters, I just let it flow. Mind you, I'm currently going through emotional turmoil (pmo is the result, not the cause), and I see I have had a lot of resistance in the past because of my emotional states: "I just don't feel like it".

Little by little, however, as I progressed through my emotional healing, I noticed two things:
    1) I began to develop new habits I wasn't ever interested in
    2) Resistance is subsiding in some areas

1) As example, I felt one day like buying a bicycle, about two months ago. Now I cannot stay in the house in the morning, I go for 15-20 km rides every day, interspersed with reading books on park benches in the town centre. That for me is difficult to understand because I only learnt to ride a bike a few days before buying the bike, I mostly read in the house and I always hated to be alone in the public (pathetic, right?)

2) I'd always say "I'll clean the flat tomorrow" and then have new life forms taking over my kitchen two weeks later. Since working on dealing with emotional pain, this has changed radically, to the point where I don't feel comfortable if the kitchen is not clean and the bathroom is properly organised in the evening. I also picked up yoga and I'm surprised about it, because I never thought it would make me feel good, content.

I think our minds know naturally what's good for us and steer us in the right way, but the mind is tired with the emotional exhaustion. Once the exhaustion is cleared up, resistance will be lower and we will naturally come to a state of well being, doing things that feel natural, normal, simple. I no longer make plans about any of my intentions, they just happen and make me happy. I truly have no idea what to do tomorrow, but I gather I'll go for a bike ride again... and probably read.

RedAppleAle and Onigiri like this.