1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you stop?

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by Bañera, May 13, 2021.

1. Bañera

Bañera Fapstronaut

I'm new and I've got a problem as anybody here: PMO adiction
    I've been tring to stop that for 4 months and my biggest record is a week, and it's because I can't stop when I start thinking "what if I fap?" and I'd like that someone to tell me how to stop in that moment that you still have a bit of control.

2. Julian Baker

Julian Baker Distinguished Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Hola Bañera,

Firstly, great post! Big up!

What you are experiencing, when you can't stop thinking about it, is what I personally call 'Lock Jaw'. It's like when a rabid dog locks its jaw on its victim and won't let go until its victim succumbs or dies. It can come out of nowhere which makes it particularly challenging to deal with. This isn't a scientific explanation (obviously), so don't hold onto (pardon the pun), what I'm saying, but just try and understand that sometimes, all we can do is let things ride out until they stop.

But if you want to (try) stop the process before it starts, then try practising URGE SURFING, or the STOP & SNAP principle, which is similar to URGE SURFING.

The basic principle to STOP & SNAP is that when you get an urge, you stop, breathe, think about what is unfolding, observe your feelings and proceed in an action that will lead you away from the desire to act out, such as snapping a rubber band on your wrist. I recently just learned about this gadget called the PAVLOK. Mm..interesting idea...

Learning to be still. To be with yourself in the present moment is also paramount to overcoming feelings you traditionally run away from. So ask yourself...How can I learn to just be with myself whilst all this craziness is going on around me? How can I learn to be at ease and at peace? To just be? How can I slow all this madness down to the point that I can control, or at least, be at ease with the unease of what is unfolding around me?

If you are a spiritual person, then I urge you to look at the KING of CUPs in Tarot Cards who sits on a throne within an unsettled ocean. In this situation, you are the KING (or Queen, though not the Queen of Cups), yet you are calm and poised whilst all that lives around you is not. That is the true way of a King/Queen. Look at the greatest monarchs of our age (whether you believe in that kind of heritage, or not), the greatest monarchs live true to this role.

So what is your heritage?

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  3. Bañera

Bañera Fapstronaut

Thank you for answering!!!! It's the first time for me and it's nice to see that's true that this comunity helps. I'm starting in here and unfortunately I saw this just after I relapsed, so I'll try this the next time I'm in a "lock jaw". But I don't understand what do you mean when you said what was my heritage, I'm not an english native though. Anyway thank you for helping!!