1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you talk to your S/0 about failing?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Bucklord, Mar 27, 2016.

1. kk76

kk76 Fapstronaut

Being cautious not to hurt people is essential. I don't and won't go over everything in detail as it isn't needed and would do more harm than good.

Bucklord and traveller22 like this.
  2. traveller22

traveller22 Fapstronaut

Yeah, the right timing is absolutely key for achieving an optimal outcome for the relationship. When guys get on the wagon & really want to nail PMO, it's easy to jump straight into confessing to a partner, without realising that it might be completely out of the blue & a real bombshell.

Every situation is different, so we have to all tread carefully & be wise.

Moment by moment we move forward.

T22.

3. Bucklord

Bucklord Fapstronaut

That. Was highly inspirational. Thank you for the earthly wisdom my fellow traveller

It seems like a great tool to have about me as I am a visual learner. I've found its key to have an understanding of your values (whether core, self, or arbitrary things such as the outer and inner circle) in order to quell a relapse. When we lose grasp of these virtuous connections, we shall fade back towards what we are moving away from.
    Again, thank you so much for taking the time to provide that insight. It has been more helpful than you may know.

traveller22 likes this.
  4. Bucklord

Bucklord Fapstronaut

5. traveller22

traveller22 Fapstronaut

Hi Bucklord, I'm glad you have found encouragement here. As far as timing the discussion about PMO with a partner, I think SAA have a good handle on it. The 12-Step programme lists it as Step 9 - very wise indeed, especially when we see what the first 8 steps deal with.

Wherever we are on the PMO recovery continuum, I would highly recommend people become familiar with all 12 & ideally, work through them with others. Here's a great link:

https://saa-recovery.org/OurProgram/TheTwelveSteps/

If you're interested in working through the steps on your own - not ideal but if that's all you have available, it's much better than not doing it at all - then here are some decent worksheets:

http://houstonsaa.org/recovery-resources/worksheets-and-tools/

We've got the power!

T22.

6. Bucklord

Bucklord Fapstronaut

I look to God for inspiration, for truth, and for courage. The energy he provides clears my path, but in my journey of PMO I have been working through more secular motivations.
    The worksheet is smart and I thank you for it.

7. traveller22

traveller22 Fapstronaut

Hey Bucklord. I'm glad you are finding the worksheet useful.

We go forward.

T22.

8. kk76

kk76 Fapstronaut

Try and be honest in your life too but with tact...

"Did you enjoy the dinner I made you?"

"No, it was bloody awful"

Honesty to the extreme.

Today I have been troubled about sending an amend to an ex. I share that and even layfh that as we were in bed this morning I was thinking of my ex. It's meant in the correct context of correcting my past but I can share look this is troubling me.

9. wanabefree

wanabefree Fapstronaut

I think I know what you mean.
    If we tell ourselves that "it is okay to relapse" we may interpret that in a way that we start feeling okay about making excuses about relapsing. If we tell ourselves that it is NOT okay to relapse then we force ourselves to not find excuses to make it okay to relapse.

In this way, we remain vigilant and alert.

Rav70 likes this.
  10. Rav70

Rav70 Fapstronaut

11. traveller22

traveller22 Fapstronaut

Yeah, staying vigilant & alert is key. The PMO Monkey is clever & expert at getting us to start rationalising, making deals, flirting with it etc.

More power to all warriors out there.

T22.

oreogirl, wanabefree and Rav70 like this.