1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How does one go about making new friends....in their 30's?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by HooEmAi, Jan 14, 2018.

1. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

Just as the title suggests. I live in an apartment. I don't drink. So there goes the options of "neighbor folk" and "barhoppin'." Hmm. I'm not lonely, per se, but I think it would be nice to have a friend close by to share interests with. I like to go fishing, working out, and half-ass waxing philosophy. I'd like to get into woodcarving and even book-clubbing as well. Woodcarving, I'm still figuring out where/how to begin.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Ask yourself where people that share your interests would spend their time at. Stores? Classes? Gym? Websites / forums? Meetup groups?

When you're at the place, act as if the people are friends you haven't seen in a while. Be social and friendly with everyone. Ask questions and share knowledge. Talk about your interests. After a few times of seeing and interacting with each other on a regular basis, you'll have built enough rapport to invite them to certain things if you want to.

Don't make this complicated. Just think of children on a playground. They play with others that are doing the same things they want to do (monkey bars / sand castles / slides / etc). It will only be awkward if you make it awkward. That's why I gave you the advice of treating everyone like an old friend you haven't seen in a while. Skip the introductions and just start sharing ("hey check this out" / "hey what do you know or think about this?").

Sananafraz likes this.
  3. diogo431509

diogo431509 Fapstronaut

@elevate gave a nice answer. I was asking myself the same. I think I am too weird to have friends and at my age I'm starting to accept it (31).

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

So find weird people to be friends with.

Do you really think that you're the weirdest person out there? That you're the only one of your kind?

Accept that you're weird, but also accept that it's not an excuse.

Deleted Account and Sananafraz like this.