1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How long did it take y’all to get used to driving?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by aztx.1998, Oct 26, 2017.

1. aztx.1998

aztx.1998 Fapstronaut

So the last time I drove for practice was Early August 2017, and just got back practicing two days ago (10/24). My biggest thing is the turning the signal on, doing that gradual stop, and making left/right turn correctly.

How long did it take y’all to get used to the car?

letter likes this.
  2. Honestly, I don't even remember... it happens pretty quick though, I think. Took me a lot longer to get used to driving a stick, but I did that too eventually. You'll get it! I was a baby when I first started driving. I didn't even go outside my 25mph neighborhood the first time I drove with the instructor, and I don't think I ever went on the freeway with her in the three times we drove together. But I barely even remember what that was like now. You'll get used to it before you know it.

aztx.1998 likes this.
  3. I've been driving since I was 12. Before I drove a car I drove bikes and ATVs. And lawn mowers and tractors and go-carts. So I feel like I've always driven something. I think it's like any other skill--longer you're away from it the longer it takes to get your groove back.

aztx.1998 likes this.
  4. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Driving? I drive @IGY insane all the time, especially when I say stuff like “Madeleine McCann was actually raptured.”

tweeby likes this.
  5. 1.5 weeks after I got my license

6. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I was a mechanic, got used to driving very very quickly. When you understand how a car works, driving one is all the easier.

7. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

8. Byris

Byris Fapstronaut

Got my license 2 weeks ago. Pretty used to it by now, my only problem is I have trouble in parking lots, so instead of risking hitting another car, I take my time and change directions more than necessary. If you can, go on a trip this weekend and just drive for like 10 hours, that'll get you in the hang of it.

aztx.1998 likes this.
  9. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

It took me a couple months to get real comfortable behind the wheel. Now I’ve been driving for 17 years.

aztx.1998 likes this.
  10. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

The first time driving was weird. I drove about 10km on an empty stretch of road. Every time an oncoming car came, I got a bit anxious and swerved to the left because I was frightened. But that was when I was younger.

By a few weeks later, I was comfortably going 130kph on the motorway.

It really depends how often you practice.

aztx.1998 likes this.
  11. aztx.1998

aztx.1998 Fapstronaut

Oh my god yes! I am struggling with parking too especially getting out the parking

12. aztx.1998

aztx.1998 Fapstronaut

LOL how can I be u?

13. Couple of weeks for me. Depends on where you live too(get use to the traffic environment). I live in Florida and the drivers are so bad. But be better than them and use your turn signals and obey the signs.

aztx.1998 likes this.
  14. aztx.1998

aztx.1998 Fapstronaut

I live in Houston, TX, where there are some crazy drivers in my area

15. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Been driving almost two years now. It takes a fair bit of time before it becomes second nature I'd say a few months. The key is to drive all the time and drive a regular route to and from a place you go like work or school. As soon as you get the experience from doing it continuously you will be used to it. And Don't be fearful. Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true. Don't get too overconfident either though. I've had some close calls overestimating myself.

16. Lazylicious

Lazylicious Fapstronaut

Just drive all the time everywhere, I'd say it takes about 1-2 months to get comfortable and some more months to do it without even thinking too much about it.

17. Rikardo

Rikardo Fapstronaut

It's a long time since I learned and longer still since I started driving on the farms round here.

The test to get a licence here in the UK is designed to ensure a level of competence and compliance with road rules. From getting into the instructors car for the first time to passing I think it was a couple of months for me. From passing my test to becoming a confident, competent driver was longer. It is fair to say you should never really stop learning.

I've seen this applied to other things but it is perfect for driving.

Unconscious Incompetence
    This is where you are before you get into the car for the first time. You don't know anything, and you don't even know how much that you don't know

Conscious Incompetence
    This is the early stages. For some the first couple of hours, for others longer. You know how far from being competent you are, you know you are not very good at driving. This is definitely the learner driver state. Basic stuff will still be hard (clutch/gears... smooth driving etc)

Conscious Competence
    You are doing everything right. You are aware you are doing everything right but you still think about each an every action you take in both car control and roadcraft.

Unconscious Competence
    This is where the majority of people who drive are now. The act of driving can take place without any brainpower assigned to it - you can get in, drive to your destination and not have to think about any of it.

Now I would argue that while most folks drive in a state of Unconscious Competence this is not 100% right. Ideally everyone should take half a step back and have a degree of Conscious Competence about their driving. Otherwise everything is on mental autopilot which ultimately reduces reaction times and increases chance of errors.