1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Be an "Alpha Male", According to Wolves

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by 虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Alright this is for those guys who might lack confidence or feel less than a real man, I know you're out there based on how many times I've seen the term alpha dropped on the forum in the past. I don't like using the terms 'alpha' and 'beta' to describe human beings but I know some people struggle with these terms and they can't really be blamed it's more of society and the mass media who are at fault for deceiving them with utter hogwash.

Think You Know What “Alpha Male” Means? These Wolves Will Prove You Wrong
    The wolves of Yellowstone have some surprising lessons on being a man.

What Alpha Wolves are REALLY Like | The Art of Manliness

The Alpha Male Myth | The Art of Manliness

And of course this gem of an article from Cracked:

"Stop Hiding Behind the "Alpha" Label

[​IMG]

You are not an alpha male; you're just being marketed to. Some jaded hipster dickhead in lensless eyeglasses that cost more than your house used the entire "alpha" movement to sell you energy drinks and those shirts that look like douchebag scrimshaw.

Human beings are not wolves. We're not even pack hunters anymore. Modern society has no place for an alpha, a beta, or anything resembling a carnivorous predatory social structure. "Alpha" is just a positive-sounding synonym for "asshole," and it is not an acceptable excuse for behaving like a cocksock, because the sad reality is, there is never an excuse for behaving like a cocksock. Wouldn't it be nice if there were? If there were some social theory, psychological disorder, or gypsy curse you could use to excuse your off-putting behavior? It sure would. But there never has been, and there never will be. It was all a giant lie sold to you by Big Energy to trick you into a mild stimulant addiction, an untruth you received free with every three-pack of TapouT shirts.

I understand why it seems reasonable at first. What is an alpha male if not a beloved antihero, a Wolverine or Han Solo type? Did you agree with that statement? You shouldn't have. It was a trick. See, the alpha mentality slipped through our cultural defenses on the back of an actual truth: Confidence and, yes, even cockiness is attractive.

Here's the difference: An alpha male embraces the label because he secretly suspects that he might be a face full of dicks and he needs a way to spin that into a positive thing. A confident man would shun the very concept of labels because he knows that that's the shit insecure people use to feel accepted. The very second you open your mouth to self-identify as "alpha," you're admitting that you're too insecure to face life alone and on your own terms. You're giving everybody who speaks to you a disclaimer: "I'm going to be a dick to you, and here's why it's OK and you still have to like me." A truly confident man would never give enough of a shit to make that statement.

Being an asshole is like being an alcoholic: The first and most important step is realizing and admitting it. You're not a party animal if you're throwing up rotgut in the parking lot of a Circle K, and you're not an "alpha" if you're harassing uninterested women and trying to start fights with the smallest guy at the bar."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Aiyoshi and The |E|volutionary like this.
  2. Hmmm not all 'alpha' males are assholes. Bit of a generalisation isn't it? Yes some are but them some aren't. There is a difference between assertiveness and aggression. I feel from this article and the fact that you have posted it that you do not consider yourself either of those two things.

Grlt and Jesum9 like this.
  3. As far as the article goes.... again it sounds like it was written from someone who has perhaps had a bad experience in the past and decided to label all assertive males as assholes. Reality is that society needs strong people in it who act as such... sounds like the writer is avoiding some of his own issues.

Grlt and Jesum9 like this.