1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to be more social?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DrRobotronic, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DrRobotronic

DrRobotronic Fapstronaut

I've noticed that for probably the later half of last year, and continuing on to this year I haven't really been socializing enough. Probably only going out 2-3 times a month if that.

This has lead to me spending more time at home, in front of a screen. Playing video games, browsing social media and Reddit, watching YouTube videos and yes, PMO. Some of these are okay in moderation, but this was not the case.

I'm finding it hard to be social since I'm used to being the one in my friends group who makes the plans, I'll say let's go do activity X on Friday. I'll text some people and we'll go out. But I've found like me, people are opting to stay in more and more, mostly due to increased work from school or jobs.

So I'll decide to stay in, instead of going out and doing something by myself. I know for me, doing something social once or twice a week would be ideal, as I really find it boosts my mood and sense of well being. But I'm kind of stuck in a loop of staying indoors since I feel like I have no one who wants to hang out with me.

Anyone struggle with this, or have advice on how to be consistently social?

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  2. ALPHABat

ALPHABat Fapstronaut

I struggle with this aswell. The solution to this is to make more friends. I'm reading a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. It's amazing. I've already started using some of the principles mentioned in the book and I must say, I've made some more friends in college!
    You want to be consistently social? Just get out of your room! Go for a walk, join a gym, go to parties without your friends make some new ones there.
    Google the negative effects of social media / facebook. I've deleted the facebook app, snapchat and instagram app from my mobile and I am more emotionally stabe now. I don't feel my life is shit anymore. I mean.. I'm more happy now. I don't give a f*ck about what's going on other people's lives. Take a 30 day break from social media and see how your brain forces you to go out and socialize!

3. DrRobotronic

DrRobotronic Fapstronaut

I've put a hold on that book at my public library, I've seen it recommended a lot. I'm trying to give up playing video games for a little bit, mostly to be more productive.

I do go to the gym pretty regularly, I guess I can attempt to be more social there, I'm not really sure how to go to parties if you don't know anyone there.

I'd try going for walks if it wasn't the middle of winter, no one is walking around looking to socialize in Canada this time of year!

Lazarus Shuttlesworth and oooo like this.
  4. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

I have exactly the same problem, i have a few friends but only one whit which i go out to party's and i am not every week going to party's.
    I want to have some more social contact with people but i do not really know how to step up to people and become good friends with.
    Most people in the gym are not really open to socialize i think. I know a few people who i talk often with at the gym, they are friendly but i don't know
    how i should ask to go and chill because i think they have their own lives. Meetup is not really being used where i live since i do not live in a big city.

5. plongeur

plongeur Fapstronaut

Join an improv theatre class or learn Salsa dancing.

6. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Go to the website meetup.com. It's free and you will find lot's of groups doing activities near you. I'm sure you can find something you like doing and a group of people that will be doing it. It's a start, good luck.

quickpint likes this.
  7. quickpint

quickpint Fapstronaut

Couldnt agree more with nomo, meetup.com has really helped me make new freinds. Its a great way to meet lots of new people, and because everyone goes to events with an expectation they will be meeting new people there is none of the awkwardness you might get by just trying to talk to a complete stranger elsewhere.