1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Build Willpower

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SolidStance, Nov 1, 2015.

1. We need willpower in order to move. Without willpower, we couldn’t move the body out of bed in the morning; it’s that natural to us. But having extraordinary willpower to conquer addictions takes training. How do we train and build willpower?

One of the most common ways we can do this is through our day to day activities. Each task we perform, we must complete it. Leave no stone unturned. Leaving open-ended tasks sends a message to ourselves that we are allowed to do things and never finish them. No, that ends today. We start something, we finish it or make a full and complete plan on how and when the project finishes.

Do every task or project better than you expected. By outperforming our own expectations, trying just a little harder, and pushing just a little bit more, we build willpower. We make the willpower muscle stronger, letting it know we do not do things half-hearted. Putting the cap back on the toothpaste, turning off light switches, not letting laundry pile up, these things are not separate from willpower. Everything we do a little better than before enhances willpower. When the urge to masturbate comes, our training will kick in and trigger success since pushing harder and going the extra mile is no longer unfamiliar to us. The same technique can be applied to exercise called progressive resistance. If you understand how to break down a muscle and rebuild it, then you understand building willpower.

The foundation of willpower is profound. The more willpower you use, the more willpower you have. Willpower is not like a bank account, using it up and depleting it. Willpower is a driving force that, when used, actually comes back to us in larger amounts. We have to actually use our will in order to get more. The will does not run out from constant use, it increases over and over and over again.

Willpower is also the same as energy. The real us—this soul—is pure energy, pure willpower. Once we tap into that we can achieve great things. But we must cultivate it. We have to keep using willpower, keep using our energy, keep using our awareness to observe whats going on around us and react with intuition and intellect, not instinct. Once developed we get real inner strength that reflects in everything around us. If we slip and fall, it’s easily returned to us by remembering the highest point we reached in life. Nothing disappears or goes away, it is there the whole time.

Memory must be used if we sink too low. We can get out of our slump by remembering what we once were or the possibility of what can be. Then it’s only a matter of turning it back up. Just like lighting a pilot on a stove that blew out. The gas is there the whole time, we just need a spark.

You are willpower. You don’t really gain anything. In essence we simply find what was already there. Imagine, you are willpower itself. Remember that, when something resists you. How can something not be possible? You are pure willpower. You decide what happens from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Good one, mate!
    You mind if I write a more detailed report on this for my Barrier Breach series?

3. oh not at all. Please take it, I will be writing alot more in hopes of helping those in need. You may have all of it.

4. Lunar Devil

Lunar Devil Fapstronaut

This word always hooked me. In my research I have found a popular concept and an esoteric concept. Popular one is the one described in those colourless articles on google. It is what scientists say we have a limited amount of. It is mainly affected by the clarity of mind/memory of the present moment of the individual. Hence 'breaht meditation' (the common one going around on the internet) can help improve it. It helps to bring clarity to the 'inner listener' when listening to the many 'voices' inside ones head. You get the point. The esoteric concept I found in William walker atkinson, in one of his books. It depends on how much you feel yourself. On the ability to feel the real self. He says/reveals naming it will-power is wrong. The will is strong enough, the will is the ether that is everywhere, the force freemasons call 'god' or napoleon hill calls 'divine providence' (I think, not 100% sure). So you see every organism is a small vortex in the ether. The more you will the more you 'circulate' through you. To imrpvoe the willpower he gives the following exercise: 1. Chill. 2. You ought to feel as if the body is a piece of cloth. It comes harder for some easier for others. [Speechless I know, I tried/try, its hard to do it let alone explain]. The more strongly you 'feel' your 'true self' the more your willpower. Your eyes and face will become 'hypnotic'. He says and gives account of people in Hitler's life that met him when he was young. "Not once have I met someone with a more hypnotic gaze than young Adam Hitler". Hitler, yes, was very hypnotic no doubt about that/research needed for it. But apparently he had this natural 'talent'.

5. I want to build on willpower a little more. Theres a feature to it that we might not realize.

The more willpower we use, the more we get in return for next time. In other words, willpower does not run out the more we spend, its not like a bank account. If we can push and push and push, day after day after day, the willpower "account" inside us increases with each use. Think about it.

GREGOR hulse and liferay like this.
  6. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

I try to have will power in all aspects of life. Like try to have a holistic approach. I write more neatly that I used to, try to make less typos. I don't procrastinate trimming my nails, or shaving.

7. Yes thats exactly it Tired, its the little things that make big impacts. It trains us to always be aware of whats going on around us.

Putting the cap back on the toothpaste, turning off light switches, not letting laundry pile up, these things are not separate from willpower. Everything we do a little better than before enhances willpower.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
    GREGOR hulse likes this.
  8. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

I brush using my left hand. I'm right handed so it's tough to brush teeth using the left-handed. but i read somewhere that this helps the brain build new pathways. And at times i'm too tired so i try to solve some puzzle on newspaper. like simple math puzzle or Sudoku.

9. scote73

scote73 Fapstronaut

Love the post, @SolidStance . So simple, yet it seems so effective if one can execute exactly what you described. Finishing what I start, doing what I say I'm going to do, are things that I have to work on personally. Seeing as you've gone 22 days, I'm going to go on a limb and say it's working for you, so maybe I should follow your lead ;)

battleready and SolidStance like this.
  10. The most profound lessons in my life have usually been the most simple ones. But they are difficult to apply.

Once these simple princples are internalized, becoming habits, they are performed just as breathing is.

11. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

Procrastination and laziness makes our willpower weak...but like you said,
    I'm trying to fight laziness, boost my Will and get things done..That alone will lead us to realizing our life purpose.
    Let's keep company and grow together into persons of substance and willpower!

Bemybest, SuperTux and SolidStance like this.
  12. Jodokus

Jodokus Fapstronaut

things can be so simple! Thank you!
    I'm happy that now I will get an alert if somebody posts on this thread.

SolidStance likes this.
  13. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

Trying to concentrate on academics, but I'm just not able to focus. I have the will to study, but I not able to put it into action..people who have had similar experiences and overcome it, please share your ideas so that I might help myself.

Bemybest likes this.
  14. Take it in small steps. If our goals are too high, we will over shoot and end up failing. Start small and build up. Start with small victories, one after another. That will produce confidence and success. Can you focus for one minute? set that goal. Then tell yourself after that minute you can un-focus for two minutes, then get back to focus for two minutes, and up and up and up.

black_coyote likes this.
  15. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

From what you said, I just realized that even 60 seconds of activity fueled by resolve and willpower counts.

I'll try my best..Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it!

16. 1 minute, 60 seconds, of ACTUAL focus, is stronger and more dynamic than hours of struggling.

black_coyote likes this.
  17. The foundation of willpower is profound. The more willpower you use, the more willpower you have.

Willpower is not like a bank account, using it up and depleting it. Willpower is a driving force that, when used, actually comes back to us in larger amounts. We have to actually use our will in order to get more. The will does not run out from constant use, it increases over and over and over again.

Willpower is also the same as energy, which is also the same as awareness. As a mystic I believe that we are pure awareness, as souls, not bodies. So, our real "us", this soul, is pure energy, pure willpower. Once we tap into that we can achieve great things. But this has to be nurtured once cultivated. We have to keep using willpower, keep using our energy, keep using our awareness to observe whats going on around us and react with intuition and intellect, not instinctiveness. Once developed, we get real inner strength that reflects in everything around us. If we slip and fall, its easily returned to us by remembering the highest point we reached in life. Nothing disappears or goes away, its there the whole time.

Memory must be used if we sink too low. We can get out of our slump by remembering what we once were or the possibility of what can be. Then its only a matter of turning it back up. Its like lighting a pilot on a stove that blew out. The gas is there the whole time, we just need a spark.

black_coyote and im_alive like this.
  18. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

Hey Solidstance!
    Ever since I understood the importance of willpower in life (thanks to you)...I've been trying to cultivate it..

Failed a lot many times...many a times laziness and procrastination just hovered around triumphantly leaving me frustrated and angry. But I told myself "Hold on. Don't give up!"

Little by little I began to improve. Now when I'm aware of my responsibilities and yet wasting time...some force within urges me...resists my inactivity. Kind of persuades me to get up and act. I think that's willpower in action.

I don't have the credibility to make observations on this issue because I'm at ground zero..yet, I think I'm rising.

Thank you very much ss! your post was quite an 'eye opener' for me!

SolidStance likes this.
  19. SunDrew

SunDrew Fapstronaut

I recently listened to a podcast and one of the guys was talking about this navy seal who runs 100 miles with only crackers and water to fuel him. The man did over 4000 pull ups in one day. He had 3rd degree burns on his hand as he was setting the record from the friction of the bar. He says, "When you think you are done, you are only 40% of the way there."

I find this quote to be inspiring and true. When we think we are done, we just need to push past what we think is our potential. Our mind wants to conserve energy and our reservoir is so much more full than we ever believe. The hardest part about opening the reservoir is the act of opening it. Once it opens, it floods out and nothing can stop it. However, that initial act is most of the effort it takes. Open your reservoir's friends and strive for greatness.

SolidStance and black_coyote like this.
  20. Yes that force is energy, willpower or awareness. That force is the real you.

The second part is untrue. You are willpower. You dont really gain anything. In essence, we simply find what was already there.

Imagine, you are willpower itself. Remember that when something resists you. How can something not be possible? You are pure willpower. You decide what happens from here on out.

black_coyote likes this.