1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW TO GIVE IT TO GOD?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Okay so a couple of months ago an acquaintance of mine who struggled with the same addiction as many of us are said that she was able to beat it by giving it Jesus. I thought it was weird at first until someone from bible study mentioned that they were able to over come it by doing the same thing.

I have been struggling to beat this addiction for 5 years as well as struggling with my faith. So I figured why not post this question. Have any of you done the same thing as the two people listed? If so how did you do it?

2. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

Proverbs 3:5-6: "5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

When people say things like 'give it to Jesus', they usually mean that you pray to Him about the situation and don't let it worrying you, knowing that He will work according to His will.
    • Ask Him in prayer to help you overcome
    • When you try to resist, or whatever means you use in your fight (e.g. web blockers, routines, etc) is backed up by prayer - success will not be because of your own strength but Jesus' strength. I've tried all sorts of things in the past but progress has been incredibly slow. All I can really do is pray. The major change in my life that led to my current streak is joining NoFap and asking others to pray too. They too are in this sense 'giving my problem to Jesus'
    • They trust God to help them stop according to His timing (it will not necessarily be straight away. It's taken me at least 20 years to get where I am but I would still call myself an addict)

3. Great question. Check out the Information tab for some answers to get you started. This is the fight of (and for) our lives. We are all on this journey together. Welcome!

Gina3111 and ferret XD like this.
  4. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I have often wondered about this question and the related statement my mother frequently said to me when I was distressed, "offer it up to Jesus".

The answer, I believe, is so incredibly simple that it frequently eludes us. Imagine yourself as a very young child, perhaps 3 or 4 years old. At that age, we look up to our parents as the ultimate sources of direction and protection. We do so unquestioningly. How much more so is this appropriate with our Father, a being of infinite love, mercy and wisdom? As children of God, we can find genuine peace and joy by putting all of our trust in Him. Once we become aware of the peace and joy that flows to us by trusting Him implicitly, we long for it more and more.

Our sinful earthly desires of the flesh detract from that joy and they certainly don't bring peace. As our desire for God grows, our desire for sin diminishes and becomes controllable. Personally, I don't think the devil will ever stop tempting us, so beware of those conditions when you are most vulnerable, but by giving ourselves to God we can grow the strength of our resistance.

Gina3111, ferret XD, geester and 2 others like this.
  5. I think a better way to look at this is that we are called to surrender our will and seek God's will constantly. This puts "give it to Jesus" in proper perspective. It's not simple but a process where we are sanctified and surrender more and more of our whole self to God continually. This means EVERYTHING. Our emotions, our understanding, our reason, our conscience, our motives, our desires (including sexual), our decision making, and our faith. This is accomplished by practicing spiritual disciplines of daily time in the word, meditation, prayer, verse memorization, worship, gratitude, fellowship, and staying in his presence and in communication with God constantly.

ferret XD, Gina3111, XandeXIV and 2 others like this.
  6. I am so working on this and need to try harder.

ferret XD and CPilot like this.
  7. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Me too!

Gina3111 and ferret XD like this.
  8. CPilot, Gina3111 and ferret XD like this.
  9. It’s a never ending process and is not perfect until Heaven. There is also a proportional growing love, affection, and fellowship with Jesus through the spirit at the same time. This closeness makes us want to surrender and do his will more and more.

ferret XD and Gina3111 like this.