1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to grow balls (or have guts)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Sep 23, 2019.

1. I think you're not supposed to say grow balls anymore so that's why I added that...

Don't tell me exposure therapy. Exposure therapy is nonsense.
    Bit of back story.. I was always very shy with women. In my mid 20s I started going out/online dating and did surprisingly well. But it never got easier. That initial moment before you went in always made me psych my self up before hand and filled me with anxiety.
    I use women as an example. This is not my current issue. Just an example.
    I do not want to be terrified an apprenhesive about everything anymore.
    Who's had success with this?

2. Robinthehood

Robinthehood Fapstronaut

I think the more you do something the easier it gets. Same model as exposure therapy I suppose. Pushing out of your comfort zone is where one grows, one of the ways. Out there in the fear zone. Every time you feel the fear or anxiety, whatever, and do it anyway, you will get stronger. You come to know that you can do it.

dethly likes this.
  3. Somehow... Could never make it effective..I relived the same anxiety over and over. It just... It was the same moment. That's why I figured why do new things if they're so scary. I want to do things because I enjoy them. Not because I feel like I should have to do them.

4. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Sometimes you have to relive that anxiety many more times than you wish in order to defeat that anxiety, and sometimes that anxiety will always be there to a certain extent, you just learn to handle it better. I really don't see any other way to have guts, or to be more confident in certain situations. If there was another way, I would have figured it out years ago lol!

5. My theory always went deeper... Not so much how to deal with anxiety or get used to it. But how to get your brain to accept that there's actually nothing to be afraid of.
    That's what I'm really looking for

6. bestbacon

bestbacon Fapstronaut

Rather than the feeling of anxiety might you be able to reframe it as excitement?

7. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Can't give you more advice than, experience in everything - will make you grow. Learn from failure, don't hate failure. Learn from what you did good, and learn how to do it even better.

An other idea, since you used dating as an example, is that every time you are on a date. You will meet a new person. A new person regarding dating can be very different from the last one, which may change the situation a lot?

And change of mindset is also important. Example: A person who don't belive in themself, how much do you think they will work to reach a goal? Little-to-nothing. A person who belive in themself no matter what, how much do you think they will work to reach a goal? A lot is the answer. Beliving in yourself, will change a lot. It does not matter how good or bad things goes sometimes, and it may be scary a lot of time, but when you don't give up you reach your goals. If you don't keep trying, you lose by default.

(Before reading the next part; I don't know if this will be related to you or not, but just wanted to point it out, and maybe it can help you).
    An other reason I may think of regarding dating (since that was the example), is that a lot of people put a lot of "value" when they are meeting a person that may become their girl/boy -friend. A lot of people feel a "need" to be liked, when what really matters is what you feel about yourself, not what they think. They may think you are the best person in the world, but if you don't belive it, how can the feeling of anxiety everytime change? A lot may not really be about the situation itself, but more about you(?) How do you really feel about yourself.
    (And one more thing: A lot of people put the potential partner on a "throne", they belive they need them to become happy and confident, but in reality it is all about you - they won't change you).

Regarding that you wrote on the post here I want to add a video. That shows why you should face fear, and not just feel safe:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    kludgy likes this.
  8. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Absolutely love that video! It's so unfortunate that so many of us choose to remain on the wrong side of fear.

9. Great post my man. Deserved more than a thumbs up. I appreciate that comment!

10. Try to discover your feelings better. If the next time you get anxious, sit back, take abit of time and breath. Not really to reduce the anxiety! Now try to go into your inner self and discover how it feels, try to understand that feeling fully. I think that is really the way to do it, you will start to understand and you will learn what to do.

This helped me a lot. It is some kind of meditation, and if you could add meditating regularly on your habit list it will be easier. I really started to discover feelings and be aware of them (before that I was that type of man who said emotions are gay)

Also search up on a thread called "A Primer on dealing with negative emotions" (or something similar) here on NoFap. This is another technique to get aware.

11. In order to get back my courage and daring i had to get back in touch with my primal self / warrior self. This is that energy which is beastly and free of control of the mind as it has its own intelligence.

In order to do that i did the following:

1 - Regular excercise and heavy lifting
    2 - Growling, jumping and making noise when possible
    3 - Eating raw and unprocessed food

When you get in touch with this energy it will help you push through your mind games of anxiety and fear

Goodluck

12. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Exposure therapy is not nonsense.

I think the trick is to make overcoming fear a habit. This aint easy, I'm still working on it myself but I think the trick is to work with small fears first. I will leave you with a quote:
    'Courage isn't getting rid of fear, it is acting despite it.'