1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to improve handwriting

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 6, 2020.

1. I am one of those guy who feel ashamed when it comes to writing . I am serious towards improving my handwriting and would appreciate your reviews

2. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

My hand writing is not that good aswell :)
    But as you said, writing slower makes it ten times better. Just gotta get used to writing slower and from there try to keep it good and stable by speeding up gradually.

AngelofDarkness and Roady like this.
  3. d34dly

d34dly Fapstronaut

My Grandparents both used to have really beautiful, almost artistic, handwriting. When asked they told me it was because back in the the day they had a school subject that literally translates into "beautiful/nice writing". This consisted of hours of writing and transcribing and beeing graded on the beauty of the writing. The Take away is of course you need to practise. A lot.

Johnthesavage and Gamebred305 like this.
  4. I'm also trying to improve my handwriting. Mine looks worse than a child just learning how to write.

As stated before, going slow and practicing whenever you can makes it easier. One thing I struggle with is holding the pen correctly. If you're like me and have been holding the pen wrong all your life, it will take a lot of time to retrain your hand and mind. Just keep at it!

5. So the conclusion is to practice slow writing and start increasing your speed as the days pass

Cathcart22 likes this.
  6. I am a perfectionist so for me every stroke of the pen is my absolute best, I write in cursive so I have super pretty hand writing, my advice is do your absolute best and practice cursive.

7. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I think my handwriting is horrible because I was taught to write in cursive throughout most of grade school and at some point switched to regular print. Taking the pen on and off the paper is what throws me off I assume.

Gamebred305 likes this.
  8. I have better than average print but amazing cursive, just practice it daily.

Gamebred305 and Mistersofty like this.
  9. You won’t understand the shame of guyz like me

10. You can go slow but I don't like going slow haha. For me, I wanted a confident hand that was fast. Wherever I could write several letters without breaking the pen from the page I would. Now all of my writing is full of ligatures. Now for instance I can write the word "the" in a single stroke, and this is in my own hand and not in cursive. My cursive for about a year was garbage before I slowed it down though but now I can write it with speed and legibility and it looks nice when I slow down to accentuate the characters.

What kind of hand do you want to write in? There's many different options and some of them come down to the pen style you choose too. I prefer a pen to be oozing ink because I like to glide across the page without stopping as much as possible. I like big, right-leaning handwriting. Whenever I found a way to draw a letter that I liked I learned it too so I could use it in my own writing.

Okay I'm rambling a bit haha, but here's my advice to you. Good handwriting is as unique and varied as handwriting itself, but bad handwriting is fairly uniform:

1. The slant of the letters is all over the place. Some leaning right and some leaning left. All your letters should lean one direction. I don't like "backhanded" (left leaning) writing but I have seen at least one left handed man who had really neat and legible cursive. But I think if you're a right handed man your letters should lean more to the right.

2. The spacing between letters. This is another thing that should be uniform as well. Not too much space and not too little.

3. The size should all be the same, excluding capitals of course.

Basically, bad writing is irregular writing. Find a uniform script or alphabet and make it your own and then practice, practice, practice until you can do it with speed. Not all good handwriting is cursive and not all cursive is good. Improve your regular script and then cursive will become obvious to you because all the points where you want to connect your letters will appear.

11. No shame if you are trying to improve yourself.

Gamebred305 likes this.
  12. CrazyRat

CrazyRat New Fapstronaut

The handwriting was always a big issue for me. When I was a child my teacher of English literature shouted at me because of bad handwriting. I was trying to improve it, but years passed and nothing changed. Now I work for the uk essay writing service and no one cares about the way I write. And what is the point in improving the handwriting in the 21th century when you can easily type everything?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Gamebred305 likes this.
  13. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

Phase A.
    1. You need to understand how neat letters look.
    2. Practice each letter many times.
    3. Try writing words with the new letters you learned in 1 and 2.
    4. Go to sentences.
    5. Paragraphs.
    6.Pages.

Phase B.
    Try all the above steps with more speed.

It’s hard, it takes time. Maybe a month.

My mother’s a certified Handwriting Teacher. I’m telling you it takes efforts.
    So do it.
    God Bless.

14. Thanks for the advice dude . i am hoing to follow these for sure

thinking_differently likes this.
  15. You are right but we should be prepared when the time comes for writing down something

16. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

When I was in 9th grade my English teacher told me I had to fix my lower-case r and n. That was my homework for the day: sitting and writing several lines of r's and n's. And what do you know? It worked.

So find nice looking letters and just copy them several times, just like in kindergarten and 1st grade.

Chris_Cactusblossom likes this.
  17. This is the coolest thing I've heard in ages!

thinking_differently likes this.
  18. subway14

subway14 Fapstronaut

people have always complimented me on my handwriting and I've only recently understood why it's so good
    [​IMG]
    because I hold the pencil like this:
    [​IMG]
    it adds extra pressure and that way the pencil shakes less so you're getting straighter lines

the bad thing about it tho is that your hand is swiping the text above the line so you're getting your hand dirty while writing (lefties can relate)

19. i write in cursive outside of work always have, i have a pretty heavy hand i would say, i have to take breaks because my hand starts hurting from how strongly i hold the pen.