1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to keep my partner happy during hardmode?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by locked boy nyc, May 25, 2021.

1. locked boy nyc

locked boy nyc Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

so I'm in a relationship but trying to do a full hardmode reboot to kick PMO for good. Obviously I can't completely give up all sexual contact to do this though or my relationship would fall apart. But I also understand that continuing to O during a reboot massively slows down progress or even just makes it impossible.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience taking care of their partner sexually through oral sex (or otherwise) during an otherwise hardmode reboot. My thought is that by focusing on connecting with my partner and giving pleasure rather than focusing on myself, I can stay true to the spirit of the reboot and keep my energy and attention where it belongs. I tried this last weekend and it actually felt amazing. My clothes stayed on and I just enjoyed the connection and intimacy of being with my partner. After we were done, I didn't feel any urges or anything like that, in fact the idea of PMO in that moment just seemed really selfish and sad, and instead I felt so relaxed and calm, almost like the best parts of getting a sexual release combined with the best parts of retention.

Anyway, it seemed to work for me so I'm going to keep trying, but I'm wondering anyone has thoughts on this. Will this slow down my reboot?

2. DefendMyHeart

DefendMyHeart Fapstronaut

Is she understanding of hard mode?
    I know some guys on here still have sex with their wives during recovery and seem to be okay whereas others seem to relapse frequently. My husband and I, in the beginning, just continued to be intimate. This severely slowed down his progress. Now, we only do it "as needed" which varies but isnt often. The longest we went was around 70 days. He is still working towards total abstinence on his part because after those 70 days, we were intimate, then again 2 weeks later and I believe the chaser effect got a hold of him (played a part, anyway. Not going to excuse it totally because he had become very complacent with his recovery) and he acted out yesterday.
    I think it depends on the person and how bad their brains have been wired towards P. There is something called karezza that some people do and it seems to work for them. My advice would be to pay close attention to what happens directly following an intimate encounter with your SO for several days to see how it impacts you. If your cravings and/or urges get stronger afterwards, it could be an indication that abstaining totally for awhile would be beneficial.

hope4healing likes this.
  3. locked boy nyc

locked boy nyc Fapstronaut

Hi, thanks so much for your response!

He is very understanding, yes! I'm very lucky that way. He doesn't look at P ever and also never MO, I think he's one of the few guys who's just never been interested. A big part of why I'm on nofap is because I want to be a better partner for him and it makes me so sad and guilty to know that he doesn't have this problem at all and yet I'm so caught in this spiral. He understands hardmode and it's definitely a rule now that when we're intimate it doesn't result in any touching or O for me while I try to recover and refocus my energy.

We're intimate every few weeks, sometimes once a week, but in terms of doing it "as needed," it's really my partner that determines that, since I'm working hard on breaking out of the chaser cycle. When you and your husband are intimate, does he end up having an orgasm? That's what my partner and I are working to avoid, since I know the chaser effect is so powerful. Have you tried to ask him to refrain?

I think you're right about paying close attention. But unlike you, from how your post sounds, my partner isn't ok with just stopping all sexual activity between us, so our solution for now is just that I need to commit to hardmode without any P, M, or O of any kind for a while. I don't think he'd be ok with a sexless relationship, so even if this makes my recovery longer I think it's the only way it'll work. Honestly, even though right now it feels like a "sacrifice," I'm feeling really lucky that I have him to help me with this, and I'm willing to get through it for as long as it takes, even if it's a very long time.

4. DefendMyHeart

DefendMyHeart Fapstronaut

That is awesome that he is supporting you on this journey. The opposite of addiction is connection, so being able to have that connection with someone is definitely a plus in recovery. It is also great news that he has no interest in P because of how the addict mind can work against your progress. If you were both struggling at the same time, or if you wanted to quit and he didn't, it would be that much harder to quit.

My husband is also the one that determines the "as needed" part. He does refrain from O as much as possible because it does slow down his progress.

I understand our situation isn't for everyone. My husband is trying to go the more spiritual route in his recovery where he takes away identification with his body for the purpose of enlightenment. I'm okay with not engaging in sexual activity so him choosing to abstain doesn't bother me.

I do think you're on the right path for recovery in terms of what is best for you and what is best for your relationship. Engaging in P is a selfish endeavor, so learning to give without receiving pleasure in return will help to rewire those aspects of the brain.

hope4healing likes this.
  5. m1nd0v3rm4tt3r

m1nd0v3rm4tt3r Fapstronaut

I think the decision to do hardmode is personal in every relationship, but if that is what you think is best for ur recovery then definitely stick to it. It sounds like what u have tried already worked great--focusing on giving your partner pleasure and building intimacy with them even without u being physically stimulated. To me the whole point of a reboot (and NoFap in general) in a relationship is to retrain ur brain to focus on real-life stimuli and intimacy/connection with another person. For some people that means having O with their partner, for some people it means no sexual contact at all. It sounds like what u are doing now and how it makes u feel during/after is healthy and beneficial. Just keep reassessing how it affects u and go from there!