1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage post break up depression?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Amin, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Amin

Amin Fapstronaut

My girlfriend broke up with me last night and so far I don't want to jump of a cliff but its because I dismiss any thoughts about her, I don't know how long I can keep up.
    I thought she was the one, I loved everything about her but she broke up because she was afraid of me, not that I scare her, she used to say I was the purest and best person in the whole universe and the thought that maybe one day she would break my heart would kill her and she was under a lot of pressure and felt a lot of responsibility when she was with me.
    Two weeks ago I suggested that we take a temporary break to give her enough time and space to deal with her depression and pressures she felt, for the last week I missed her with all my heart and yesterday I texted her but she got mad as hell and told me she was feeling much better without me and doesn't want to get back and made this temporary break a permanent break up.
    Now I'm both confused and depressed and have two questions and would appreciate anyyyyyyy suggestion or ideas.
    1. Is it bad to get too close to your partner emotionally in the relationship? if no, how to proceed to avoid any cause of pressure and burden of responsibility?
    2. How to deal with post break up depression? What made you feel better after break-up? I really don't want to break my PM streak!

thank for reading!

Pointblank2323 likes this.
  2. Hey man, sorry about your relationship. It must be very hard for you right now, it's not a nice situation you're in.

Based on what you wrote -and I don't want to jump into conclusions but I will- the answer to the first question is yes. Let me explain. So she said that you're a really nice guy ("purest" and "best" screams nice guy) and that she felt a lot of pressure and responsibility when she was with you, because she was afraid that she might hurt you, right? I take that you're a really sensitive person. No problem with that, I'm the same. Now what my experiences tell m,e that what happened was that you made your happiness too much dependent of her. Like your only (or greatest) source for joy and happiness was her, or your relationship. Therefore she felt pressurized because she really wanted to avoid upsetting you, and maybe she had to be very cautious not to offend you in any way. Leaning on the other this much smothers them and it's a fatal poison to the relationship.

It's okay to be very close in a relationship emotionally, that's not the problem. The problem is when the other feels that they are your best support. That's too much responsibility for anyone to bear, and also unfair of you because you avoid your own responsibility to take care of yourself emotionally. Now, I cannot be sure that this happened, but does what I wrote sounds familiar?
    Well, masturbating sure won't help, so forget that. What happened happened, it's not her fault, it's not your fault. Lick your wounds, do anything to divert your mind. Your brain and soul will slowly process the negative feelings, don't worry about them. Let the natural healing take its course. But when you're feeling better, you should think about what happened, because this is a habit, and it will happen again if you don't watch out. What you should do, is to find yourself something that gives you happiness and joy, and it doesn't involve a romantic relationship. For me for example this was kung fu training and doing voluntary work. Physical exercise and being around other people helps a lot, so I'd suggest that you open up google and see what the city or district you're living in has to offer. Good luck bro!

3. Amin

Amin Fapstronaut

Pefectly!!! What you said is 100% right! How can I take care of myself emotionally? Do you have any suggestion for me?
    This may sound weird but actually the first thing that popped into my mind was getting into another relationship! I'll take your advice!

Thank you very much for your respond! It was awesome!

4. Let me see...well, there is this book called No More Mr. Nice Guy by Robert Glover, which I read a few months ago and it really helped me to see being a nice guy in a different light.

Hehh, I know your first reaction, I was the same, did the same, and it ended in a train wreck so that's why I suggest that you do otherwise. Because you see the pattern? You lean on a girl emotionally. It burdens her, finally she snaps and kicks you out. Then you think about getting in another relationship, which means...leaning on a girl emotionally, to cope with the feelings of the previous breakup. It's the same thing. As I said, it's a habit, you'd repeat the same mistake again.

Forget about relationships for a while, you'll spare a whole lot of emotional pain for you and for the others as well. Because really, you're not the only one getting hurt in a situation like this. I'd suggest joining a club in an area you like to be around people and to elevate your mood by doing stuff that you like. Ever wanted to learn dancing? Maybe how to cook? Are you interested in a foreign language? You found yourself intrigued by the guys who train in the park? Now is the time to get out, you don't have a gf which means you'll have plenty of time and money to do that.
    I'd also suggest reading the book I mentioned (it's kinda short) and maybe researching the topic even more.

Now let me give you a friendly warning. Feel free to dismiss my ideas and while agreeing with them intellectually, not do anything about it. But I promise you, this will cripple each and every relationship you'll ever have, okay? Because it's not about the girl, it's about you. So if you ever want to live in a happy and fulfilling relationship / marriage both for you and your partner, you need to do something about this.

Not easy, but I've been there, done that, it can be overcome. All the best!

5. Amin

Amin Fapstronaut

No I won't make the same mistake! Actually I saw this TEDx video an hour ago which was quite intriguing and the presenter explained marring to yourself before getting into a relationship, I think I'll go with that for now!
    Thank you EarthDragon you've been a huge help!