1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to relax and unwind

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Go All The Way, Oct 10, 2019.

1. I'm looking for ideas on healthy ways to unwind and recuperate after a long day. I'm not talking about finding a new hobby or exercising, I workout 4 days a week and am on an amateur dance team. What I'm looking for are ideas on what to do when you get home after doing these things, when you've spent all your energy for the day and just want to kick back and relax.

Currently for me that involves videos games or Netflix, both of which I can find myself easily sucked into and both of which often contain triggers. I'm looking for something to do that requires minimal effort and that will occupy me without drawing me so far in that I have a hard time pulling myself away to go to bed or do whatever else I might need to do. Any thoughts?

2. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Perhaps you should try meditation. There are a lot of ways to meditate. For me, it's more or less a breathing exercise. I try to take deep breaths and visualize all of my negative energy, as if it's shooting out of the crown of my head. It's well known in the medical community that meditation has benefits, like relief from stress and/or anxiety. When I meditate, it's as if I've fallen in love with everyone. I feel like all the negativity is gone and only love remains. Give it a shot. :)

3. I think for me it's just all about switching everything off, my mobile, my video games and just reading a book or maybe doing a bit of drawing. If I'm already tired I read a book that isn't something that I have to follow too much like a short story. Meditation and yoga are good ones for me too, especially yin yoga, it's less exercise and more just stretching out, it's very relaxing and you can find before bed yoga on Sarh Beth's YouTube channel!

4. Max666

Max666 Fapstronaut

Qigone. Recharges you with the energy

5. There isn't so many specific things you can do actually
    Just try to be in the moment without much thinking
    Like take a walk outside and listen to music you love
    Or do a basic meal that you love
    Maybe organize your room or something,any basic boring mindful thing you can do to achieve momentum
    For me I actually enjoy writing,it's kind of a meditation
    I create a realxing atmosphere, no phone no distractions, I listen to some calm music and I write something about my day, and reflect on my feelings and thoughts and how I spent my day
    I do it simply and without forcing or being so serious about it,freely expressing,I just love it, it keeps me on track with everything and reminds me of my small achievements, I just feel good
    Basically, it all falls down to meditation category, you need to cool down and clear your mind to feel good and relaxed
    It's up to you to find a way to achieve that state

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
  6. The common thread here is meditation. I've tried meditating in the past and I've always struggled with it, but perhaps that's because I've always tried the traditional seated meditation with crossed legs and straight back which is actually painful for me as I have a bad back.

Stretching might be a good alternative. I used to do that a lot as well. It just takes some energy which I dont always have, sometimes it's just too easy to plop down and pull up Netflix or whatever.

internetpioneer likes this.
  7. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

thanks for the recommendation, man!

8. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Spend time how you used to when you were small. I play cards sometimes with my brother it's so great but my brother stays away far from home most time. Still I enjoy when he's at home

9. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Read, go for a walk, stretch, meditate, journal.

Go All The Way likes this.
  10. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

What about smoking some Mary Jane ?

11. Besides it making me anxious/paranoid it would also lead me to sitting and watching netflix or playing video games. I'd be doing the same things just high instead of sober.

12. Meditation , listening to relaxing music will it be classical or any other genre.

Get scented candles or oils. Yoga can be pretty calming also accompanied with relaxing music.

Go and buy a book that you find interesting and make it a habit to read it a little bit every evening. it does not have to be information filled book, something that will take you on a journey.

Setup some kind of evening routine that would involve these type of things. I enjoy Netflix and gaming but it is hard for me to set a limit for myself regarding those things. It is easy to to stay up watching Netflix or keep playing.

Go All The Way likes this.