1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop getting colds and the flu?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I keep getting colds and the flu in the winter. Last week I came down with the flu and still have a cold. Is there anything I can do to lessen the amount of times I get colds. I can't afford being sick so much, plus I hate feeling this way.

STAR DUST likes this.
  2. Some people have a good immune systems and some don't. My mother for example hasn't been sick for more than 2 years now, just because she is in such a good condition. So it's mostly genetics but you can influence it with a good lifestyle.

The obvious ones are:
    - Cold showers
    - Good diet
    - Always dress appropriate, like don't go out in a t-shirt if it's cold as fuck
    - Get dry as fast as possible after you shower and open the window only after you wear clothes again
    - Drink a lot so your body is able to flush all the bad stuff out fast
    - You need to be active so your body isn't as vulnerable

With the methods I mentioned above I only get sick once every winter and the cold/flu goes away after 3-5 days

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Be careful in public places too. If you use the train or bus often avoid touching your face with your hands or things like that and always wash your hands as much as possible

4. Heimdall

Heimdall Fapstronaut

I highly recommend the use of Neti pot. That is the best thing I ever came across.
    I am using it for years now and since than I am sick very rarely. Maybe once a year.
    Even if I do get sick, with the neti pot is so much more bearable. No more heavily blocked nose or sinus infections. It even helps with allergies.
    Yogis using this technique in India for ages.
    Only buy the original ceramic one, not those cheap plastic ones.

5. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Good diet, more than probably anything. Manage stress and sleep. To add to those, you could supplement with vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, and magnesium. Exercise helps, if you don't overdo it. Cold exposure is also good, but again, it should be in small doses.

6. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

Only use water you've previously boiled (and cooled obviously)!

7. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

Agreed, diet high in fruits and veggies.

8. Should you have a cold shower if you have a cold?

9. If you took cold showers for some time now and your body is used to it then you can, yes. But cold showers are mainly used to improve the immune system, so they won't cure your cold if that's what you expected.

10. And get dry as fast as possible, don't leave the water on your body as this will make your cold worse

11. be active and eat clean, those are the cornerstones of good health. I'm constantly exposed to bacteria from work, drink nothing but tap water and take nothing but hot showers, yet I haven't been sick once since 2015 because I'm active and eat right.

and avoiding bacteria isn't gonna make you sick less often, in fact various studies have shown mice raised in germ free environments to have underdeveloped immune systems due to a lack of exposure. you'll notice that people who are highly germaphobic and overly clean tend to get sick fairly often

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100614171907.htm
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/it-possible-be-too-clean-researchers-say-yes-f1C6345427

also, there's no correlation between being cold and getting a cold, as far as I know. cold temperatures can actually increase the amount of cells that fight infection in your body, which is one of the reasons why cold showers are good for you

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20755836,00.html#myth-cold-air-can-make-you-sick-0

12. Gave me stomach flu

13. you sure about that?

14. The only exception to that is if you went out after a shower as your body and hair are still wet, that wouldn't be a good idea. And sometimes going out in the cold can be taxing and make your body work harder to fight off that cold or flu, but you do need a bit of exercise when you're sick though.

15. Yes I'm sure it caused it dude cold showers ain't that good for you but I think if you only use that cold water on your testicles you'll be fine

16. A little bit of cold water won't make you sick unless you live in the depths of russia, stand under a cold shower for 30 minutes and jump into a pile of snow afterwards. If you be careful like slowly getting used to cold showers as I mentioned then you won't get sick 100%. I do cold showers for quite some time now and never got sick, so you made a mistake. People in finland jump into ice cold water and never get sick and it's really really cold there.

[​IMG]

17. i add ginger, turmeric, raw honey and cinnamon
    to my daily smoothies, as well as supplementing
    with vit c ,d, magnesium, zinc ,b-complex
    and multivitamin.

chaga tea is also reputed to be quite good.

18. Skopcony

Skopcony Fapstronaut

What helped me to reduce the time I'm sick:
    - sleep well (at least 7 hours) - when i was sitting whole nights in front of my computer and sleeping 4 hours a day, as soon as I stood up I felt cold;
    - eat regularly - if you don't eat enough, your body doesn't have fuel to keep you warm, and your immune system is weakened;
    - check weather before you go out and dress apropriately
    - stop fapping (lol) - I tend to sweat a lot during fapping, which is intended to lower your body temperature, so it can cause cold

19. I have an annual 'flu' jab and have not had a cold or the 'flu' in the last decade! :)

20. Mohamed Walid

Mohamed Walid Fapstronaut

Have a hot drink every day.
    Don't wear light clothes in a very cold weather.