1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't want to quit

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Nov 21, 2017.

1. So I'm currently facing a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Part of my PMO prevention plan was taking up a new hobby and managing my stress levels. As it happens for me, it's Boxing. It's been great, I've been less stressed, fitter, more confident and so forth, and I'm pretty much addicted to it.

The problem is sparring.

Now I love sparring, but I'm concerned for my long term health, considering TBI and at worst, CTE. I've blacked out on my feet, had mild concussions and now I'm hesitant in engaging during sparring. After sparring today I've felt lethargic, sore neck, slightly dizzy and uncoordinated.
    Sparring was "light", and all the right equipment was provided to keep it safe under the supervision of the head coach, but even then I feel rubbish.

I'm planning to go to University, so I'll need my brain in working order, but at the same token, don't want to lose all the benefits it's given me.

I've got a long history of quitting things, but this the one thing I don't want to. A second opinion would be appreciated, especially if there are any amateur competitors in Boxing, Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

2. Shohrat Shankar

Shohrat Shankar Fapstronaut

history belongs to winners not to quitters!

3. Ray007

Ray007 New Fapstronaut

Hey Nathaniel,
    Concussions, Black outs, TBI and CTE are very real...Always weigh the long term benefits and the long term consequences of what you are doing today. You are not a quitter if you value your long term health and switch to some other sport or activity with less risk...I have followed/ studied NFL players ( on my own ) and they all wish they could go back and have that choice over again and make it different. You have that choice now...I am 55...I mountain bike ,hike, kayak and snow shoe...and my brain works too.

4. It might be an idea to switch martial arts or at least go to another club that takes preventing head injuries seriously.

I used to do Taekwondo and you weren't allowed to punch the head there. And there was probably way less sparring than what you're used to. I dabbled in other arts also.

5. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

Yeah...brain trauma no good. Make life hard and angry.

I like @hermit_ninja's idea - is there a way to do the workouts/sparring without the head trauma?
    Greco-roman wrestling? Fencing? HEMA?