1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I feel like such a child.

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by AlienBlasterPistol, Feb 20, 2016.

1. AlienBlasterPistol

AlienBlasterPistol New Fapstronaut

For years and years I've had a hard time finding a girlfriend. I'm not into that "friend zone" bs, but I guess I've never been the type of person anyone wants to get to know intimately. I think the only gf I had (back in 2009, lasted 7 months) only started dating me because she felt bad. Unsurprisingly, I'm a virgin closing in on 27 years old. Sounds more pathetic when I type it out. Ugh. Anyway that's not entirely why I'm making this post.

I'm mostly making this post to vent on how much of a child I feel like and why I probably won't ever get involved in a serious relationship because of it, and why I'm thinking of just saying "fuck it" to nofap.

To keep it short and as easy for me to type as possible, I rage quit during a dumb video game (it wasn't Fallout 4) and instead of just taking a second to cool off and hop right back into it, I threw my controller, threw my phone, sat there nearly in tears, shut off everything, and hopped into bed. Before I go on I have to say that I wasn't so much mad at what happened in the game as much as I was triggered by what happened and that sent me into a stupid spiral of self hate.

I felt pathetic for getting so mad, and I realized that even though I've made so many legitimately positive changes in my life during the last week (nofap, meditating, quit smoking pot and cigs, cut down on caffeine and sugar, reading a book on breaking bad habits, positive steps in therapy, started exercising) it all means nothing if I'm just gonna bitch and moan after being triggered by a damn video game.

Who the hell is going to want to date that? If I can't control myself during those moments (literally the only time I ever get really mad) then why am I bothering with any of this? It's not like I'm going to stop gaming. Yeah, I can cut down on it, but that'll only just spread out the moments when I get angry at something stupid.

Because of that one moment I don't feel like I deserve a girlfriend, or a job, or any of the positive changes I've been making. I don't deserve to better myself, I'm not worth it.

I haven't relapsed yet, and I'm still too pissed off to even want to, but I'm questioning everything I've been doing because if it can go to hell like that in an instant than idk why I'm bothering.

2. Kennen

Kennen Fapstronaut

Gamers usually lacks lovelife..
    You're lucky if you'll find a gamer girlfriend...

Uhmmm.. I mean..
    We're lucky if we'll find a gamer girlfriend.
    I also lacks lovelife :D
    The feeelsss..

3. Sell your video games console, bro. I had a serious gaming addiction this time last year. Not saying going cold turkey solved all my problems but it's a start.

4. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

Few hours a week vide ogames won't be the bane of your existence, but if it turns in your existence then it becomes a problem
    Games are an addiction like nofap which must be managed properly.

Headspace likes this.
  5. UpendiT

UpendiT Fapstronaut

You have gamer rage. Unfortunately, you're going to have to reboot from video games as well. You can go back to them once you've healed, but never ever binge play. Keep it down to a few hours every few days and if you feel like you HAVE to play, don't.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. Veritech

Veritech Fapstronaut

I'm sorry. I did not see anywhere in the post that you mentioned that you were a serial killer, vicious bank robber or a felonious rapist.

I am being facetious because I am not following why you conclude what you do not deserve.

I'm not a gamer. Take what you want from the following.

Games to me used to Ms. PacMan, Space Invaders, Dragon's Lair, Donkey Kong and Qbert. The advantage of these games is that they were relatively quick to play and enhanced hand eye coordination.

I see two problems that you are experiencing:

1) The characters in the game are attractive and may be turning you on; and

2) Games today consist of campaigns that can go on for weeks, months and even years.

My response:

1)There is nothing wrong with finding a female Valkyrie or Elf (if these still exist) to be attractive. We watch movies and television shows where the actresses are attractive. Just realize that they are not real, nor would you (or anybody else on this forum) have any fighting chance to attract an A-list celebrity.

2) If you are not out there meeting people, you will not get a girlfriend or lose your virginity. It is not that you do not deserve it, but if you do not meet women, you will not become involved or intimate with one.

You have to get out there and meet women. If you are gaming rather than meeting people, then you will have to cut down your gaming. Do not think that you are undeserving of love and companionship. Relationships (and sex) come to those who apply themselves.

7. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

That's not about what you deserve, but about doing what truly makes you happy.

Do you like yourself when you're playing video games? Do you enjoy it? Does it create purpose in life for you?
    Your rage quit reaction does not come from being a bad loser, but from aggression against yourself which lies deeper within you. Perhaps you can cover it with video games for a while, but it is a fissured cover. I stopped playing video games because it made me feel like I'm running in circles on the inside. I hated that.

8. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

The problem is you're doing a lot of unnecessary things and NOT doing other things you need to do.

It's like if I tell you: "yeah, to put together this IKEA piece of furniture, you have to hammer these 6 nails" and you keep hammering away the same first nail over and over while the rest are still waiting.

First off, please change use your meditation-enhanced mind :) to start focusing on a much better internal state of relaxation or just the feeling that reverses the one you're having now.

Now, watch this video:

If you truly want to change a bad habit, there are different areas you have to attack. This video divides them into Personal, Social and Structural, each having a Motivational side and a Skill side. Seems complex but it comes down to really normal stuff without having to meditate your brains off or trying to change 10000 habits at a time (huge withdrawal symptoms I bet). You can't try and control just one or two of them and letting the rest screw you.