1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I got asked out today but I'm not sure how I feel. please give me some advice...

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by JCMD_hi, Oct 29, 2015.

1. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

Hi all,

So I'm a sixteen year old guy in high school and today I got asked out. It was by a friend of mine, she's really cool and I do like her but I don't know if I like her in that way.

We've known each other since the end of August/start of September.

I managed to dodge answering (I never said yes or no) but now I feel terrible incase she thinks I don't like her.

She is definitely an awesome person but, like I said earlier, I don't know how I feel.

If I say yes, awesome! If I decide to say no how can I let her know that I do like her without making her feel bad and hopefully without making it awkward. I wouldn't mention it to anyone if I said no but the thing is, our other friends heard her ask me.

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Why not just go out without expectations that it need to ascend to another level of relationship. Don't have any agenda one way or another. Enjoy people; enjoy life; enjoy friends (both sexes) and relationships. If you both have a good time on whatever level of friendship, great. And, practice dates never hurt. If both of you think it might get more involved, that will be up to both of you to decide later, perhaps. But, just going out doesn't dictate that it needs to rise to something else automatically. Also, it probably isn't expected at 16 yo that you are looking for your one and only lifetime mate at this age. Just respect and treat people decently, and decent people will come into your life, too, and you'll be seen as an overall great guy - especially by girls.

3. peregrinnus

peregrinnus Fapstronaut

There's no pressure to take it to the next level and get into a serious/exclusive relationship. Just hang out, and get to know each other more! If you're not ready and she tries to go too fast or anything, be cool about it and respect your own boundaries. There also isn't any pressure to wow her or act in the way you think she might want you to act. You can never have enough friends. And seriously, just cuz you start out friends doesn't mean you have to stay that way. Give yourself time to figure out what she means to you, and give her time to figure out what you might mean to her as well.

On a side note, love that the girl is taking the initiative here. It's still rarely seen nowadays. Heh.

GentleBeast and Saskia like this.
  4. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

I have to say I liked that she just came and said it.

5. Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor Distinguished Fapstronaut

What both of these guys said.

You're overthinking this. Just because you go out on one date doesn't mean it is or will even become a romantic thing.

Go out with her without any expectations, a clear head, and just enjoy each others company. First dates should be primarily casual anyway. Think of it as the two of you just casually hanging out.

What specific activity did she recommend? Or did she just say something like "we should go out sometime"?

6. JCMD_hi

JCMD_hi Fapstronaut

She basically said we should go out sometimes.

7. Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor Distinguished Fapstronaut

Good! That means, assuming you go back to her and say yes, that you can choose the activity and set the tone for the evening. Since she asked you, she probably doesn't care what the activity would be, so you can choose something non-romantic and silly, like go-karts, mini golf, geocaching, etc. Avoid the whole mood lighting restaurant scene. There's no need to make it romantic.

Maybe a Halloween party? I'm not sure if high school kids throw Halloween parties nowadays, but that would be a sweet first date!

8. Mrbond

Mrbond Fapstronaut

I don't think there is anything to be scared of, just go out and have fun with her as a friend . Then you can see what she means to you .. Be a friend , a gentleman and a guy who isn't afraid of any thing

9. rampageingapes

rampageingapes Fapstronaut

This is always a tricky situation. I had a similar predicament about a year ago. I had known the girl for some time and was friends with her (not good friends, mind you), but was not really attracted to her. I mean, I found her physically attractive, but there was something about her that really turned me off. She had been attracted to me the whole time and hit on me often. Then, one day I decided to just say "fuck it" and see where things would go. Low and behold, we ended up meshing really well and, although we are no longer together, we are much better friends now than we ever were before. If your situation is similar then I suggest that you go for it.

However, if you don't find her physically attractive or attractive in any sort of sexual way (perhaps mentally) then you probably never will. Most people on here will find that pretty harsh, but its undeniable that a huge part of our overall attraction to other people is based on physical attraction. In this case you should be honest with her and not dance around the question, but let her down as gently as possible.

10. avatarivn

*braces self for incoming avalanche of laughs*

As an expert in the matter of not having dates (matter of fact I am 29 years old and I have had only one date) and living the hikikomori lifestyle, I would say go for it: First of all, you are 16, the sooner you get used to real flirt and work on forging healthy relationships (seriously, in my book there is no such thing as "too soon" to start learning about it) the better.

Second, try not to have expectations you probably will have to correct anyway and just be present, know the girl. Let things flow at their own pace. As @rampageingapes says, you might connect surprisingly well after the first date.

Ultimately, whatever you decide to do is up to you. Best of luck.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015