1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I met the girl of my dreams...but she has a boyfriend

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Namekian23, May 20, 2016.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Unless you've been through all these experiences yourself, which I'm sure you have, let's just take a step back for a moment. Love/lust/infatuation? I would say that I was dealing with these 3 concepts when I was much younger, when I was more impulsive. Anyway, I've been around her maybe 5 or 6 times, and we just get along great. Maybe she wasn't the girl of my dreams per say, but she was definitely different.

I wouldn't say that I was in love just yet, and definitely not lustful. By the way, I've seen her faults before. Sometimes when you share strong commonalities, like being hurt for example, you're fully aware of their faults and imperfections. If you're suggesting I was lustful or in love, that's not quite the picture. I agree that listening is part of being connected, but sharing your experiences while understanding them is important too, especially at an emotional state. Like I was saying, I would consider love/lust/infatuation for people who haven't gone through what the other person has gone through. Once you emphasize with that person, it's not only easier to see their faults, but more importantly, it's easier to see your own.

2. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

@vulture175 Wait you too? This happened to me like last year, so I'm kind of over it. I was devastated when I found out that she had another boyfriend. Just give it time. I've realized that no matter how much I think of her, chances are that she won't think of me. So what's the point? Channel your energy to something else to distract yourself. For me, I got a job working with plants. Definitely gets my mind off of her haha. But yeah, if I can get over Oneitis, I'm sure you can too.

@GSarosi I just realized one of the biggest faults a person can have is being too emotional. Like I told vulture175, I was heartbroken when I found out that she was in another relationship. I guess it's very important to be aware of your own faults and work on it, because if the other person sees it, they can tell if you're worth their time or if they should leave you. Something I know very fondly.

vulture175 likes this.
  3. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Is it possible to see their faults before you fall into oneitis? Is that when you sit them down ask them a load of questions and listen to them?

4. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Good question. I really don't think so. First of all, most guys are just blinded by what they see at first hand, just like I was. But when you go past that point, you might find a strong commonality like I've just mentioned, such as being abused, hurt, abandoned, and so on, you will understand that person more. I guarantee you her new boyfriend hasn't gone through the same experiences as she and I did. But at the same time, sharing something like that can be a vulnerability on both ends. That's why I believe it's important not to share too much. I've learned that the hard way. You have to know that person for a long time, but what do I know. I'm just sharing my opinions that might not even matter.

5. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Tell her that you want her that you find her so incredibly sexy and you can't wait any longer for her to be without a boyfriend or anything you just want her asap! You don't have to have sex straight away just be with her. If you want her go for it.

6. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

All you have to do is text her: "I want you" "when can you meet me" "life is too short to wait any longer"

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@Namekian23 : "I met the girl of my dreams...but she's married, just few weeks ago". I'm done lol
    really love this quote :D. yeah sometimes we're just too emotional and think too much about a girl and she has never had a thought about us. and then sadness turned into anger :p

so it's better to not share too much ? i'm just curious why

8. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Why do you ask? Oh, I'll tell you why. But first, let me tell you a story: a bird was flying down south for the winter, and its body was too cold to fly. It feel down on a field, and was nearly frozen to death. Then, a cow came along and shitted on the bird. Surprisingly, the crap was pretty warm. In fact, it was so warm that the bird started chirping for joy. Then came along a cat who heard the bird chirping; the cat then decided to dig up the turd and ate the bird. Morale of the story?

Not everyone who shits on you is your enemy. And not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend. And when you're in deep shit like I was, it's best to keep your mouth shut, or in this case, not to chirp so much. Especially if it's someone who you claim to be your friend. Be very careful of who share your secrets with because they might not be your friend at all. Anyone can fool you, and I learned that the hard way.

9. The way I see it - if she has a boyfriend, she's NOT your dream girl. Why do I say this?

Well, it's all a matter of how our brain still works in the same primitive way it was designed to work 100,000+ years ago when we were hunter gatherers who needed to be able to act quickly and on instinct.

Most of us are very familiar with one of these types of instinct that we still have today - the fight or flight response, the thing that pushes us into a surge of anxious adrenaline in certain situations, making us feel like we could die any moment - in situations that these days are very safe, like perhaps a job interview or a new social situation.

A lot of us however forget about one of the other big evolutionary instincts we still have left over from then - and that's related to our drive to reproduce. 100,000 years ago, when we found a potential mate, our brain had to be able to direct its selective focus only to this person, to ensure that we would then attempt to reproduce with them - rather than just being nonchalant about it and perhaps not bothering. Reproduction was crucial to the survival of the species, and so any time we had a good opportunity, from an evolutionary perspective it was important that we felt like this was something extremely important that we had to do - and that we didn't get distracted by thoughts of other females who weren't present, but that we were instead focused entirely on this one female, until the job was done.

Now, just like the fight or flight response is a pain in the ass in modern society - triggering that "We're gonna die, run!" response in situations that feature zero danger.. The way our brain handles the drive to reproduce can also be a pain:

Whenever we find a woman that "ticks all the boxes" for us, our brain instantly goes "Okay, we need to ensure his focus is on her until our species has further been propagated - let's forget about all other women now". As a result, every time you begin to get strongly attracted to a girl, you will feel as if this girl is somehow so unique that if you lost her you'll NEVER get such a chance again. Why do you get that feeling? Well it's simple, 100,000 years ago, when populations were much smaller and we did not have an interconnected society like today - if you met a potential mate, there was a good chance if you missed your chance, that you really WOULDN'T EVER get a chance again. This is why every time we get that feeling.

On the contrary, now, if you meet a girl, and things don't work out: Yes you'll be beat up about it afterwards if you were special - but the world is full of wonderful guys and girls, and you'll eventually be able to recover and have feelings for someone new.

So with this in mind.. what does this actually mean? Well it means that feeling is a trick played by the way our brain is trying to keep our species alive.

So does that mean we can't find someone special, someone to love, someone to spend our lives with? No, that's absolutely not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that, REGARDLESS of whether or not the person in question is a suitable candidate to love, spend your life with, etc, you will STILL have those feelings, in every single case of really strong attraction. So, you have to be able to override them a little, and bring a little logic into the equation. In your town/city alone there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of girls who would be completely perfect matches for you that you could spend many years/decades in a happy relationship with, so with that in mind..

You have to ask yourself:
    - Do I have a reasonable shot with this woman or would my time be spent better pursuing one of the other hundreds/thousands in the area? (i.e. is she available and interested? If not, time to move on, it's only your caveman brain still trying to get you to hang around in a situation that isn't going anywhere)
    - How long are things likely to last with this woman? Is there genuine compatibility or is my evolutionary response blinding me to potential things that would get in the way of us having a long lasting relationship? (A good way to handle this one, is to write down a list of everything that could potentially get in the way of a lasting relationship with this person, whether it's differences in opinion you have, any particular flaws you or they have, etc - write a long list, even the little things that are minor and wouldn't have much of an effect. The idea behind this is to remind yourself: Hey this is a person, and like me and every other person, they have flaws too - are the particular flaws this person has ones that will suit my own, or are they ones that'll cause detriment in our relationship down the line?)
    - Has the evidence you've seen so far from your interactions with this person shown that you can trust them? (This is another one we often times forget. It's all well and good if someone is available, ticks off every box on your list of what'd make up your ideal woman, and seems to be everything you want.. but then a couple of years in you discover she's untrustworthy, cheats on you, and it was all for nothing.)
    - Is there something about this person that genuinely makes a relationship worth pursuing - rather than waiting for a better opportunity with someone else? (Take a moment to step back from your feelings, and write down the reasons that you feel that this person is worth getting into a relationship with. Do not include anything that constitutes a feeling. i.e. "They make me feel good" or "I really like them" should be symptoms of them having lots of awesome qualities that would make them relationship-worthy - but if you can't name said qualities, it's probably your caveman brain tricking you into feels again.)

In short, don't rely on how you feel about a girl to tell you whether you're a good fit or not. Use logic, and act in spite of feelings. You will feel strongly for many girls who would not be good to pursue (or simply aren't available to pursue in the first place) - the trick is to use the logical part of your brain to see when such a situation is good, and when it isn't, and act accordingly.

If you find someone that is available, trustworthy, likely to be able to be in a long relationship with you, and has many qualities that would make them a great partner - that's the time when you can say "Okay caveman brain, you got this, let me have all them feels" and let yourself fall for someone.

If on the other hand, they aren't available, or you can't trust them, or they have too many things that would get in the way of a successful relationship - that's the time to step in, pull a Kanye, and be like "Hey caveman brain, I'mma let you finish, but.." and then get the hell out of there.

Be smart about it. Feelings are great, but you have to be able to keep them in check enough to only act on them when it's going to be good for you in the long run.

GSarosi likes this.
  10. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

it sounds like pmo eh. first it makes us happy, it makes us feel good, then .... we all know.

11. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Based on what you said, most of your information is backed up by facts and science. But unless you've experienced what I've said yourself, I don't know what's the point of understanding all this. Sometimes, I get a little emotional about certain things. You may be right; she probably wasn't the girl of my dreams, but I've never been attracted to a girl like her in years. When was the last time you've felt like this? And I'm not asking you from how much you know about evolution or a man's brain, but from your own experiences with girls. Science that's backed up by facts and knowledge are good to have, but experience plays a part too. Like business, for example, you can go to school and learn about it, but having the actual experience is a different story. Same thing with girls.

Ever since I've met her, she's inspired me to become a different person. She's smart, outgoing, independent, and bold. These are the qualities that I want, and if I want to be with a women with that caliber, then I must work on those things. There's no need to write down a list of things that I want to achieve; I'm goal oriented enough as it is. I even write down my goals step by step. I know the type of girls I want through experience, and that's where I get my knowledge from, not from evolution or cavemen. But I would agree that being more logically can be a help with our emotional selves, which was something I wished I had at firsthand. However, I believe our intellect comes first before our emotions.

12. GSarosi

GSarosi Guest

@Namekian23.....

Sounds like not all is lost. She came into your life and made a positive impact on you one way or the other. You should definitely channel that into something awesome where you become the best version of you. Then one day I am sure someone just as great if not greater will cross paths with you and you will not let things slip away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  13. HahahHhHaha.

14. Cry me a river.

If a girl has a bf it doesn't mean she's not fair game. If there's a ring on her finger I can respect that.

I've been taught by dudes back in the day that law of the jungle is whoever the woman wants to be with determines who she is with, just because she has a man doesn't mean a better can't come along and pick her away.

ADOPT THE MENTALITY OF JUNGLE CAT AND MAN UP.

Lol jk, sort of.

Namekian23 likes this.