1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I need to quit youtube

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Jm22, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Jm22

Jm22 Fapstronaut

Struggling to function to do anything without youtube on in the background. Even getting up out of bed or going for a shower. My brain is so used to that dopamine fix than it has a meltdown whenever it's not on.

I've deleted the app, but now I just use the Internet browser on my phone. Does anybody have any tips on how to be productive without it? I'm also struggling to sleep without youtube on, as soon as I lie down with no noise in the background my brain floods with intrusive thoughts and stops me from sleeping.

2. I totally understand this, I have on music when I do anything, binging fail videos and music a lot more than I should, I browse YouTube more than any other site on the internet, second place goes to Netflix. I also need to unplug from my trusty laptop and git it a break.

3. Jm22

Jm22 Fapstronaut

Yeah I think that's it isn't it, we just have to stop. It's just annoying because youtube can be a really useful tool and there's a lot of self improvement on there. It's a self discipline thing I know, but I'm just totally consumed by it right now

BillyBobBoBoBo likes this.
  4. yeah we are missing the forest for the trees.

Jm22 likes this.
  5. Jm22

Jm22 Fapstronaut

I like that analogy

Whispers likes this.
  6. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

Many time i experienced that i rarely watch self improvement video, before i open the apps maybe for educational purposes but when it openend i go full youtube rabbit hole, even tho i do watch some of it , its not that impactfull

Im strugling to stop youtube too, but there is no other way than cold turkey on it,, educational purposes can be found in books, which currently i do to replace youtube

7. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

I have just started the challenge today.
    No Youtube Month.

I decided that I am going to watch anything but youtube.

Resilience 16 likes this.
  8. Jm22

Jm22 Fapstronaut

I'll join you on that

Muphy likes this.
  9. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

Today is day 2 running for me.

Resilience 16 and Jm22 like this.
  10. I would like to join in too. :)

Muphy likes this.
  11. What do you watch on yt? If you don't mind me asking

12. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

Controlled myself during the day.. at night I just played songs on my PC .. Day 3 successful... going to sleep now.. :)

I hope you are continuing the streak as well.. Just Dont stop.. every day brings us closer to our goal.

13. I am curious to know what adults watch on yt

14. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

For no reason. If I watch for a reason then it would be okay. Now it was just a habit.. I have noting to do .. just spend that time on youtube.. watch anything.. just keep it running.. while eating.. while working.. while sleeping.. it just takes away everything.. sleep .. concentration... and bring guilt at the end of the day that I wasted this much time on youtube..

I started writing that how much time I waste on youtube and I calculated that in a week I am spending about 60+ hours youtube... that means in a week 2.5 days I spend only on youtube.. hell with it now..

15. I meant what type of content u watch ?

16. .

17. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

Personally, a complete abstention from youtube is not the way

I usually find good stuff, educational videos.. things i like and i need in my life. Also motivational videos (very good) and try haul videos (very bad - i keep myself away from that, i have multiple relapse caused by them)

Also a complete abstention may force you to "fill the gap" and you will find something else to waste time with

Maybe decreasing the amount of time is the key like i did with instagram. Try to delete your history so you reset "suggested videos", if you look at useless or dangerous stuff (like try haul in my case) this will help. Also review your subscriptions... delete useless ones. And most important set a timer (like the one on the iphone) - after 20 daily minutes of youtube you receive a popup adverting you then you can't watch it anymore. This worked for me with insagram, may it help you too!
    :)

DrPillowcase likes this.
  18. I have tried watching educational stuff but ultimately I start watching useless stuff again.

Leftwhirled likes this.
  19. belio123

belio123 Fapstronaut

I also used to have this problem, the way I solved it is by focusing/thinking on fun and light hearted topic that will keep me occupied while I'm trying to fall asleep and it also keeps stressfull or intrusive thoughts away - examples:

- What would i do in a zombie apocalypse?
    - What would i do if i had a certain super power?
    - Another good one is to focus a show / book / movie / anime and to explore a topic related to it in your mind

Hopefully this helps

20. Proceeds to think about Zombie apocalypse lol :emoji_joy: