1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I seem to have arithmomania?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by skaterdrew, Apr 12, 2021.

1. skaterdrew

skaterdrew Fapstronaut

I always thought it was just ocd. But tonight I have discovered it is actually arithmomania.

As far as I am aware arithmomania is just a type of ocd?

But arithmomania seems to be exactly what I do. I always do a compulsion a certain amount of times and count in my head how many times I do it. Liking some numbers over other numbers. Not liking certain numbers etc.

Also looking at certain thing in my house a certain amount of times and counting, doing it over and over again, and adding up how many times I do it until I feel comfortable and on a number I like.

Just doing many different compulsions a certain amount of times and counting how many times I do it, and picking certain numbers etc that I like I guess.

I think I have had this as far back as I can remember.

A lot of the time it doesn't overall seem to bother me. But tonight I guess I was feeling quite anxious, and I was being driven mad with the amount I was doing these compulsions and counting in my head. It seemed like near enough every action and thing I was doing I was counting how many times I was doing it in my head and picking these certain numbers.

Does anyone else have this? and if you do how do you treat it? I would prefer to naturally treat it? Does just stopping doing these compulsions make it go away?

Here is a video of exactly what it is like.

But I actually find myself doing this with near enough every action that I do.

It's as if I have done this so long that now a lot of the time I don't even notice that I am doing it, because it is so natural. So now trying to stop doing it is so tough, because I guess it is somewhat going against something that I have done everyday all the way back to childhood.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. vercent99

vercent99 Fapstronaut

It's just like OCD, and according to some small research I read that it's treated by ERP therapy.

I can somewhat agree to the 'liking certain numbers and disliking certain numbers' but not because of the number itself, but because of it being an uneven number. For example, if something is selling for $3,96 at a shop, I get mildly infuriated that it's not being sold for $4. Or if the volume is on 19 I like to put it on 20.

Where I have an issue, is for example if I had a standard A4 paper, and the end of the page is crumbled or folded, I have this annoying itchy feeling inside me, wanting to unfold the page, it doesn't go away till I do so.

Other example, if I am trying to remove a hair with a tweaker, and it doesn't want to catch the hair, and I keep trying but it won't catch the damn hair, I get so nervous, annoyed and start to feel hot and even feel the need to pee until I finally am able to remove that hair. Not sure why, thankfully these mentioned stuff do not happen often, once every while, the examples before this one happen a bit more often though.