1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I took off my ring....

Discussion in 'Partner Support' started by Deleted Account, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Hey all,

I’m a SO with a fiancé who is “in recovery”. I says that he’s gone 1 month of no PMO, but I found a bunch of boob videos that he watched a few nights ago on youtube. What is especially annoying about it all, is that we have an accountability app that alerts me when he visits an inappropriate website at home, and blocks set up that covers most websites (when it’s turned on). This entire month, I have been trying to be subtly dropping hints that it’s ok if he relapses but is at least honest with me about it (I know that I’m in a sense encouraging a relapse or lowering standards, but to be honest, the lying part is the absolute worst part for me). I work 3 nights a week, and was at work and had a feeling something was up. I ended up figuring out that he was watching on YouTube, because the accountability app doesn’t flag it as being inappropriate. The one thing he couldn’t hide was his habitual patterns in ssearching. I saw the YouTube history and it confirmed it.

I gave him his ring back, not because he relapsed, but because I am shocked at how easily he can lie to me to my face and I believe him. That’s scary to me. He’s always claimed been the type of person who can’t function knowing that he’s hiding something from me. I guess not anymore. It was one of my favorite things about him. I have no idea if he’s lying anymore and that’s hard to grasp... that he’s even capable.

Last night, he tried to cuddle, which I’m ok with, but the second I got the feeling he was trying to initiate sex, I was completely turned off... in a very strong way. I’ve never felt that way about him ever before. I read about it on here and it lasted months for many women.

He’s trying. I know he is... just hope we can make it through this together. Our wedding is in March, mostly already paid for. Sucks that it has become a limitation on his growth. I know that’s probably another reason why he feels like he has to lie. Anyway, I’m rambling. Thanks for reading. It’s been a rough couple of days...

GG2002 and FearMyDiscipline like this.
  2. I think you should go easier on him and have a frank chat on whether he is serious about this.
    Give him another chance.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. I haven’t broken up with him, I just don’t want to wear the ring when I know we aren’t ready to be married..

And I have been going easier on him. I’m much meaner in my mind lol believe me. Also, it’s hard to be so “easy on him” when it’s affecting me as much as it is and he knows it.

I’m working on dealing with relapse. Lying, I can’t take.

Are you in a relationship??

4. TryingToHeal

TryingToHeal Fapstronaut

I think you were completely justified in your reaction. The lying is really hard to take. Many SOs find that to be the worst part. I'm sorry that you are in this spot. I gave my husband 14 years my wedding ring back when I found out he'd been lying about the PA and said I don't think this means what I thought it did. That was over a year ago. He still has it (he wears it). We are still together, the plan was that I would ask for it back when I felt ready for it but I still don't. I don't even want that ring ever. So yeah, I don't blame you one bit for being upset about the lying. It is a terrible thing to go through and good for you for standing up for yourself.

GG2002, EyesWideOpen, Numb and 3 others like this.
  5. havana19

havana19 Fapstronaut

"I am shocked at how easily he can lie to me to my face and I believe him. That’s scary to me."

Addicts lie in the beginning of the relationship especially, and will continue lying until faced with a "hitting bottom" event often of which the magnitude will be absolute hell, such as job loss, STDs, arrest, etc....another time they might stop lying is if faced with polygraph tests as a part of recovery...other than these instances, active addicts will continue to lie as a matter of course. I would not marry him unless he is in active recovery. Telling him it is ok to relapse is like telling a heroin addict its ok to snort some heroin just don't shoot or let it become a habit. Just snort, once in a while. Some addicts can do workarounds their addiction for a while but it is always progressive and while using they will always continue to lie.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. No, not at the moment. Just giving my two cents here.

7. HonestyMatters

HonestyMatters Fapstronaut

I don't think you've been too hard on him. He needs to know you're serious. And if he doesn't get control and overcome this addiction, it'll be a problem that you'll be dealing with your entire marriage!! In fact depending on the severity of it, it may be an ongoing problem in the future regardless....

And I agree with the above, you want to make it clear that relapse is NOT OK but you are willing to be as understanding and supportive as possible if it does happen.

What sort of recovery work is he doing? I'd want to be VERY sure that what he's doing is relevant, it's the best of what's available and that he's doing ENOUGH and not just abstaining, before you marry him. If he's not, then I'd seriously consider this before going ahead with your wedding. You are not married YET, so it would be easier to be postponing that if you had to, than to be separating or divorcing later over it.

What accountability program are you using? You should be able to set it up to flag what you want it to flag. YouTube was something my husband was using as well. I have A2U (Accountable2You) on his phone & laptop and have set it to flag YouTube as well as many others. It gives me what he's searched and the title of every YouTube video he looks at, incognito or not. Actually on this subject @AnonymousAnnaXOXO I thought I read on one of your posts a while back that you had some sort of software or app on your Smart TV - is that right? It may not of been you, but I was going to ask you because we just got a new TV which he can now easily access YouTube (easier than the last) and I'm a bit concerned about this now? Thanks.

Rambling Man likes this.
  8. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

@HonestyMatters

We have xbox which we don't use, my laptop, and my parents TV upstairs with amazon firestick. I set up parental controls on amazon firestick with a password so he can't get into netflix without the password. In our house we just dont watch that much TV or use the tech since this whole PA stuff.

What we've done is, cut video games out of the house (aside from minecraft every rare once in a while), we watch TV together in the evenings (not every evening) and social media has been cut (aside from using it for business for my stuff) and social media includes youtube... If we "need" to use it for whatever reason he will use it while I am in the room, like if he is looking up how to fix something in a car (he is an auto tech in training)...

it's about compromise, about setting boundaries and consequences, and finding what works for you as a couple.

9. HonestyMatters

HonestyMatters Fapstronaut

Thanku @AnonymousAnnaXOXO

My hubby loves his tech stuff so the monitoring software works well for the most part, and that way he's not feeling confined or resentful that I've taken his freedom so to speak. I'll have to see if the TV's got some sort of restriction controls built into it. Thanku heaps for getting back to me xx

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 likes this.
  10. BetrayedMermaid

BetrayedMermaid Fapstronaut

I relate. He even said "I'm being honest with you." when he wasn't... and "Don't worry, I'm protecting our relationship and our family" when he wasn't... and now when he says "I'm being honest with you" it's a trigger for me.... I feel so stupid for believing him time after time when he was lying to my face.

Numb likes this.
  11. TryingToHeal

TryingToHeal Fapstronaut

Same