Idle Entertainment?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deth, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Deth

Deth Fapstronaut

Hey there,
    I've been doing NoFap for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it, but the whole "cutting off easy access to dopamine" has left me wondering: should I quit all other forms of entertainment?
    This would include anime, Netflix and YouTube, although I'd probably keep playing videogames and going to the theater with friends occasionally.
    First off, I'm not looking to become the next Bill Gates or anything. I just want to live a fun life, with enough time to have fun and enough money that money doesn't keep me from having fun. My only worry with cutting it off entirely is that I'd be just as lazy, just a lot more bored. I'm debating between:
    Cutting off all access,
    Using idle entertainment as a reward for doing more active, healthy things,
    or
    Limiting how much I watch to X hours per week

Anyone who's tried any of these before, how'd it go? What effects did it have on you? Should I try one of those options for a limited amount of time?

2. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Whatever you do, you can always make it content specific too. I've actually lost most interest in TV and movie, for the most part I can't really get into it that much. Once in a while a story will sound interesting enough to check out, I MAY even see it in the theater as a treat - but I'm definitely not interested in just anything new.

3. Deth

Deth Fapstronaut

Well, my worry is that I'll be watching a fairly educational video on YouTube, and I'll gradually get further from interesting information and towards gaming videos, meme compilations, etc. I guess I could always create a new account and only subscribe to things that genuinely interest me. Thanks for the idea!

4. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Just don't be like this guy:

5. Deth

Deth Fapstronaut

I hate the idea of becoming that as much as I love that movie, so I think I'll be fine.