1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

If someone is diagnosed with depression and anxiety, will they be “mentally ill” forever?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Hi all,

This is my first post on NoFap. A friend of mine has depression/anxiety in his medical history, diagnosed 2016. Google says once you have a mental illnesses it is incurable but can only be managed through medication. What if one day he feels like he doesn’t feel depressed anymore? He has felt significantly better and doesn’t feel a lot of the signs anymore since 1 year now. The only problem is his diagnosis will haunt him for the rest of his life and according to the medical professionals’ articles on Google it is incurable, he will always be officially depressed even if he doesn’t feel that way. This is also a legal problem because if he has a mental illness in his medical record he is classified as mentally ill and can therefore be locked up in a mental hospital if in a doctor’s subjective opinion to other doctors you are a danger to yourself or others. He doesn’t want to live limited by this diagnosis for the rest of his life and just wants to forget about it but it follows him around in his record everywhere and he just wants to live like any other person. What should he do? Should he resign his fate to being mentally ill for the rest of his life because the system diagnosed him as so?

2. two-face

two-face Fapstronaut

Mental illness is an extremely complicated subject, our brains are incredibly complex and although the science of behavioral/ mood disorders is progressing it't still got a long way to go. When you look at a lot of the mental health medications science still really doesn't understand the precise mechanism of action for how they work.

Google says a lot of things, don't trust them all. I wouldn't even trust all medical professionals. I'm no expert, but I think there are probably people who can fully recover from mental illness, and then there are people who really should take their meds for the rest of their life. One thing I would note - if your friend is feeling better and still taking his meds, then it could be that the meds are working, and he might have problems if he decides to stop. Many of the antidepressants can cause real problems if they are suddenly stopped without a doctor's order.

It sounds like your friend may have been deemed harmful to himself or others at some point, and may have been conserved. In general, the only way he'll be locked up again is if he does something to bring himself to the attention of the law/ his doctors. If he truly is better, he won't harm himself or do something crazy and end up in an institution again. In general, docs aren't trying to lock people up for arbitrary reasons.

I hope for your friend's sake that he can overcome his illness.

3. He was never locked up I said because he has that in his record he is 200% more likely to be locked up regardless of whether what they say about him is true or not. He stopped taking his antidepressant a year ago and has felt fine ever since. He wants this part of his life to be over so he can finally live a regular life if that’s too much to ask, rather than be treated like a crazy person because of his depression/anxiety diagnosis.