1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had a chance to live in solitude, deep in the wilderness. Would you?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SolitaryScribe, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

This has been a serious thought in my head. I've also actually met a solitary who lives deep in the wilderness in his van.

Would you guys ever do it? and for how long?

I feel like it would be an amazing journey through the inner recesses of my soul. It's something that been on my mind for quite some time now!

2. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

Sure I would, solitude is amazing, even more so since I'm an introvert:D

Deadlihood likes this.
  3. DeProfundis

DeProfundis Fapstronaut

If you can survive out there, and you don't have family obligations, why not?

4. Opportunity For Better

Opportunity For Better Fapstronaut

Have you watched the short movie Alone in the Wilderness? You can find it free on YouTube.

It's amazing! It's so peaceful, even just to watch the movie. I imagine that the man experienced profound peace while he was there.

I'm not so sure that kind of life is for me, though. I absolutely love being in nature, but I'm too much of a social animal to spend a long time alone. Funny thing, though; when I'm alone in my house or a city I feel lonely, but when I'm alone in nature I feel peaceful.

BettaM32 and Deadlihood like this.
  5. cosmic7dust

cosmic7dust Fapstronaut

I was 18, I used to read spiritual books and stuff. There was a time when I really wanted to leave the society and go to woods and just meditate and live life in solitude. I told this to my father and he replied '......You can't quit your responsibilities'.

Deadlihood likes this.
  6. SolitaryScribe

I believe spirituality is directly correlated with the need to live in solitude. Ancient monastics fled the comfort of their homes to seek the solitude of the deserts of Egypt. They were trying to search for something that couldn't be found living in the world...

Responsibilities are only obligations we as a society have constructed for our selves in order to survive.
    Many solitaries form small communities, so help support each other in terms of food and companionship, there are only a handful of people that can live completely alone.

I'm curious as to what kind of things one can learn when not having the distractions of the world.

7. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

sounds terrible tbh, i can't survive outside for shit

8. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

No. I'm an introvert. But I wouldn't cut myself off from everyone. That would be a step too far. You'd miss out on a lot of fun and cool stuff too. I also don't want solitude..me and my girlfriend and no one else I could deal with..me on my own would be dumb lol

The only time this is a viable option I suppose (and even then only in certain cases) is for people with illnesses like severe stress, chronic illness/pain etc...solitude can be a last resort to escape, survive and recover/live in peace..other than that it's a bad idea for anyone..

9. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

I can appreciate some time being alone but now my philosophy is that this time should be used so I can go back to society with a renewed vision of what my place is in this world.

Although I have a profound desire for company and companionship, I have recently learned (painfully) that I also need some time alone. It's a boundary I had never thought of setting for myself.

Living like a hermit would be no more than a slow death, and I've had enough of that already.

BettaM32 likes this.
  10. DeProfundis

DeProfundis Fapstronaut

Hermits obviously spend a lot of time in prayer, work, and silence. Silence in solitude is a very big thing. When Man becomes silent, God starts to speak.

Knighthawk and SolitaryScribe like this.
  11. SolitaryScribe

Believe it or not, there are many people today who live in complete isolation without seeing a single person for decades. These people don't have any pain or illnesses, they are actually escaping from a very comfortable life of luxury. I believe that they are seeking for a truth that's outside the distractions of the world.

I don't necessary believe that living in solitude is a slow death. I know for a fact that this life style is a calling and it shouldn't be done just by anyone. Many people find comfort in the presence of others and relationships.

Here's a question for you though, what is it about the innate human nature that makes us want to live in a society and be around others, to find love, and grow a family. Why do certain people cut off those ties and opportunities to live alone?

I know one thing for a fact, no one lives alone out of hatred for humanity... those people usually don't last in the wilderness, they either go crazy or return to the world.

some interesting things to think about.

12. Ali97

Ali97 Fapstronaut

@Mchl101 Believe it or not I'm from Egypt but sadly from Cairo the busy stupid metropolis and while looking through my window yesterday I thought I wanna pack my stuff and move to the desert with my electric guitar and not say a word for like a month no matter who came across me or tried to talk to me. I know it sounds stupid and weird but it just came to my head like that.

Knighthawk likes this.
  13. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

Yeah bringing an electric guitar in the desert sounds quite stupid :D

dragonslayer likes this.
  14. SolitaryScribe

LOL he never said he was gonna play it! Maybe he just likes carrying it around

dragonslayer likes this.
  15. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

Or maybe he's this guy:
    [​IMG]

dragonslayer likes this.
  16. Ali97

Ali97 Fapstronaut

Lol actually if I found a proper electricity source I'll play it in the desert that'd be the coolest shit ever.

17. DeProfundis

DeProfundis Fapstronaut

It totally reminds me of the Scorpions MV

Knighthawk likes this.
  18. Ali97

Ali97 Fapstronaut

DeProfundis likes this.
  19. DeProfundis

DeProfundis Fapstronaut

Quite good!

Ali97 likes this.
  20. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

Ohhhh, tempting. It would be interesting to see what it would do to the narrations in my head. I'd have to wonder if I'd think less in words and more in images.