1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Im 19 and I dont wanna work all my life

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Sadakiyo, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Don't have he courage to read all the answers but find something you love so much that it doesn't feel like work, it feels like fun. For me it's designing typefaces. Being paid for it is a bonus, because I love it so much I could do it all my life

2. meatsandwich

meatsandwich Fapstronaut

I think overall business is solution for not wanting to work, as you build something of your own and it feels fullfilling while regular jobs might feel that you are making other people richer while they throw some pennies for you. Even when it would count as work, it wouldn't really feel so in my opinion.

3. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

OK. It requires some thought. You need to identify what you do as an expression of who you are. That sounds complicated, but it's really simple.

What do you do even when you're not being paid?
    What do you do even when it's not really your job?
    What would you still end up doing even if your boss told you not to?

Because that thing (whatever it is) is a great clue to work out what you're all about. If you can get paid to do that thing (enthuse about stamp collecting, make things beautiful, make cool stuff, write books, help people heal, play with interesting numbers, do fun stuff with earth-moving equipment... etc.) whatever. Then you'll end up doing it even on a really bad day, and on a good day it won't even feel like work at all.

Hope this helps

4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Just do it. People do things they don't like doing all the time, working is just one more of them.

5. I assume you are not a trust fund kid, so you likely will have to work in your life. You mention the thought of work depresses you and you are 19. Being that age, you likely have not worked a great job (if you have ever worked a job). Educate yourself, get qualified/certified to do something that interests you, etc. and try to find a work environment you can handle. I say work environment instead of job because every single job has something that sucks about it, whether it is an additional duty, a coworker, a supervisor, a policy, you name it. It's called work for a reason and not fun time, lol. For me personally, I found a job where I am not hassled. I basically come in, do my job, and have minimal stress. I doubt it will make me a millionaire, but it pays well to cover my needs and then some, and most importantly, it doesn't take up my whole life.

Try to have a positive attitude and think about why you need to work. Money isn't everything, but one needs it to live a reasonably well life. Maybe you won't have to work your whole life. Try to arrange your life so that you don't need a constant income stream. I saw a few others said to live minimalist lifestyle. That is great advice. Also, make sure you have other hobbies, people in your life, etc. to give your life meaning.

Lilla_My likes this.
  6. What would you prefer? Waiting for death idly?

7. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

As depressing as work might be, it's actually better than a lengthy period of unemployment as an adult (over about 23). Spending the odd summer idling about with your friends is great, day after day of nothing and no one to talk to (as your friends all have jobs), no money and the looming threat of homelessness and starvation if you don't find something to do, nobody wanting to employ you as you have patchy job history etc, is a really difficult situation to be in, and not something I would wish on anybody. Most people get out of it and end up fine, but it is difficult.
    Best to suck it up and take the drudge work, and use every spare minute you have to look for/prepare for something better...

Edit to add: it's always best to have good financial habits, whether you are rich or poor employed or not. It's far easier to save money than to make it, always.

Lilla_My likes this.
  8. Lmao welcome to life, glad you could join us.

Lilla_My likes this.
  9. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I shift the focus off myself and try to look at others. If I look at myself, the thoughts like "what I'm doing really sucks" or "I hate this" can get me down. If I look at others, I have thoughts like "this hard thing I did just made that person's day."

Life isn't about you, it's about what you can do for others. You give. You receive. Life is more beautiful that way.

Even the crummiest of jobs can have meaning if they are done with love.

10. I actually embraced the idea of working for my entire life as being a blessing. I’ve met so many bored retired individuals; my father was one of them. My grandfather on the other hand always worked and enjoyed life because of it.

Now my question is what profession will allow me to work and enjoy a nice balance between work and fun? The answer to that question is pointed toward being a real estate investor.

Lilla_My and Deleted Account like this.
  11. Good way of looking at it.

FX-05 likes this.
  12. same here. but not in a sense that it's really depressing, it just plain sucks. i feel like it takes too much time of my day, that i would rather do literally anything else (but maybe im just not used to it yet)

although i don't have any friends, never had a girlfriend, and don't go out cause what's really the point if you don't have any friends anyway, and that i live in a boring city. so maybe i shouldn't complain about having one anyway.

but that's not even the biggest issue with me, biggest one is 'HOLDING' a job. past 5 jobs i had was either being fired or walking out on them. but now i currently work at a plant stacking boxes on pallets, pushing boxes through a machine that puts tape on them, and inspecting toilet bowel cleaners as they are moving on a conveyeur. it bores me to death, but im hoping this can be my one big break on having a stable job. but as far as it seems, its looking to be good so far. the longest i lasted with all my jobs was 2 weeks, with my first job (kroger as a cashier) that lasted a month. but i got lucky with that one.

13. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

You could get married. At your age you could target some guy who is about 24 years old and just finished a STEM degree, or a tradesman. Probably not a good plan if you don't want kids.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  14. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Oddly enough, I get depressed when I have endless free time on my hands. Having a job can provide some stability and give you a reason to wake up in the morning, a purpose...

Lilla_My likes this.
  15. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Then what would you like to do with your life? Figure out what you actually like, do it and try to monetize it. Remember that there are people who actually play fucking video games for living. If there is anything you'd like to do, go for it.

16. Oddly, this. You think it'd be fun but it gets old and feels empty after awhile

17. Same. I guess it's young mans impatient mentality. Don't worry ;)

18. I'm telling you guys, if you are wise with your money, stay out of debt, live on less than you make, and invest wisely in passive income sources, you won't have to work for the rest of your life. You'll have a much better financial future.

19. Carry your burden. Take responsibility. You also can try to travel on a low budget like these fine people:
    https://www.roadaffair.com/about/
    I sometimes envy them.

The rest: plan your career, work on a strategy that gets you to where you want and then apply it. Stick to it. It will help you to keep going.

20. Get a job where you have access to morphine and an iv bag. Should be right and if u really want the best id recommend u invest in some speakers to blast a good mix of pink Floyd or led zeppelin.