1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

In love with a friend during reboot

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Backno, May 13, 2017.

1. Backno

Backno Fapstronaut

Hi everyone and first of all sorry for bad English. I'm 21 years old. I'm going to tell you my story. I was in a relationship with a girl until 8 month ago, when we broke after 3 years together. I think that the main reason that took us to the end was my masturbation addiction, as well as anxiety and depression problems. When we kept apart I couldn't get a strong erection, I used to tell her that this happened becouse of anxiety, but now I realised that maybe the masturbation could be the reason. In effect I used to masturbate every day and 3-4 times a day. I began to masturbate in this way when I had a strong anxiety problem and in those days the masturbation was the only way to get relaxed. But also when I had solved my anxiety problem I couldn't stop masturbating in that way, it was a real addiction and this got on for 3 years. In the end we decided to break. Now I'm triying with all my strength to get off this situation, which is really pulling me down, and I began a rebot. I won't masturbate anymore.
    But here's the problem: I think I'm in love with a friend of mine. I knew her about 2 years ago, we follow together university lessons. But exactly when I broke with my girlfriend, she got in a relationship with another boy. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I think that she could like me, but I also think that she is a great friend, and so I don't want to ruin her life. I had strong erection problems in my last relationship and i think that also if she would leave her boyfriend and stay with me I could spoil her life with those problems... Problems that surely she doesn't have with her actual boyfriend. I know that also assuming that my problems are caused by masturbation addiction it takes several month to get back to normal. So I may wait. But I also think that if I wait too much she could reinforce her love for her boyfriend, and destroy the possibilities to get her. Additionally this is our last year of university together and after June I will see her very less than now, becouse we live in two distant towns. But I'm not sure that I would have those problems with another girl too. Maybe with my ex girlfriend the erection problem was amplified by a decline in desire caused by our frequent quarrels about our situation. I know that the wise choice is to not do absolutely nothing with my friend, but I would like to have some opinions.

2. Bearish

Bearish Fapstronaut

So sorry--that is a very painful situation to be in. If you would like my advice, I would guess that neither of you is in a place to form healthy relationship ties at the moment--you, because you are working on your addiction trouble, and she, because either she is still attached to this other man, or she is too recently separated from him to have reestablished her identity as a single person.

So with kind frankness, I would tell you to put some distance between her and you, for your own health, and focus on your work here. You may have strong feelings for her, but if you continue to wish to be closer, you will increase your own pain and distract yourself from the recovery journey.

Sorry. That's what I think.

Marcel0404 likes this.
  3. Backno

Backno Fapstronaut

Thank you for your answer. This situation is so frustrating. If I didn't have this problem I would certainly try with her. Is it possible that this problem have to ruin life in this way?

4. As bearishDGS already told you, first you have to get rid of your addiction. Don't fall in love - rise in love. The 7 days you already did on your NO PMO - journey are great. Stay strong and continue rebooting. All is well. There is always hope.