1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

In retrospect, what mistake did your parents make in raising you?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Blackest Bile, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Blackest Bile

Blackest Bile Fapstronaut

Understood that yeah. But I mean, what can I say more? Sorry? I didn't thought I would've stayed in that community, but I do really enjoy it. So I keep my "nickname" and that is it!.

2. I understand, it’s the other guy who had the problem not me.

3. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

- My parents threatened to send me to military school, in hindsight they should have lol.
    - Father is a controlling sociopath.
    - They “encouraged” (semi forced) me to go to a private college, get a mostly worthless degree, and come out with $60k in student loans, which would be fine if my degree wasnt mostly worthless. My first full time job (which took months to find) paid $22k per year...(fortunately I make a lot of money now so it worked out, but my degree doesn’t help me with that job,and I’m still stuck with the debt).
    - Coddled and controlled me through guilt and manipulation, which made me really good at just living a secret life.
    - Oh here’s a good one. Intentionally drove division between me and my wife after I was found out and tried to (and initially succeeded at) turning me against her.
    - Consistenly broke boundries and used my addiction against me to try to regain their control over me as a young adult.
    - Turned members of the family against my wife.
    - The list goes on.

They are fucking awful.

LEPAGE likes this.
  4. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

They though that school would teach me everything. Relationships? Absolutely fuckin' clueless. The ol' Rickey Mooney Man-to-Man talk? Never happened. Employment, or any other life advice? Narry a thought. How to tie a tie, or even tie my shoes? I learned the first from the Internet and the second from some kid at the playground.

How to yell and scream, or blow up over nothing? I learned that from them.

This thread seems like a "fuck my parents" thread. While I don't think they did me many favors, I still think it's mostly my own fault. Still, if I ever have kids, I desperately want to do better.

Gotham Outlaw and hardowner like this.
  5. Lestgn

Lestgn Fapstronaut

They were never parents. My father was a great uncle who came over every couple of months or once a year and buy my lollies and yogurts as a child and when I was a teenager he was a cool uncle who let me go parties and offers to pick up his 14 year old daughter from a party at 3am.

My mother was this cool aunt who lives far away and I see every couple of years and would occasionally send me clothes.

My grandmother was great carer who made sure I had food, house and clothes. When I became a teenager and one of my real aunties took that responsibility. Again just the basics which meant I never had any supervision, nobody parented me and I taught myself everything I know.

6. Westsidejimmy

Westsidejimmy Fapstronaut

Oh I can relate to this. The only real advice I got from my dad was save 10 percent of everything and be in the top 10 percent at what you do. I didn't learn how to balance a checkbook until I was in the Army. Well I did turn out successful mostly because PMO and phrases from my mom like "It's that easy huh" made me a mean self centered SOB. Luckily I have turned the corner and my biggest conquest now is conquering this evil.

Millenial likes this.
  7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

They weren’t strict with me especially on how I spend my time. All I did for much of my teenaged years was exercise, do sport and play video games... I was addicted to all 3; I’d be cranky if I went a day without any of the 3. I wasn’t ever taught budgeting or or other useful lifestyles because I was too preoccupied doing those things.