1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Insomnia and the Methods We Use...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Brain-Police, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Anybody here a chronic sufferer of insomnia?
    I know I am not the only one.
    I wanted to know the methods you guys use and do in order to get a good night's sleep, if any.
    Do you find that being on a streak helps?
    What are your bedtime routines?

I guess my dilemma is quite unique that not even doctors know what's wrong.
    I can't sleep after working out of any kind. Whether that be yoga, running, calisthenics, weightlifting and anything that might cause me to break a sweat.
    I can go on walks, long ones at that, but that's about it.
    I've tried melatonin, tried valerian root, was on meds, tried meditating before bed, reading before bed, halting the use of all electronics 2 hours before bed, avoiding food 3 hours before bed, strenuous exercise 4 hours before bed, and i don't drink or do drugs or drink caffeine.
    Meditating doesn't work when I work out that day, just energizes me
    I even tried getting up every 15 minutes when lying in bed and doing something relaxing and returning to bed to sleep and nope.
    I did blood work and it all came back normal.
    They said my heart numbers were fine, (though I need to go to a cardiologist to make sure when I find a job...)
    And my vitals were fine.
    Like I said, sleepless nights only happen when I do a sweat-filled work out.

Any thoughts on my situation would be much appreciated, and tell me about what's going on with you guys.

Talz likes this.
  2. she-dernatinus

she-dernatinus Fapstronaut

I used to suffer from chronic insomnia too, and most of it was the result of stress and adrenaline rush. My condition gradually improved when I began to take anti-depressants, now I just need to hear a few relaxing online narrated stories on YouTube to let sleep overtake me.

If you want to avoid any sort of medication, I advise you to look for relaxing creepy stories. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but it's a trial and error situation where you'll need to experiment a lot to find out what works for you.

Brain-Police likes this.
  3. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Thank you for your response. I used to take anti-depressants but found that the side effects messed me up waaay too much for me to even account for the short time benefits it gave me, plus it stopped helping me sleep after a couple of days and just made me tired all day.

I will try some creepy relaxing stories. Usually, they always interest me so much that they keep me up, but thank you for the tip! Something'll work

she-dernatinus likes this.
  4. she-dernatinus

5. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

I did try it, and it didn't work. I find that I need to just expel all of my excess energy in the morning, or as early in the day as possible so that by the time nighttime hits, my adrenaline high comes down and I can just pass out. This is the best I've got so far.
    Unfortunately, I come from a family-line of insomniacs, all from my pops' side, and all of my brothers have it as well.
    I think I have it the worst. It's getting better these days, and I am still trying to figure out how to navigate through it.
    Testing the waters to see if there are any patterns with diet, working out, electronic usage, reading and all that shniznah.

Thank you for your concern @she-dernatinus , I appreciate it.
    Hope you're sleeping well these days.
    Do you still take meds?

she-dernatinus likes this.
  6. she-dernatinus

Of course I do.

I do sleep well. And thank you for your concern.

Brain-Police likes this.