1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Internet addiction problem

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by NightReaper775, Jul 21, 2017.

1. NightReaper775

NightReaper775 Fapstronaut

I am struggling with a big PMO addiction, and a lesser gaming one (at least it feels weaker right now after a few intermediate streaks); but what I found is that they all feed (in part) from a gigantic Internet addiction that I have had since starting high school, or even earlier. Before that I would play a lot with consoles or use the PC for gaming purposes, but when I found out social media and the Internet world in general (YouTube for example), it all went down to an interconnected world of dopamine releases, huge wastes of time, and problems socializing/doing a lot of things. It may be a bit to early of a self-diagnosis, but I might have had ADHD for years, and I did not pay attention to it because of all the addictions I was into.

I did a lot since last year's December to help myself fight this dependances: I quitted Facebook, I stopped gaming many times (now on my longest streak), I am fending off PMO with varying degrees of success in the past, I picked up reading again, I am doing more chores in my house, I study more (but as I seem to have a huge attention disorder this is progressing slower), I changed my sleeping cycle to reduce nightly use of my computer, and to wake up earlier (still trying to recover the habits I got in the summer), whatever, but any free time apart from these habits (from 2 to 8 hours per day) is still being filled up by Internet use: chatting with friends, reading news, watching a lot of YouTube videos, reading forums (this one for example), you name it. How can I just use my time more wisely? I feel like this is hindering my progress big time, it is bad for my health (it worsens my sight problems, my posture, my social anxiety, my attention is as bad as always and what keeps me going are my patience and discipline, etc.) and I do not win anything from it, of course. I might start by blocking YouTube, but if there is not anything else that I can dedicate myself to, in the long run I could only relapse there.

I salute your response, have a nice evening.

vibemaker likes this.
  2. vibemaker

vibemaker Fapstronaut

My Journal
    This words could come from my mouth man. I can totally relate to it. I quit gaming about a year ago, but I still waste so much time on the internet browsing without any aim, procastinating. It makes me so restless and depressed most of the time. It always feels like "the screen is calling".

I'm trying to get away from it for about a year without real success. When I managed to stay away or spend only half an hour-hour/day for a week I felt so much better in general.

I think maybe the only possibilty for us is to go offline on the computer (like cancel the internet connection) and use another device for browsing only when it's totally necessary (like a tablet or a phone).

NightReaper775 likes this.
  3. NightReaper775

NightReaper775 Fapstronaut

Thanks for answering, I will start by using some kind of blocker to limit my usage little by little until I am able to do other things and not worry about it anymore. As you say, it is so like that "the screen is calling to me", I am so habituated to being there in front of the PC that I forgot what to do with my life when I cannot access it. I will emphasize on blocking the YouTube home, and only use it when I have something in mind first.

Greetings.

Deleted Account and vibemaker like this.