Intimacy

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

Run_Like_Joseph_Did Fapstronaut

question for all you guys on the forum.

How do we define hardlines for romantic intimacy outside of marriage. The most clear cut line is sexual relations. Beyond that how do we make distinction between what is and isn’t ok? Hand holding, hugging, kissing? How should we approach this for non married men and women?

A common answer that I hear in evangelical circles is the sister rule that goes something like this: you shouldn’t do anything with a spiritual sister in Christ that you wouldn’t do with your biological sister. I.e you wouldn’t kiss your sister etc...
    I see far too many holes in this standard that can’t stand up to scrutiny. For instance I could easily say: “you would never ask your biological sister on a date so don’t do that to anyone else you adulterous pervert.”
    See how easy that standard breaks down?
    Anyway, what do y’all think?

2. Max Fisher

Max Fisher Fapstronaut

How long do you intend a courtship to be? What does the Bible say about that?

3. Super Mike James

Super Mike James Fapstronaut

kissing is ok just do it in public. To marry a person you never kissed would be pretty extreem.

One Eyed Owl and Max Fisher like this.
  4. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

Well the Bible doesn’t have much of any explicit talk of dating in a modern context. I suppose what Christians should do is derive biblical principles and apply them to our contexts

But can we have an exact standard? A firm line to stand on that comes from a biblical worldview.

One Eyed Owl and Max Fisher like this.
  5. Super Mike James

No french kissing or touching. Kissing and hand holding is ok

One Eyed Owl likes this.
  6. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

...ok then. I’ll keep that in mind. ;)

7. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

Here's something formatted for teens :)

8. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

I’d prefer something more... biblical. The apostles, presidents, and prophets of the LDS church are not a good measure of good discernment

9. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

Sorry if I didn't capture the nature of your request. All I was offering advice about the conclusions we draw from the directives God has given. And, the idea is wise to avoid getting too close to the lines at all.

In the For the Strength of Youth book, the Dating and Purity sections include scripture references like 1 Cor 11:11 and Genesis 39:1-12. The story of Joseph and Potiphar's wife can teach us a lot of things.

Plenty of other scripture is instructive about immorality, perhaps especially sections of letters from Paul to the churches. Have you looked up verses yourself? One great thing about technology is that speedy searching :)

Roady likes this.
  10. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

I do. The scripture is a book of principles. It's my responsibility to exegete my way to a principle for my particular context while not loading the text with what I might want it to say. It gets pretty tough sometimes.

Max Fisher and vxlccm like this.
  11. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

I do. The scripture is a book of principles. It's my responsibility to exegete my way to a principle for my particular context while not loading the text with what I might want it to say. It gets pretty tough sometimes.

vxlccm likes this.
  12. Max Fisher

Max Fisher Fapstronaut

So...follow up...which base did you get to? Did you kiss her?

vxlccm likes this.
  13. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

Yeah we decided together that that base per se was ok. I would say I‘ve done a fair bit of looking into the issue and find no biblical basis that could infer that it is inherently wrong.

One Eyed Owl, Max Fisher and vxlccm like this.
  14. Super Mike James

It depends, if kissing is ok with you and does not lead to further things then I think that's OK

One Eyed Owl and vxlccm like this.
  15. Run_Like_Joseph_Did

I think so. We've both mutially agreed on boundaries that dont let us dive deeper than where we are at. It can be very subjective though. Some are of the opinion that anything that "works you up" should be avoided. The main problem with this is that could mean practically anything to anybody. And if it can mean anything, then it means nothing. So I think we should all acknowledge that this particular issue is a lot murkier than we would all like it to be and that it's not a simple answer.

Max Fisher and One Eyed Owl like this.