IQ Tests – good at maths = high IQ, bad at maths good at everything else = low IQ

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Codename47, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Codename47

Codename47 Fapstronaut

Hi

Take an online IQ test and see if you can answer those questions with “blip” and “blop” and how many “blips” fit into a “flop” or those matrices. If you got an IQ of 50 or 60 are you “retarded”? Probably not. If you are naturally good at maths from birth and don’t suck at maths you are apparently a “genius” and superior to every human being on this planet with a lower number than you. Conversely, if you get an IQ score in the double digits or “retarded” IQ score apparently you can forget ever getting the job of your dreams and should become the “geniuses” servants in a dead end job. I wonder if some inhuman people would love it if everyone would wear a sign on their chest with their number and the “retarded” people should be put to work as human experiments because apparently they aren’t human (exactly what happened under the Nazi regime). Or those “people” that think that their “race” is superior because people from different countries have never heard of maths or IQ tests before and get double digit IQ scores. IQ tests only measure a single type of intelligence. No one should made to feel stupid their entire life because they can’t do math. This post’s purpose is to vent about how unfair IQ tests are.

thinking_differently likes this.
  2. BravelyKegger

BravelyKegger Fapstronaut

Well the left brain is highly valued in our society, logical thinking and maths, I personally have low left brain but very high right, which deals with emotional intelligences and such, I find it annoying how people dismiss the right brain a lot especially men, but men are almost always left brain dominant so it is not surprise.

| Gamma | likes this.
  3. Richard Feynman reportedly scored 125. I got 130. That tells you everything you need to know about these tests (I don't think they changed much).

| Gamma | and HelpMeDESU! like this.
  4. Nick Johnny Nicholson

Nick Johnny Nicholson Fapstronaut

The test you are talking about is Logical test. There are many different types of intelligence and recently they discovered some more but here the most common ones:
    1. musical-rhythmic,
    2. visual-spatial,
    3. verbal-linguistic,
    4. logical-mathematical,
    5. bodily-kinesthetic,
    6. interpersonal,
    7. intrapersonal,
    8. naturalistic
    Muhammad Ali had 78 IQ test ("borderline intellectual functioning" and is just a notch above mildy retarded), look at his speeches, look at his achievements, look at his life, look at his fighting style (who you associate with invention of rope a dope?). Life is not reasonable after all so using reasoning and logic wont get you far if you got only logical and mathematical intelligence (score high on IQ test). Many high IQ people are actually antisocial and unhappy. IQ is a complete joke.

5. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I think you're taking it too seriously. First of all the chances that whatever iq tests you took are legit tests that give official scores are pretty low, since most online tests are total garbage. Secondly even the tests that are more popular and widely considered to be better quality aren't universally seen as accurate or flawless depiction of one's intelligence, but have received a lot of critique for multiple reasons.

Sure there are some elitist people who view iq tests as the word of God and objective measure of one's worth as a person, but those people aren't worth listening to.

Nick Johnny Nicholson likes this.
  6. Intelligence can't be measured. Period.

7. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

Yeah!
    IQ is complete BULLSHIT. BULLLLLL SHIT.
    There’s nothing like a Genius.

There’s a person who likes doing something, and he/she managed to find that ‘Something’ and take it further.

Codename47 and | Gamma | like this.
  8. PerseveranceToday

PerseveranceToday Fapstronaut

Telling yourself IQ is useless is comforting to be sure (especially if you have a lower IQ than you would want, like I do), but it's not true. IQ is correlated fairly strongly with life success. In fact, it's the best predictor of life success there is. This is life success in terms of career and wealth, nothing else, but achieving well here often means you're happier overall.

IQ isn't everything, definitely, in fact the second biggest predictor of the same kind of success is work ethic. But calling it baseless or useless is simply wrong. I do think saying IQ is a blanket for overall intelligence is misleading though. In fact, saying there is such a thing as a single intelligence atall is misleading.

TheBigJ likes this.
  9. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Source? As far as I've understood, things such as in which country you were born, how rich your parents were, did you get a proper education etc. are way bigger factors than iq. (Although they are also factors that positively affect iq.)

10. PerseveranceToday

This is downstream information I received from Jordan Peterson a while ago. I think you'll find it in this clip but I don't have the time to watch the whole thing right now. Certainly somewhere in that lecture. I'm sure with a little bit of digging you can find the research he's citing, too, if second hand info isn't reliable enough for you.

Definitely, different cultures will restrict achievement a lot. But I think the framing still stands within any single society. Being the best predictor doesn't mean it's an automatic win condition. The correlation found (if memory serves, which it often doesnt) was only about 0.5. If you have an IQ of 150 but grow up without any formal education and have the work ethic of a koala bear you probably won't do so well. Likewise, if you have an average IQ but the stars align in every other way you'll probably do very well for yourself. Reality is complicated, unfortunately. Otherwise IQ would basically be a birthright to success.

11. mr.incognito

mr.incognito Fapstronaut

Socialization and cultural familiarity are more important than IQ for success in general. IQ is more important only when you are working somewhere that requires a lot of rigorous math and logic, but most things don't require much of those; whereas, talking in a convincing way and gaining people's trust is needed all the time. Just my opinion.

12. oryxcrstl

oryxcrstl Fapstronaut

13. thinking_differently

Just an question to know people’s views:
    How many think Intelligence can be developed later in life?

Because there’s nothing like “Born Intelligent”. That person has just been exposed to logic EARLY in life, not at birth.

14. PerseveranceToday

That depends. Many psychologists split intelligence in two. The former, "fluid intelligence" is essentially what we think of as IQ, or traditional intelligence. It is inherent reasoning and analytical skill. With practice you can influence this to a small extent, but really you're going to stay within the same narrow range (arbitrarily lets say 5 IQ points) for your entire life. In fact, if fluid IQ does change it usually trends downwards.

The latter, crystal intelligence, is what you might think of as knowledge and memory. It is a function of prior experience instead of inherent ability. If fluid intelligence is the ability to reason that a^2+b^2=c^2 intuitively, crystal intelligence is the ability to recall that information from prior learning and apply it to a problem. This is something, of course, that we can increase through lived experience.

Crystal IQ tends to increase with age whereas fluid IQ tends to stay the same or, in old age, even decrease slightly.

This is false. Unfortunately, genetics is unfair. Some people get better genes than others. That's not to discount the role of nurture in helping foster intelligence, but there is undeniably a large chunk of the variance of smarts in a society that can be explained solely by natural means.

15. thinking_differently

“Genetics”. That’s baseless. There are many counterexamples, I’ll give you one.

Ramanujan. He was from a poor uneducated family. His parents were not “Intelligent”. So how does Genetics Come into play here?
    He got exposed to it from someone, and started learning more about it. Exposure at an early age.

Take The example of A ROCKET scientist: Dr. Abdul Kalam, He was from a remote village in India. He would not have had become one, if it wasn’t an exposure of Mathematics by the Village Teacher, to this 7-8 year old Boy, I doubt where would have been.

At least in the field of Mathematics and Science,
    Intelligence can be developed, both, Fluid and Crystal.

I don’t know about other fields.

16. PerseveranceToday

No, look, I don't want to sound mean but even a basic understanding of genetics debunks this. There is a reason you do not look exactly like your parents. I have brown hair despite the fact both my parents have black hair. Genes can be carried through generations without representation: recessively. Furthermore, intelligence understood this way is not the expression of a single gene but many genes coming together. Essentially a bunch of potential on/off switches that come together to define what we see as smarts. The system is so complicated it seems random without careful study. I am not denying the important role of good upbringing in nurturing a good intelligence - life success is anything but a binary affair - but denying the importance of biology in these matters is naive at best.

I reckon he was already a very smart boy. Without the exposure and upbringing he had he would have never become a rocket scientist, but without at least some level of inherent intelligence it would have been very difficult for him to become one too.

To say this is to undermine the very point of splitting intelligence in two as such.

17. thinking_differently

Well well, everyone has their theories and beliefs.
    It’s too soon in life for me to be absolutely sure about any theory.
    So I will also keep ‘Genetics’ in mind. Hope I have a better Understanding in future.

But it’s an interesting thought that Genetics can affect Intelligence. I’m sure there’ll be multiple Characters associated with it, besides have more than 2 traits(beyond dominant and recessive).

18. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

If it was on that clip, I missed it.
    I found similar claims here: https://www.inc.com/business-inside...b-performance-according-science-research.html
    However it might be that you're remembering something wrong, because they are talking about iq as a predictor of job performance, not success.

Think about it. If you were born in a poor country and a poor family and the only way you could survive was to work 1$/hour to help keep your family alive, would high iq help you become succesfull? This is of course an extreme example, but even if you are just an american who can't afford education, iq alone isn't going to get you far in life. If you are fortunate enough to be able to access education and get a proper job that way, iq will become a significant factor of your success, but up till that point it can't really save you.

thinking_differently likes this.
  19. PerseveranceToday

(Note: writing this whilst tired as fuck, please excuse any grammatical mistakes or lurid ranting)

It's in that clip. I watched it this morning and unless my memory really is that bad, he explains most of what I said in my OP here therein. Your second point is essentially what I am saying. The correlation with IQ and success is about 0.5, meaning about 25% of the variance of success can be explained away by IQ. Obviously that's not how reality works, but even if it was that leaves a lot of room for edge cases like that. Even so, IQ is a measure of more than just academic ability, its better described as lower-level analytical and problem solving ability. So a sufficiently smart kid could probably figure a way out of the whole 1$/h situation. Maybe not though, and in that case that kid can count himself part of the 75%. IQ isn't everything, if it was we would live in a very drab world where you would live and die by your IQ score, but regardless it's the best single measure of intelligence there is.

20. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Okay, so we mostly agree?

PerseveranceToday likes this.