1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a gym a good place to meet people?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by CThatch94, Mar 7, 2019.

1. CThatch94

CThatch94 Fapstronaut

I have thought about going to planet fitness. Not so much for exercise but just something for me to do on my days off and get me off the computer. Is a gym a good place to meet people?

Re:Born likes this.
  2. MonkeyDo

MonkeyDo Fapstronaut

Anywhere that people are is a good place to meet people.

Look, you're essentially asking us for permission to go to the gym to meet people. Stop that.

If you want to go to the gym, go. If you don't, don't. You don't need anybody's permission. Do what YOU want in this life, not what other people tell you you're supposed to do.

As for the gym, don't expect people to be super chatty when their main focus is on their work out, but it's absolutely possible to start up little conversations here and there.

Ed365 likes this.
  3. I would recommend exercising there, muscle builds confidence, and it can be, walk up to someone benching and offer to spot them, thats a good way to do it, or find a workout partner. Tho planet fitness is lame so i would find a real gym.

+TenPercent likes this.
  4. Marik757

Marik757 Fapstronaut

I agree planet fitness is lame (lack of free weight equipment), but an good place to start. Work on yourself first (form, posture, and confidence in knowing what you are doing). Become an regular gym go'er so people know your presence.

As for gym etiquette:
    - It's best to talk to people as you encounter them walking into or leaving the gym, coming out locker room, or when asking if they are using an equipment.
    - Dont interrupt people in the middle of their reps (and those on cardio equipment).
    - Dont engage in long drawn out conversations during rest periods. Rest period is important for some people. Had this one guy talked to me about his finances and wouldnt shut up. So I told him I had to get back to my sets. He waited and kept talking once i finished my set....
    - Dont stare at women... dont compliment their looks.
    - Dont act like an know it all correcting peoples form.
    - Dont ask to spot someone if you dont know how to spot...

Slowly get to know someone in time as you become an frequent gym go'er. For me I take my gym days seriously. I see a lot of young people think the gym is an hangout social setting.

5. i agree with these, definitely dont flirt with women, they hate that and especially during a workout, they dont want to go to the gym and be hit on, same for me honestly, i prefer people leaving me be for the most part, tho i am always willing to help someone.

Re:Born likes this.
  6. Marcelo48

Marcelo48 Fapstronaut

Sure, go for it. It's going to be good for you. Just don't try to hit on women, the gym is one of the worst places to do that.

7. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Depends on what kind of people you want to meet. Of course it's a good way to meet people, but you can say that about just about anything that takes place outside your home. There are always going to be lots of people at the gym. The question is whether or not that's who you are. Are you the sort of person who wants to go to the gym? Would you enjoy being at the gym even if there were no other people there? If so, then I'd say go for it. If not, then I think you're better off finding some other social gathering that's more aligned with your interests.

8. CThatch94

CThatch94 Fapstronaut

I need both honestly. I consider myself in good shape but as an order selector I want to get faster at my job since the faster i move the more money i make. I start to tire out about 4 hours in. I do want a social place as well. I gotta start talking with people more.

boichy likes this.
  9. ProtagonistOfMyLife

ProtagonistOfMyLife Fapstronaut

Yes, it is but only if you actually work out. Sharing a hobby connects people.
    If you just go there for small talk people will probably just find you annoying and avoid you in order to get done with their training routine.
    I have had this happen to me a few times. Those were nice people and I was of course polite to them. But the only real friends I made at the gym actually work out themselves.

CThatch94 and boichy like this.
  10. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

If you want to go to the gym, just start going. If you stay committed to it, you'll start making connections with people naturally.

11. RadiantSoul

RadiantSoul Fapstronaut

Yeah, The more the people see you there, the more familiar you will get and you will be more familiar to them, it goes both ways. it will become easier and easier to approach those people because they 'know' you, and you 'know' them.

you could start by just saying hi to the people who work there every time you come in. then the next time hey, how are you? you only need that one sentence everytime you come. by the 5th-7th time you would be familiar enough and the convo would just flow naturally. and there you go. a couple new friends in 1-2 months. Honestly, <- this advice works anywhere and everywhere you go.

GigglingTrout likes this.
  12. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

This is the best way for me, as I don't enjoy the gym enough to stay motivated long term. Find a partner and motivate each other. Can either ask around online, ask the staff, or drag along a friend that complains about their fitness but never got round to doing anything about it.

once everyone in the gym sees you as a regular, as a sociable friendly guy who is always there, they will all want to come chat to you anyway.

It's not a great place to pick up women, in case you were wondering. They all think they look gross working out and sweaty, so they don't want you to make them feel self conscious by noticing them. Even when they look great :) It can happen though, so be friendly and supportive of their fitness goals, and you may just end up sharing a smoothie afterwards...

13. Roffelaar

Roffelaar Fapstronaut

In my opinion, no.

The gym is where people are working out and the people that are talking are people that know eachother outside the gym aswell.
    If you want to socialize go into group workouts. Take boxing classes or jiu jitzu because in classes you and the people in your group are experiencing the same struggles and the same fights and THAT forms a bond with people.
    I see it with my boxing classes. I got fucked up with boxing one day and I didn't really know my opponent (don't get scared boxing isnt that scary) and I had to walk out of the ring with my nose dripping blood over the floor. Me and that guy have now a good bond, because of this. We can laugh about it now :p

Your main goal should be the training itself and the social shit comes in time.