1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is die hard a Christmas movie?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Gotham Outlaw, Dec 24, 2018.

Is die hard a Christmas movie?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Do you think die hard is a Christmas movie? I don't think so. I think it needs more than being set on Christmas.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. AEC Josh2415

AEC Josh2415 Fapstronaut

Christmas is about good vs evil. McLane personifies goodness and heroism in vanquishing those whose greed compels them to steal, threatening his loved ones from whom he is estranged. In the end, all humanity is reunited in Love. It's a Christmas movie.

3. lol...good one, thread, yippee ki yey.
    I tend to agree with your take on it, Gotham.
    It was more of an endurance move to see how much punishment John could take and still survive :D

4. Haha!!! This is like some Jordan Peterson topic, finding the mythological relevance of a classic 80’s movie.

I agree in its symbolism of being able to rise above suffering.

Great post

Stay strong

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  5. Whenever I buy a movie on DVD/Blue-ray I try to get it with a commentary feature. I love hearing some of
    the background info of a movie. But you're right, you can also get a classic with some professor or cinema
    historian giving their take on it. They come up with what I think are so many bizarre ideas of what the
    director must have been thinking or the true meaning of a scene etc. was which IMO seems so contrived,
    that I think they just want to hear themselves talk, or sound relevant?

An example is when in the scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy runs into the guy wielding the sword
    and ends up in just shooting him, was due to the fact that Harrison Ford was feeling sick that day and didn't want to get
    into a whole fight sequence and said to Spielberg, just let me shoot him. Simple as that, yet some professor may have come up
    with a whole different philosophical spin on it had we not known otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2018
  6. TheBarbarian

TheBarbarian Fapstronaut

I consider any movie that takes place on Christmas a “Christmas movie.” Just my opinion

Gotham Outlaw and Kenzi like this.
  7. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

8. Gotham Outlaw

Interesting perspective

Okay, fair enough. Would you also consider Ted to be a Christmas movie, because of the Christmas part?

9. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I thought we hashed this out already. Since we're in the era when anyone can identify as anything then classifying something as a Christmas movie is child's play.

10. TheBarbarian

TheBarbarian Fapstronaut

I haven’t seen it but I would say no, because it doesn’t sound like it’s the main setting or important to the story. The Christmas party in Die Hard is one of the important parts of the movie

11. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

I think charlie and the chocolate factory is a Christmas movie

12. Haha..that triggered me..now I need my safe space, thanks..

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  13. Gotham Outlaw

Could you explain why?

14. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Because in ending willy Wonka was having dinner with charlie's family
    On Christmas Eve

15. Gotham Outlaw

I don't remember that part. I'll have to try to watch it sometime soon.

16. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

It's in the ending scene

17. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

It counts in my book.

So does Lethal Weapon, which I actually like a bit more. Riggs and McLane use the same gun. Literally the same 92F was used in both films.

As a franchise, I would have had Die Hard in first, if not for movies 4 and 5. Now I'm not so sure.

18. Gotham Outlaw

You can't even say happy holidays anymore since that's offensive to people who aren't happy.

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  19. Khufu

Khufu Fapstronaut

My Journal
    is paranormal activivty a christmas movies cause thats what im currently watching with my grandma during this good christmas nite :p, my granda says its a goofy movie

20. I consider it a Christmas movie. McClane is ultimately fighting for his family and that solidifies the Christmas aspect since all Christmas specials are about love and family.

On a side note the more compelling story is about Sgt. Al Powell and his transfer from NYC to LA after helping the Ghostbusters. Then after Nakatomi Plaze, Al enters witness protection and is moved to Chicago where he assumed the identity of Carl Winslow.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.