1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to change your core?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Nomenyeux, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Nomenyeux

Nomenyeux Fapstronaut

I like to smoke pot and listen to electronic music regularly. The apostle Paul does not seem to approve. He likes firemen whose eyes are more white than brown. I really love Paul but he seems to make impossible demands sometimes. I try to change for him but this makes me feel psychotic.

What do you guys think about this?

2. We as Christians must reject temporary worldly pleasures for the eternal, permanent treasures in eternity with God. Just ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit and to develop in you a desire to follow Him and His Word rather than the pleasures of this world.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
  3. I am super confused by this entire post. What on earth is wrong with electronic music? And what is this nonsense about firemen and white eyes? I'm totally lost. Also, if you're talking about the Paul of the Bible, and you are a Christian, please keep perspective and know that Paul is just a man, not your Savior. He has some good things to say, but he isn't who you should be trying to "change" for.

Nomenyeux likes this.
  4. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Learn to take pleasure in higher things.:rolleyes:

Nomenyeux and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Aren't we supposed to only like music that glorifies God? Good point about changing for God rather man BTW.

6. Lol what? Please point me to where the Bible says anything about only listening to worship music. As long as music isn't inappropriate, like explicit or sexual or anything, what would make you think someone using their talents as a musician wouldn't glorify God? He's the one who blesses us with these gifts. You don't need to be singing praise songs to be glorifying God.

I, personally, am an author, but I don't write Christian fiction. Most of my characters aren't Christians. They're messy, they do bad things sometimes, they swear, they have (non-explicitly-written) sex. And when I do have Christian themes incorporated, I think those ideas and themes can reach more lost people if I am not writing something that's solely marketed to Christians. The Bible says whatever you do, do it for Him and His glory. I believe any time I'm using my God-given gifts, it brings glory to God and makes Him smile.

But seriously, please show me where the Bible says that we are only allowed to listen to worship songs. I guarantee you will not find that anywhere in His word. So whoever has told you that is operating on their own opinions and feelings, not the word of God.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
    Deleted Account, Spiff and Nomenyeux like this.
  7. The Bible doesn't say but as you pointed out the Bible does say that we should use our gifts to glorify God. I was taught that even if it isn't sexually explicit or contain vulgar lyrics, that it still doesn't bring glory to God and that we shouldn't listen to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
  8. Most adult Christians that I know only listen to worship music.

9. Well... again, I have no idea why anyone would teach you that. Do you think love between two non-believers brings glory to God? I do. They aren't being loving for God's sake, but it still brings Him glory and shows a part of who He is (which is Love) to the world. I think God is in everything kind, beautiful, good, etc. If God gives a man the gift of having a good ear for music, and he uses that gift to create beautiful, wordless symphonies, why would that not bring glory to God? Why would that not make God smile and bring joy to his ears?

Spiff likes this.
  10. That's fine if that's what they like to do. But to say that it's wrong to listen to anything that doesn't talk about God or praise God directly is just an opinion, and definitely not anything God demands of you or anyone else. I suppose you're not allowed to listen to Beethoven then? Chopin, Mozart..?

11. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on you if that's what you want to do. And if you, personally, feel that God has told you not to listen to anything other than worship music, then that's what you should do. But please don't go around preaching that as if it's a standard all Christians must follow... that's just simply not true at all.

12. Well they're good artists. I'm sure I could listen to them but not more than listening to worship music.

13. And one of the biggest things God calls us to is to go forth and be a witness to others. How are we supposed to do that if we remain bubbled in our own little Christian cocoon?

14. Again, whatever, that's fine. That's a personal choice. I don't care about your personal choices, but when you preach them as if it's something God has demanded of all Christians, that's a problem. That's false doctrine.

15. According to you, though, you can't listen to them... because it isn't worship music, and therefore somehow doesn't glorify God.

16. I'm not trying to control other people's lives and even if I did try to preach it, a lot of Christians might not follow it anyway. What I don't agree with (and I'm not accusing you of this) though is comprising on Scripture like some Christians do when it comes to objective morals explained in scripture about social issues for example in order to be more inclusive.

17. I could but not more than worship music.

18. Says who?

Alright, let's just get back to what you originally said. Your original statement was "I thought we weren't supposed to like music that doesn't glorify God?"

I guess my response to that would be, sure, you're correct. But to me, music doesn't have to be talking about Jesus or something in order to glorify God. God is love. God is justice. God is beauty. God is peace. God is joy. Any song that is about any of those things, and so many more, glorifies God. That's just my opinion. But my main point here is that it's all a matter of opinion anyway. People should do what they feel is right, in their personal relationship with Jesus. There isn't a black and white answer to what musicians we are "allowed" to listen to or not.

19. Ok I see where you're coming from.

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. Even when I hear a lot of modern romantic songs, it often makes me thing of God and His love, because His love is the reason we have our love. All the good things in us point back to Him, so it all brings Him glory in the end. When we love our fellow humans, I think that gives Him almost as much joy as when we love Him.

jalls likes this.