1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Worth It To Become A Doctor?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by DaveyCrockett, May 19, 2019.

1. DaveyCrockett

DaveyCrockett Fapstronaut

Hello.

I am 20 years old. Male. I live in Texas. I am currently getting close to being finished with my Associate's of Science Degree in Life Science. Next month, I will be taking an EMT-B class to see if I like working with patients, basically seeing if I like working in the medical profession at the end of it all, really (or at least the idea of it).

My mother has been an RN for quite a while, and she loves her job. Both of my parents recommend that I pursue a career in the medical field, specifically something like a more specialized nurse, such as a nurse practitioner or flight nurse. Personally, I'm not sure what to think of either of these career options, they both seem okay, but not something that I am very interested in.

When I was about 8 years old, however, I became quite interested in being a doctor after something that happened to me personally. For many years, the idea of being a medical doctor has lingered at the back of my mind, yet I am not so sure if being a medical doctor is necessarily something I'd want to do with my life 100%. I am not sure why that is. For some reason, like every career option I've ever thought of, being an MD hasn't really grabbed my attention that much. Although, an MD has however been on my mind as a possible career option longer than any other career option.

My parents have enough money to reasonably pay for my university, as I have attended community college this entire time that I've been pursuing my Associate's Degree. However, the amount of debt from medical school in order to become a medical doctor is staggering.

My parents won't be able to help me pay for medical school at all, which is understandable. Although, I'm not so sure what my life would look like under 10-15 years (!!!) of medical school if I had so much debt. I mean, how do doctors such as cardiologists who have lots of debt pay off all that debt (besides their great salary)? Are there grants out there or certain hospitals out there who will pay for your student loans?

I'm very good at remembering things (at least now, while I am still young) and I always have been. I'm a straight-A student, too (Anatomy & Physiology-I was very easy for me last semester and I was always interested to learn). I'm quite physically active, as well. I've never taken drugs or been in trouble with the law or anything like that, either.

My question is: How would I know if I would want to become a medical doctor? Is becoming a doctor too competitive that I wouldn't even get accepted into/make it in medical school? And more than that, is it worth it to become a medical doctor anymore?

I have more details to write, of course, but they aren't totally necessary.

I'd appreciate any input from people who know doctors,work in the medical field or even are doctors (that'd be the best) regarding whether or not becoming a medical doctor is worth it anymore because of all the debt and time in school, as well as how I could know if it is the right career for me, granted it is a giant decision to take.

Thank you so much, I appreciate any input, advice or assistance.

2. Transcendent

Transcendent Fapstronaut

Hey man, I'm currently in 4th year of medical school and and I would like you to answer honestly the following questions: "Do you like to study?" and "Are you prepared to live a life based on your profession?"
    When I was in high school thinking about entering medical school I was asked these questions a few times but I never gave much importance. Over the last four years, what really impresses me is the intensity in which medicine is present in doctors' lives. It is a profession that accompanies you everywhere. Sometimes I miss a break, not having to live in the "world of medicine". This happens because I spend all day in college, when I get home I still need to study medicine; as most of my friends are also medical students our subject 90% of the time is medicine; not counting the relatives, acquaintances and my others friends who are always asking questions about medications, diseases, etc. In summary: I can't remember the last time I spent a full day without talking about medicine.
    The other question, about whether you like to study, is that before entering college I didn't know it would be so exhausting. I rarely leave the house or spend a whole day without studying, because the subjects are endless.
    No matter how much I study, there will always be a world of new things to read. Almost all my friends who study other areas have an active social life, and do not live under such pressure. It's literally a race against time.
    But after all, what motivates me in the end is the feeling of being useful in someone's life. This is priceless to me.

3. DaveyCrockett

Dear Transcendent,

Thank you so much for replying! I can't believe someone who's actually in med school would reply on the same day. Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate that you took the time to reply, Transcendent.

In regard to the question: "Do you like to study?", I suppose that depends on what I am studying. As I stated previously, when I was studying Anatomy and Physiology-I last semester, I very much enjoyed it, and I did very well in that class, too. I'm fascinated by the human body and how the human body functions, cliché as it may sound. Maybe it could get boring or tiresome after a while...maybe, that's me being realistic.

In regard to the separate question: "Are you prepared to live a life based on your profession?", that I don't have a problem with (at least in theory). You mention that you study A LOT (wow!). I think that would eventually exhaust me, yes. However, being a medical doctor means helping people who are sick. Therefore, like you wrote, the studying would make it worthwhile.

Just so I can get an idea, if it's not too much of a bother- what exactly do you study from and how do you study (highlighters, flash-cards, etc.) and when do you begin studying medicine essentially all of the time?

One last thing- I've also heard (several times from different people) that getting into medical school is the most difficult part in becoming a medical doctor. Is this true?

Thanks so much, Transcendent. I really appreciate your reply.

4. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Sadly, I don't think the medical industry is in the Business of Health or wellness.

5. DaveyCrockett

Origin32 likes this.
  6. Transcendent

Transcendent Fapstronaut

In my current semester the subjects are: surgery II - urology, proctology and general surgery; internal medicine II - nephrology, dermatology, hematology and infectology; pediatrics I and gynecology and obstetrics I. The best way to study for me is during practical activities, seeing patients with the disease and then studying at home is the best way to learn. But unfortunately this is not a reality 100% of the times, and sometimes I just read the book/articles or use flashcards (this varies a lot). At the end of the 2nd year was when I began to live to study.

Definitely not. Entering college (at least in my country) is very difficult, but the hardest part for me is the workload, the amount of content and the responsibility that we have.

Davey, if you think medicine is really what you like, run after your goal. Don't be afraid of difficulties because if you do what you like nothing can stop you. But if your biggest ambition is money or status, I do not recommend this area. I hope I have helped you in some way. If you have more questions please feel free to contact me. :emoji_grinning:

7. DaveyCrockett

Thank you for your reply, Transcendent. I appreciate your helpful, first-hand information.

I'm still not 100% sure if medicine is something that I want to pursue as a career. I've got a ride along for an air ambulance program upcoming in a few weeks, not to mention the EMT-B program, perhaps those will solidly determine whether or not medicine is really my passion or not in life, because everything else in my life I've looked into thus far doesn't really interest me that much for very long.

Likewise, I understand that I will have to make medicine my life if I do desire to become a doctor. I'm curious to find out if helping sick people is something that I would enjoy. Of course, if one man can do it, so can another man. I need to know if I have an actual desire to help the sick, though.

Thanks again for your input, Transcendent. I appreciate your help. I wish you the best in becoming a doctor in whatever your specialty may be.

Transcendent likes this.
  8. 10-29

10-29 Fapstronaut

I don’t have much respect for doctors sadly due to things I’ve been through (medicated from 5 to 15 for virtually no reason). But I am in the health field now in college for sports medicine, thinking about going into a doctor of physical therapy program. Which is 6 years all together and averages around 90k a year.

DaveyCrockett likes this.
  9. My mother is a doctor I'm a manager at our family medical clinic. My opinion is being a medical doctor is not worth the hassle. You can make good money as an RN and not have to deal with the responsibility and the paperwork and all the hoops that the government wants to put you through. Sadly with the invention of the electronic medical record doctors no longer can treat patients as real people. Doctors now have to spend all of their time inputting data and making sure it's up to the government standard. That is the state of healthcare in our country. Now if you want to go into a specialty like surgery that's different. You swoop in save somebody's life and fly out a hero all the while making tons of money. But a PCP or psychiatrist definitely on the low end hard work long hours.

DaveyCrockett likes this.
  10. jacobb1

jacobb1 Fapstronaut

I often say that if an idea stays with you for a long time, you should do it. Of course, if there isn't any other big passion or career you'd like to pursue. Doctors are paid very well, and it's an honorable job. I think every career in the medical field comes with a certain amount of proudness and, of course, responsibility. I have friends who work in this field, and like you, they struggled with debt at first. But I'm a strong believer that anything will align for you. The debt will be paid in time, no worries about that. I think it would be much more stressful and sad to do something that you don't like compared to debt. I also know doctors like https://www.prescriptiondoctor.com that help people online, and they say it was worth every penny.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    becomingreat likes this.
  11. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

Being in the medical maphia is always a good job. U get a lot of money for killing people, and everybody thinks you're a hero.
    So, yeah, it's worth it.

Break every Chain likes this.
  12. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Killing people lmao...

CarP likes this.
  13. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

Exactly. That's what they do.

Break every Chain likes this.
  14. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

CarP likes this.
  15. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

If u would have anything interesting to say, you wouldn't use meme, i guess.

16. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

Nope. I heard the pay went down.

17. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

The medical practice is dead. We are ruled by Scientism shamanism now thats passed off as science.

18. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

You call doctors criminals and now killers, a meme is just the appropiate response to such stupidity.

19. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

I dont want to be a doctor, they work alot

CarP likes this.
  20. arkad1

arkad1 Fapstronaut

you call it stupidity because you don't know what you're talking about. It's understandable.