1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is smartness an Innate characteristic?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BrSweat, Jul 6, 2021.

1. BrSweat

BrSweat Fapstronaut

Most men in my family have street smart skills, know when to use white lies, know when someone is bullshitting them and are good at figuring out stuff and talking to people. My maternal side isnt like that, my grandpa is the most humble man I have ever known, he is always ready to selflessly help anybody at anytime but people have taken advantage of him and ripped him off aka somewhat gullible. Same for my mother and so I have picked up their traits and I dont want to be like that.

Worst part is Im a tall guy with above average looks and a decent sex appeal, I notice people looking at me ofcourse on the outside though I act manly as hell but thats about it what kills me is that inside Im dumb as shit with terribly low self esteem and feel inferior to pretty much every male out there. My question is there anything I can do to overcome this and become smart or would I just be fooling myself by even trying to attempt to become someone I am not?

2. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

That depends on what you mean by “smart”. There’s knowledge, which is book smarts. There’s wisdom, which are things learned from experience and judgment. There’s intelligence, which is the ability to pick those things up and use them.

Can you learn everything about a subject? Sure. If you know how to read and write, then you have that potential. But some people learn quicker than others. Sometimes that’s simply because of how their minds are. Other times, it’s because they are more interested in that subject, and that interest helps downsize struggles they might have.

Everyone has weaknesses though. I’m physically and mentally blessed I’d like to say, but my emotional side is a complete mess and it always has been. That’s not to say weaknesses cannot be fixed, but sometimes it’ll take *heaps* more work than someone else or some other area.

BrSweat likes this.
  3. BrSweat

BrSweat Fapstronaut

Oh not book smart cuz thats just me learning and remembering something. I meant how do I become a guy that people can rely upon and not me depending on someone else. I stumble on the simplest things that have seemingly obvious answers, doubting my logical knowledge and second guessing myself. Im not a clever talker. I struggle to figure things out be it fixing something, solving an issue etc.

4. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

A lot of those come from experience and repetition. People who fix/solve issues learned how to fix them whether directly, through a similar bridging method, or through their knowledge on how something works/should work. It’s not like they had a random idea to fix something they don’t know about that from left field (This is true at least for most cases). Your best bet is to find something that interests you that could also be useful in a moment’s notice, and then gain experience that way.

5. thefuniindian

thefuniindian Fapstronaut

It’s like nature vs nurture. And nurture always has more influence. I’d say being a smartass isn’t an innate characteristic, but mostly it’s developed on how your environment is. If it’s a tough, competitive and harsh environment like the ghetto or shitty parents, then yeah you tend to develop into being a “smartass”/streets smart. If you don’t then chances are then you won’t become one. To answer your question simply(and this is my own viewpoint/opinion so take it with a grain of salt) it’s a yes and no. Mostly yes though in which yes you are kind of foolish to try to become “smart” by trying to develop these skills unless you live in a harsh environment where it’s necessary. And no I’m where your not foolish and you can develop it, but your probably are gonna force yourself into creating a separate personality and watch various lectures and videos on “street smartness” made by wolf of wall street type of people. You can have a mix of both where you learn to how to spot liars and say a white lie without getting caught, but you shouldn’t base/change your whole personality around it.