1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is something wrong with me?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. G0ReadAB00k

G0ReadAB00k Fapstronaut

Brothers in Christ,

I've been addicted to PMO for 16 years, but started fighting back about 8 months ago, and I'm struggling this morning because I just relapsed after 16 days PMO free. This latest streak was the longest I had gone in months, and the longest I have ever gone has only been 4 weeks.

I have returned to a relationship with the Lord over the last year, after "following Him from a distance" throughout the majority of my 20s (I'm 28), and I had a world-rocking experience since confessing my PMO addiction to my fiancé 8 months ago and also confessing to her that I was unfaithful to her while on travel for work a year before that. God has worked HUGE miracles both in my life and in our relationship since then, and it has truly confirmed my faith in Him.

My question is, is something wrong with me? I have heard testimonies of both friends and strangers that asked God to free them of the addiction/lust/desire to PMO, and they did just that. They stopped. Done. Not plagued by it any longer.

But that hasn't happened to me. Or at least I don't think it has. Even though my life has been so tangibly affected by God's presence since picking up this fight, I still have days when I feel so tempted. Several times it happened during that 16 day streak, but I either powered through on my own or texted my local accountability partner for prayer.

When will this just STOP? Like all of you, I don't want this addiction. I don't want PMO to follow me into marriage. I want freedom through Christ, and I want my testimony to say that one day the temptation just stopped, because thats the hope I was given by others. But I'm starting to lose that hope. I'm scared, I'm hurt, and I'm disgusted in myself all at the same time.

2. Do not give up hope. Sometimes there is miraculous deliverance from temptation, but in my experience God usually works slowly over time as he walks us toward freedom. He can deliver us immediately from the messes we get into, but he wants our hearts to change so we no longer desire sin and instead trust in him completely for fulfillment. Heart change takes time.

I was trapped in PMO for 30 years. It has taken me six years of hard work in recovery to find freedom from desiring that junk. Read my journal for details; it's all in there. But don't be discouraged -- after 16 years, this is going to take you more than an afternoon of intense prayer to overcome.

If I may be of service to you in accountability or any other way, please feel welcome to reach out any time.

OnlyWithJesus and G0ReadAB00k like this.
  3. G0ReadAB00k

G0ReadAB00k Fapstronaut

Thank you @Tao Jones, I really needed this specific encouragement and wisdom. I'm so thankful to learn of your victory too. If God can turn your life around after 30 years of PMO, He can turn mine around too!

Tao Jones likes this.
  4. WindWolf

WindWolf Fapstronaut

Yes, there is something wrong with you, as with everyone, it's called sin.
    Buuuuut, the great thing is that unlike unbelievers we are not slaves of sin anymore (although it might still feel like it), but have been freed by God.

You're probably saying at this point: yeah, I've heard it before but it's not working.

I know the feeling... God has made a miracle in my life regarding P, (now I barely even think about it), but left me to continue fighting M seemingly on my own...

My understanding is that He does want us to fight, to win, to grow stronger, in order to level up; if we can't resist this temptation, how could we possibly bear torture, humiliation or death for His name (as I hope never happens, but might)??

When we are dieting or fasting, the urge to eat is present and cravings are very strong, but unless we persevere, ignore the cravings to the best of our ability, and keep moving, we won't lose weight...
    I think it's a similar story with any addiction or craving, God might not take it away spontaneously, but He does give us the strength, and He does help us.

Honestly, how many times when about to sin have you been miraculously interrupted or had your consciousness shout at you?
    Personally many times.

My sins are my fault only, I wasn't helpless, I was lazy and stupid, and God gave me sooo many chances to back up and stop.
    Thank God I am forgiven.

G0ReadAB00k likes this.
  5. Brother dont give up because you are forgiven of your sins in Christ. Ive been fighting PMO for a year now and been addicted for 6 years. I know exactly how you feel brother but God has a plan for you that will make you prosperous! In this pain were going through, every temptation, God always makes bad situations into Good ones. In our pain God can teach us and become better people. I have many nights i feel like ill never be free from my sin but God reminds me of the cross and how Jesus took my sins and overcame death. This is easy to say but hard to do but have faith in him, surrender to Christ and you will be set free. You can overcome with him in anything especially when you have little faith, a little faith can move mountains in your life. God will never forsake you nor leave you. Also that is great youve confessed your sins, thats a step towards recovery with God. Always know God doesn't cause suffering but can turn it into something beautiful for you. God bless you brother and keep on going!

G0ReadAB00k likes this.