Is there an afterlife?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Would really like to know if there's an afterlife. However I don't want anyone to tell me "my faith/religion is true, so therefore there's an afterlife"... Religion is unfalsifiable and can't be proven right or wrong and don't tell me "just believe it on faith" or "put your trust in this prophet, book or historical figure because they have the answer". Faith means nothing, you only take something on faith when you have no evidence for it. I want to know if there's hardcore proof or evidence of an afterlife. Thanks. Let's keep this civilized, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. Little Bo Peep

Little Bo Peep Fapstronaut

There's no 100% proof of most things, especially something like that. Really what it comes down to is finding that out yourself after you die, because people could tell you many things but that doesn't mean they were right or true. Essentially you'll have to make that judgment call even though not knowing if something is true or not sucks.

Brokenman123 likes this.
  3. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I dont see how there can possibly be hard evidence for whether or not there is an afterlife. But there have been stories from people who have died for a brief amount of time and been resuscitated. I'm sure you can find some online.

4. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

I know that but I don't want to die to find out. I've been thinking about this a lot recently and it's scary. No one knows what's on the other side and that's scary. I don't like uncertainty.

Coffee Candy and Little Bo Peep like this.
  5. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

I know there was one book and movie called "Heaven is For Real" about a boy who says he went to Heaven and spoke to Jesus. He even said that he met his sister who "died in mommy's tummy," which the parents said they never told him about.

There are plenty of other stories like this. Whether or not they are true, however, is not able to be proven. There are some things you just have to have faith for. You're not going to have hard evidence for everything in life.

Praksh likes this.
  6. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Those are "near" death experiences not fully dead experiences. Near dead isn't the same thing as being completely 100% dead. No one has ever actually died and then come back from the dead. And plus, all those stories contradict each other and can't be trusted.

7. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Read the Bible and have faith. I have faith in God, and I'm not the least but scared of the afterlife. I know whatever He has in store for me will be amazing, so I dont need to know the details. I wonder about it sometimes, but you just have to have trust and faith.

8. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

When someone's heart stops, they are no longer alive. That happens all the time, and people can be resuscitated.

But if you're not going to listen to those stories, then what are you expecting anyone to tell you here? How would anyone possibly be able to give you any proof, outside of their own personal account which you choose not to listen to because they could be lying? Your question is an impossible one. Have faith.

9. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Well again there are stories from other people that contradict his story. And also I heard that either he or someone else who told a story about heaven was found out to be lying. I'm not sure.

10. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

As I said faith is faith for a reason and religion can't be proven right or wrong. I'm not saying you're wrong and I respect your beliefs but faith just isn't gonna cut it for me.

11. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

It was someone else. Some people lie, that doesnt mean everybody who has ever said that is lying. But as I said, obviously you cant know for sure if they are lying or not.

12. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

Well, then you aren't going to have peace. Because you will never have any kind of proof of an afterlife. Its impossible. Unless God decides to miraculously give you proof somehow, but I'm not sure you would believe it even if He did. You'd probably pass it off as a dream or something.

13. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

There's two types of death according to medical professionals: clinical death and biological death.
    Clinical death refers to when the victim “looks dead”—they are clinically dead (they are unconscious, are not breathing, and have no palpable pulse). The person is not formally or fully dead since they other parts of their body are still functioning and just about everyone who has a near death experience experiences clinical death which means that they are not fully dead.
    Biological death refers to a formal death of the body when death is caused by degeneration of tissues in the brain and other body parts. No one has ever been biologically dead when all their body parts including brain have absolutely ceased functioning and then come back from the dead.

14. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

As I said the kid might not be lying but you're asking me to disregard other near death experiences of people who saw deities from other religions, some who saw people but no God and some people who even saw nothing. If there was one afterlife everyone would see the same thing.

15. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

So how do you know if souls leave their bodies when they are "clinically dead" or "biologically dead"? Obviously you dont... so I dont understand why the distinction matters in this conversation.

I'm not asking you to disregard anything. You asked a question and I said you might want to look into some of those stories. Geez louise, I'm not making any demands of you or telling you to disregard anything. I'm attempting to answer your impossible question.

16. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

What makes you so certain that the afterlife, which is a metaphysical plane of existence and therefore hard to grasp and understand in physical terms, looks to everyone the same way? And again, as all those people saw the afterlife only for a short while, they could really only grasp random bits of it. With their mostly mortal methods of grasping the metaphysical.

Kimpossible9 and Castielle like this.
  17. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

You're right. I don't know if I would have believed it but if it feels real maybe I might but it would just be one story out of tons of other stories.

18. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

I don't know. I don't even know if the soul is a thing since I've seen scientific research that shows everything happens in the brain and not some non physical substance such as a soul. I made the distinction because all those near death experiences happen in a state of clinical death not biological death. And it is important because with clinical death people are still potentially alive and they're brain might still be functioning which means they could be hallucinating but when they're biologically dead they're dead for good.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  19. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Fair enough, you didn't demand anything of me but you asked me to have faith specifically in the Christian concept of the afterlife which, by logic alone, excludes all other afterlife accounts.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  20. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Really? That's possible but what about people who have had encounters with deities... If one faith/religion was right then only one deity would communicate with the dead person not multiple deities from differing religions.

Coffee Candy likes this.