1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any advice on staying away from politics

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Like each time I go to Google there always a news feed that gives me my attention and then I realized how much time I wasted is any advice you guys could give to minimize the time I spend on news.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor Distinguished Fapstronaut

I mean, IMO, you should follow politics and be politically informed, and vote every damn chance you get.

The news recently is just soooo negative and certain powerful people insist on making fucking everything political. It makes the minimal civic duty of staying informed exhausting.

So, I sympathize. The news and politics really suck right now. But, IMO, you can’t tune it out entirely. Otherwise, you cede the small amount of power that do have to people that already have too much.

You could try to limit the amount of time you spend on it. Maybe a tight five minutes every morning, or one article every day.

Candun, Axesteel and alphakadabro like this.
  3. alphakadabro

alphakadabro Fapstronaut

I like Caveat Emptor's idea of 5-minutes per day.

The answer to almost every question on this forum is to stay busy with offline activities as much as possible. Live in the real world so that you can earn a perspective on how little influence the internet ought to have over you.

Political theory is a good thing to study. Read actual philosophy books on politics instead. Read history books and so on. It will educate you and discipline your mind more than sound bites and headlines intended to attract clicks and emotive over-reactions.

4. Thank You for your advice king

5. Thank You for Your advice king

6. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Stay right away from politics. Most politicians are corrupt, or will become so when they get more power in my opinion.

Taylor25 and The Passenger like this.
  7. Yeah That's my plan

Taylor25 likes this.
  8. James Duncan Halpert

James Duncan Halpert Fapstronaut

Reduce your time and/or just use extensions on your browser to hide them, most of the news I read doesn't bother me but it sure is a waste of time though.

9. Get the cold turkey blocker, the toughest website blocker on the internet. You can’t escape the news/politics (I’m intentionally avoiding it because of how negative it is.) It’s everywhere in society just like social media. Reclaim your life and time.

https://getcoldturkey.com/

10. Don’t look it up. Don’t type it in Google or another search engine. Find a way to block it, if you can’t control it.

11. Stay away from the news. Bad news for your mental health. The news is negative, addictive, myopic, fear-based marketing, shallow, untrustworthy, thought conditioning, trivial, redundant, irrelevant, isn’t actionable, problem-obsessed, and a waste of time. Politics, on the other hand, can be an intellectual study experience. You learn about people’s opinions and have a say on how things should be run by voting. But if you don’t care about politics, then don’t bother. Enjoy your life.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  12. Practice and develop click discipline... Only open the things you want to/or need to. It will take some practice, but over time you will become better at filtering useless stuff.

Axesteel likes this.
  13. Give it 5 minutes a week and stay off social media. Most of the divisiveness, backbiting and contention is on social media. Although the MSM is trying to compete now.

You dont need politics. When you're interested in what's going on in your municipal office, do your due diligence and visit the official website for your town/region and quickly check the social media of local politicians when you deem necessary.

People are obsessed with politics and will tell you it's an absolute must to stay informed every day. That's a lie. If there is something important happening- you WILL hear about it, one way or another. I haven't any form of social media except YouTube and my work Instagram (which I do not use frequently, maybe once a week for a few minutes), and trust me, I find out about things. I was the first to know about the coronavirus pandemic amongst all my peers because I actually did my research and have been watching the WHO and the UN for a while. Secondly, I am also the first among my peers to know about new political candidates because the information that I search for is new. Assume that everything you see on social media is a week old. The MSM reports only what they're told to.
    In my country (Canada) we had a black woman run for conservative party leadership. I was the first amongst my black liberal family to find out about it and support her on the basis of her policy. Weeks later my family is telling me about this woman and saying she lost "because conservatives are racist."
    Meanwhile, because they're spoon fed their information by MSM and SM outlets who refused to give her any media coverage, they missed out on the chance to support this woman's campaign, and instead of blaming "those racist white conservatives" maybe they should take a minute to realize that the liberals that have the media on their payroll really don't care about black ppl until it suits their agenda.

I'm on a rant now. But anyway. It's not necessary to be "informed" (more like obsessed) with politics every day. Way back when they had weekly newspapers to catch up with all the important and things were fine. They still had great leaders. You dont need to indulge every day in politics.

Axesteel likes this.