1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is watching sport a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Bingles, May 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I started getting into football (or soccer for those outside of Europe) around two years ago. My dad is an avid Rangers supporter and I watch every game too. But I have no actual involvement in the game itself, the players are the ones on the pitch while I'm sitting on the sofa. Is watching sport a waste of time? Should I spend my time better on other things?

2. joshuar

joshuar Fapstronaut

I can relate to this. I also feel like I spend to much time watching sports and to be honest for the majority of the time I use it as an escape to not have to do what I should be doing. The sports that I currently watch to much of is baseball and basketball.

I feel like I've gotten in the habit of just coming home after work and waiting for sports to come on TV and just chill out. Most of the time I can rationalize it like "oh I've had a long work day so I deserve this" or "well their is nothing else going on so I might as well just watch sports".

Like I said tho the honest truth is most of the time it's just a way to not have to deal with my problems and just zone out.

While I don't think it's necessary to just stop watching sports all together, I have thought that a better option for myself is to give myself one night a week when I can just watch a game. I kind of think of it like giving myself a cheat meals once a week

3. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

That's how I feel too. The games are always on at the worst times when I need to be working but I don't want to miss one. With European football, fans are a lot more involved with the teams with ultras, tifos, fan ownership, etc which is what brought me into the sport. I want to feel as if I am actively involved rather than a mindless consumer. Sports teams are meant to be part of a community, not another dumb brand to fill the void in my life.

joshuar likes this.
  4. Diazepam

Diazepam Fapstronaut

Panem et circenses , google it .

I was obsessed with football , i even was in the ultras youth section but last year suddenly i stopped feeling the same when my team scored and lost interest in watching sport in general.

I prefer to be an active part of the game , and imo just wacthing it does not bring benefits for a person.

5. If you are enjoying watching the games and it's not hurting anyone then I don't see a reason to stop. I think people watch sports for entertainment and a few hours of time to not really think about anything in life. If it starts becoming an issue like you are watching the game and not working or going to school, then I think it might be time reevaluate. You may also find that the more you watch the sport, your desire to play it may increase leading you to join leagues and play games.

6. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

Started watching football as a way to become closer to my dad since we don't share much. Before that, I had barely even watched a game, more so focused on my other hobbies. Gradually I began to understand the rules and the fan culture then got into it. Bought the kits and found some YouTubers to gain a better view of the sport like COPA90 and Maqwell. Started following different clubs like Rangers, Celtic, Palermo, Luton, Blackpool, Liverpool, NYCFC, FC Tokyo, etc from various leagues. I found that I enjoyed learning about the trivia and history more than the actual sport itself. When I see the players on the pitch I realize I have no connection to them at all. It fulfills a primal urge of belonging without any growth or satisfaction. It's a distraction and nothing more. Most teams are corrupt and have billionaire owners that fund clubs with oil money. All the time I have spent watching sports could have been spent building up new skills.

thepathofpeace and Diazepam like this.
  7. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

That's the thing, there are people who revolve their whole life around sport. It seems like such a waste of time and opportunity. Football used to be recreational, working-class. All the players were humble and had no big wages like today. That's why it's called the beautiful game. Every team is a brand nowadays with £20 mil a week contracts when there are doctors and nurses out saving people. It's sickening.

Diazepam likes this.
  8. Start doing sports yourself in stead of passively watching others doing their sports....

9. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

Too late for me, i can barely do pushups nevermind play a sport

10. 16 years old?
    Saying it's too late???

11. Diazepam

Diazepam Fapstronaut

LOL . I wish i have 16 again so i would start in tennis academy or something similar

12. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

All the local leagues are too competitive, they only accept experienced players. And I haven't played football since primary school.

13. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I was thinking of ice hockey soon if I can buy the equipment for it.

14. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Nothing wrong with entertainment for it's own sake, so long as it is occasional. I'm not a sports guy myself, but it can be a good way to bond with other people (usually other men), and it's always a good thing to have friends.

I think that thinking of it as a 'reward' after a hard day's/week's work is a good thing. Downtime is good but it has to be 'earned'.

A lot of sport fans i know are gamblers too - best not to go there.

15. Only if you are not betting

16. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

Yeah it’s the same shit every season. I stopped watching because it’s a waste of time. To me, it is a form of socialization with others. If you are watching it yourself, it gets boring real quick. Maybe if I had friends that enjoy watching and discussing it together then I might get back into it. But watching by yourself is a waste of time…

ZAk1 likes this.
  17. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

I watch Rangers games with my dad sometimes and other clubs too neutrally as a hobby. But some people make it their whole lives and I never really understood that. My dad refuses to wear green because of Celtic.

18. Bingles

Bingles Fapstronaut

With smaller leagues, it's less predictable and less money-focused. Scottish football is fun albeit has been on a decline in recent years. An unpredictable league is the best league regardless of its size and play quality.