1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Its been almost 5 years....

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by whiteflag70, Feb 6, 2020.

1. whiteflag70

whiteflag70 Fapstronaut

i was reading this thread
    https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?threads/cant-get-her-out-of-my-head.262406/ and decide to see if there are wiser heads out there because i cant get her out of my head.

About 5 years ago, my gf (although we didnt sign, we treated each other as husband n wife) broke up with me after 13 years as i went bonkers with my personal issue which drove me to addictive and compulsive behaviour that led me down a dark path. For many years she was caring, supportive, accommodating, super easy going, non-demanding etc.

Someone said to the OP of the original post and i quote "Some characteristics is giving someone a god-like pedestal, glorifying someone and ignoring their flaws, depending on someone for good feelings.It could give you a start to changing this behavior if you think you need change."

I dont think im glorifying her or putting her on a pedestal. She was a genuine lovely person that suited my "if i was normal" attitude. What flaws of her can i look at when she was basically the most loving & genuine person in my life? If it wasnt for my psychological issues, i would have gladly spend the rest of my life with her.

I find it very difficult to even want to make a connection with other women (or even people now bcos of my general apathy, and i think im emotionally damaged). im 50 and im not sure i have the energy to start all over again or even if i want to. I feel so shitty thinking about her in the morning when i wake up or during the rest of the day when im working from home or at night when im chilling.

I love her and miss her so much even after 5 years. i hate myself constantly for what i became and how i treated her and the loss and loneliness i feel almost very day.

Its been almost 5 years, sure seems excessive to me but i cant get her out of my head. please help.

Booksandtrees and CH3RRY like this.
  2. Regret is such an awful emotion. It gnaws away at your well-being and keeps you from living in the present.

You cannot change the past. It's heartbreaking, but it's also liberating. You have to let go. And one way to do this is to act. You need to engage, have things you're working on (hobbies, projects, exercise, a course of study...), something to keep you from sitting alone in a vicious cycle of self-loathing and rehashing the past. Starting over again doesn't happen with a leap, it's with one small step, and then another... Someone who can feel as deeply as you do has a lot of worth, a lot to give to the world. Wishing you the strength to take those steps, man. Good luck.

CH3RRY likes this.
  3. whiteflag70

whiteflag70 Fapstronaut

"And one way to do this is to act"

Sure is tough showing my face, and trying to get the engine started. the few times ive gone out ive gotten comments like "why are you so serious" or "smile more". it's discouraging and it makes me want to isolate myself even more. The flatline and apathy i am feeling (after my relapse) sure isnt helping. If i cannot beat this pmo, then i dont think i can do much. Your reply, for what it's worth, gives me a small measure of comfort. I will take your good wishes and roll with it. Thank you for your kind words.

Marshall 5 likes this.
  4. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I am going the same way, it has been 2 years for me. I hope you manage to get over it somehow.

5. There was a period of time where I was in a similar situation. It took me about 5 years to fully start letting go because I loved her, and will always love her, so much.
    My father fell into this same mind state. Addiction began to run his life and he became a real ugly person to be around. When my mother finally left him he got completely stuck and spiraled In unacceptance. He never left that period of time, he was stuck in 1997 and still is all the way here in 2020. When I began seeing a similar thing happen to me started searching in myself to find answers because I didn’t want to end up like my father. My PMO addiction was ramping up big time as well as smoking weed and drinking all the time.
    I was too prideful to go see a professional therapist I can honestly admit so I began therapy through meditation, reading, and building friendships with people who I didn’t have to bond through addiction with.
    Here’s the truth that I came to.

The idea in our head, of who we are and what we have, is just a story.. Our lens on life is only our own and out of billions of people everyone has their own. When we become so wrapped up in who we were, what we had, how we did it, we stop living in the moments we have today. The opportunities in front of us, and we start immortalizing the past. We can’t forgive ourselves for what happened or how it happened and need to find a fault to make it fit our limited selfish view on it. Either with them, or with the world, or with us.

But that duality of the other and I is an illusion built off misunderstanding. It comes from an inability to see the bigger picture because we are so immersed in our view, in our own persona. The bigger picture here is that there may or may not have been an opportunity to be with this person for the rest of your life. But you have to see where you are right now. The fact that what happened to you needed to happen to you and it happened because of decisions you made. Those decisions set into effect a chain of events that steer your life path always in the course of growth and learning. Sometimes painful growth.. many times in ways we don’t want but often need.
    The person who can come to this acceptance and conclusion gives themselves an open door through which to take life and love back into themselves. And they grow.
    The one who refuses lives in a shadow of the past that never really was, but only in their mind. A fairy tale conjured up in their lens built in their own world of denial and inability or unwillingness to learn.
    My father was never able to accept his participation in the unfolding of events. It was always something or someone else’s fault and he spiraled into addiction to the point of losing contact with everyone he once loved or cared about.
    I’m sure she was and is a lovely woman and the way to honor both you and her in the best possibility is to grow from what you two had. Even if you wish it wasn’t, it is. And you have only two choices, grow or wilt from it. Become stronger and a better man or let this gift of love and heartbreak(yes a gift) become squandered and live in denial, guilt, and sadness. Take the experience to come into something so much more, despite any age. Maybe seek someone to talk to if you can. Whether you think it’s possible or not, you will be right.
    I wish you well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2020
    Booksandtrees and Marshall 5 like this.
  6. whiteflag70

whiteflag70 Fapstronaut

Namaclature14, that was a thoughtful reply, i am touched, thank you.

It is ironic that i am a volunteer in a emotional/suicide hotline and i deal with troubled people and i try to counsel them but i myself found it so difficult to forgive and move on. I have spoken to few people but I believe I have had trouble letting go as i couldn't forgive the person that i think caused my personal turmoil (It was always something or someone else’s fault, like you said). I took a help call on Sunday from a caller who had a most similar issues (like a younger version of me) and i could explain the situation to him, i think it helped him, and me a lot. Felt like my suffering had purpose, and i reminded him and myself, why we needed to forgive the other and ourselves as well.

Your reply paints the situation clearly, and is encouraging and mind opening. I have been stuck in my "immortal" past of what could have been and in my foolish stubbornness, refused to see certain things and preferred to wallow in my guilt and sadness. Reading what you wrote made it obvious. it will be a sad life for me if i continue on this road. There may be a day or two when i cry for what i have lost but I will take the option to grow, be a better Man and not squander the lessons.

p/s - sorry about your dad, must have been painful.

NamaClature14 and Booksandtrees like this.
  7. dude you fucked her for 13 years, dont be greedy. someone else needed her more