1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I've got it the wrong way around!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Dec 10, 2017.

1. This is a habit I'm trying to kick. I am constantly comparing myself to others. I can't go to the gym without thinking about how inferior in strength and size I am to the other guys. I can't study without thinking about how well my peers are doing with their studies, comparing myself to them constantly. However, when it comes to my social life, I'm more focused on what people say about me rather than how others are feeling.

I'm so self-focused, and this needs to change. At the gym, and during my studies, I should be focusing on myself, not others. When going out or talking to friends, I should be focusing on others, not myself. Hopefully, with the positive changes I make to my life, I can reprogram my mindset and become more empathetic while taking care of myself.

My question is, does anyone have any tips on how I can kick-start this mindset? Does anyone have experience being this way, and if so, how did they pull themselves out of it?

Deleted Account and Oskis like this.
  2. Oskis

Oskis Fapstronaut

I have no other advice than to:
    • Think about it every now and then. (What you're supposed to do)
    • Give compliments
    • Focus on the progress you make instead of comparing yourself to others.
    • Accept that you cannot change overnight
    I don't have much experience when it comes to this, I only know what works for me, but you could always give this a try!:)

3. John Jerome

John Jerome New Fapstronaut

Well, you've got a complex issue with several parts to attack bit by bit, but for one, I'll take a guess that you're projecting your feelings on others. You're seeing your shortcomings in others at the gym. Yeah, I do it too. But, you can't merely force yourself to focus on others, especially if you project your faults on others. One thing to try is to engage your listening abilities. When someone tells you something, repeat it back to them using other words. This will help the connection. Also, try to find out what their story is and imagine yourself in their stories. Doing this can take a lot of energy and if you're exhausted from work or whatever, realize listening will be harder. Meditation may help too. Meditation is simply taking the time to listen to your own thoughts and body.

4. Don't compare. Simply because you don't know their whole story. You're just looking at one aspect.

Someone who looks awesome at the gym, might be a failure in something else. But when you look at that person in the gym, you automatically assume that person is some kind of champion at everything.

5. Solid advice. When I see others, I need to realise that they have faults just as I do, and they have other things in life they aren't as good as me at doing.

6. Boanerges

Boanerges Fapstronaut

In addition to what others have said: be thankful! Try to spend some time every day thinking about something that you're grateful for, however large or small. This really helps put things in a broad perspective so that you don't get focused on comparing with others.

While it's perfectly fine to try and learn from others, think about what comparing yourself to them will accomplish for you. For me it doesn't lead to anything productive, and I'd imagine the same for you as well. What would you gain by hypothetically becoming "better" than that person? Maybe a short term sense of pride, but in the long run nothing substantial.