1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

James Allen Daily

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by 虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず, Dec 23, 2016.

1. You would do well to see beyond appearances if you continue reading.

[​IMG]

Easy does it now. The throttle has been set, everything at the right time. No rush here.

[​IMG]

ZenPhysics likes this.
  2. Disclaimer: Please Read The Prior Portents On The Previous Page If Ye Are A New Reader Starting On This Page

If one would find peace, he must come out of passion.

January Third.
    SO long as animal conditions taste sweet to a man, he cannot aspire: he is so far satisfied; but when their sweetness turns to bitterness, then in his sorrow he thinks of nobler things. When he is deprived of earthly joy, he aspires to the joy which is heavenly. It is when impurity turns to suffering that purity is sought. Truly aspiration rises, phoenix-like, from the dead ashes of repentance, but on its powerful pinions man can reach the heaven of heavens.

The man of aspiration has entered the way which leads to peace; and surely he will reach that end if he stays not nor turns back. If he constantly renews his mind with glimpses of the heavenly vision, he will reach the heavenly state.

That which can be conceived can be achieved.

Third Morning
    To follow, under all circumstances, the
    highest promptings within you; to be
    always true to the divine self; to rely upon
    the inward Voice, the inward Light, and to
    pursue your purpose with a fearless and
    restful heart, believing that the future will
    yield unto you the need of every thought
    and effort; knowing that the laws of the
    universe can never fail, and that your own
    will come back to you with mathematical
    exactitude-this is faith and the living of
    faith.

Third Evening
    Have a thorough understanding of your
    work, and let it be your own; and as you
    proceed, ever following the inward Guide,
    the infallible Voice, you will pass on from
    victory to victory, and will rise step by step
    to higher resting-places, and your ever-
    broadening outlook will gradually reveal
    to you the essential beauty and purpose
    of life. Self-purified, health will be yours;
    self-governed, power will be yours, and all
    that you do will prosper.

And I may stand where health, success,
    and power
    Await my coming, if, each fleeting hour,
    I cling to love and patience; and abide
    With stainlessness; and never step aside
    From high integrity; so shall I see
    At last the land of immortality.

3. [​IMG]

Infinitude. A concept that will be covered here over and over again.

[​IMG]

The ancient ways are dying. Ego and greed are running rampant in society.

[​IMG]

This disease is highly contagious. Certain diseases of the mind/heart are much more subtle than physical ones.

[​IMG]

First Steps in the Higher Life
    Seeing that the path of virtue is the Path of Knowledge, and that before the all-embracing Principles of Truth can be comprehended, perfection in the more lowly steps must be acquired, how, then, shall a disciple of Truth begin?

How shall one who aspires to the righting of his mind and the purification of his heart—that heart which is the fountain and repository of all the issues of life—learn the lessons of Virtue? How does he thus build himself up in the strength of knowledge, destroying ignorance and the ills of life? What are the first lessons, the first steps? How are they learned? How are they practiced? How are they mastered and understood?

The first lessons consist in overcoming those wrong mental conditions which are most easily eradicated, and which are the common barriers to spiritual progress, as well as in practicing the simple domestic and social virtues. The reader will be better aided if I group and classify the first ten steps in three lessons as follows:

Vices of the Body to be Overcome and Eradicated

First Lesson: Discipline of the Body
    (TO BE ERADICATED)
    1st step: Idleness, Laziness or Indolence
    2nd step: Self-Indulgence or Gluttony

Second Lesson: Discipline of Speech
    (TO BE ERADICATED)
    3rd step: Slander
    4th step: Gossip and Idle Conversation
    5th step: Abusive and Unkind Speech
    6th step: Frivolity or Irreverent Speech
    7th step: Critical, Captious or Fault-finding Speech

Third Lesson: Discipline of Tendencies
    (TO BE PRACTICED)
    8th step: Unselfish Performance of Duty
    9th step: Unswerving Rectitude or Moral Integrity
    10th step: Unlimited Forgiveness

The two vices of the body, and the five of the tongue, are so called because they are manifested in the body and tongue. Also, by so definitely classifying them, the mind of the reader will be better helped. But it must be clearly understood that these vices arise primarily in the mind, and are wrong conditions of the heart worked out in the body and the tongue.

The existence of such chaotic conditions is an indication that the mind is altogether unenlightened as to the real meaning and purpose of life, and their eradication is the beginning of a virtuous, steadfast, and enlightened life...cont'd at above link.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. I should have slapped a big fat old warning on this that read something like FOR TRUTH SEEKERS ONLY heheh.

James Allen was no ordinary worldling. He was not a mere man in his later years that's for sure. You could say he pierced the veil, anyways the matter of this post is to say he lived as close to the way monks live as a householder possibly could. One does not need to live this austere to practice these types of teachings, and it is important to go at your own pace and don't bite off more than you think you can chew.

He made a comment about forgoing supper in the above excerpt because that meal is altogether unnecessary to sustain the body for one seeking the Way. While this is more than true for monks (many Buddhist monks only take 1 meal a day, before noon) someone living the home life may not find this realistic or even conducive to their lifestyle. I certainly view dinner as one of the most important meals of the day for myself, and even eat a small meal after dinner sometimes as I'm big into fitness and do it solely for nutrition's sake. One can certainly enjoy good food (I'm about to relish in a savory tofu dish right now I just whipped up) without crossing the line into gluttony.

James was no mere mortal let us remember that if you choose to read him.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. Sometimes the truth hurts.

[​IMG]

Ignorance is bliss as the saying goes.

I sure am not someone who accepts dogmas to be followed blindly. Teachings that aren't to be investigated first hand and experienced in the here and now simply don't sound like practical teachings to me.

[​IMG]

It's funny how fast one's mind can deteriorate back to a state of ignorance if one remains in a cycle of PMO. PMO brings about a certain kind of spiritual/mental darkness. Developing one's mind is nothing like developing one's body. Growing a stronger physique is simple and could be compared to the efforts a preschooler makes in their classes. Growing one's mind requires effort beyond what any intellectual can ever exert in their studies. Spiritual growth is essentially a growth of one's mind/heart, for the heart is none other than one's innermost mental state.

I need to step away from the forum and gather some thoughts.

I'm just a traveller here. Passing through this forum while connecting with peers striving to be free of fapping. Peace to all regardless of your purpose here.

See you soon.

Random ponderings finished.

6. [​IMG]

Thoughts collected. Surprising what daily meditation can do for you, if you don't miss a session or slack off. I am recuperating better than expected. My practice is resolidifying with diligent efforts given each time I sit.

Something different here.

[​IMG]

James Allen's writings can sometimes be overwhelming for someone not adamant about seeking the loftiest Truth.

When the time is right, I will return to his material and not censor any of the daily entries until my time on this forum ceases and I set forth on my journey elsewhere....

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

SKETCHES IN STILLNESS DAILY

[​IMG]

This thread is morphing :p for the time being.

[​IMG]

Mightily morphing

[​IMG]

into a contemplative picture quest.

[​IMG]

Mindful doodles.

[​IMG]

Doodles of all kinds. Oodles of d:D:)dles!!

8. Strive.

Harness your inner drive. Unleash and unlock your best self.

You cannot give up desire until it happens naturally.

So strive to be the person you want to be. Become your best self. Help others while doing so, it will help you in return.

Chase your hopes and dreams, REALIZE THEM DON'T JUST WISH!

I said I wouldn't post about anymore pseudo gurus but I must share these pictures out of a Ram Dass text to express my point better, and Ram Dass is truly loved among his followers I'm not bad mouthing him it's just he is not at any notable level of true attainment spiritually even if he spreads love and light to many people which is good, I'm really not trying to bad mouth him by using the term 'pseudo guru', I just gotta tell it how it really is,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I am not here to chat but feel free to post in here if you want to discuss anything.

I'm here as something drew me here, something pulled me to begin this thread, so I thought why not?

I hope to make great progress with recovering from this heinous vice, but of course also life progress, as I hope anyone reading this also makes great progress in recovery and life. I mustn't stay here too long, but I am committed to some weeks and months of posting regularly. I do enjoy utilizing the NoFap forum. It's a great way to forge a solid foundation in recovery and support one another.

I suppose I already have the end in sight for myself. The end as in where I will continue my progress in life and whom I will surround myself with once I leave here.

[​IMG]

10. FUCK NORMAL. FUCK WEIRD. DUALITY is what causes our suffering. Just be you. Stay true to yourself and others. Be kind. Be mindful.

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guan Yin (Avalokitesvara) is the Bodhisattva of Compassion. You can invoke her blessings by chanting the mantra: NAMO GUAN SHIH YIN PUSA. May all benefit!
    33 MANIFESTATIONS OF GUAN YIN
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  12. [​IMG]

I feel this picture quest will be useful before returning to daily James Allen passages. Everything within this thread is connected.

13. My inner child was just whimpering to be in a relationship.

Whimpering to cuddle and be close to someone, preferably a vegan, even a vegan Buddhist if that is even possible to meet someone near me like that.

[​IMG]

Revolting at being alone.

Sage I am not. How freeing it must be to want for nothing? An unfathomable state.

[​IMG]

This picture quest is the best medicine I can take for these ailments of loneliness.

It is useless to complain about being alone. Firstly, one is never alone. They are with themselves. That is being with someone,

Secondly, complaining is not attractive. Also, what you think about you attract to you actually. So dwelling on how lonely you are regardless of how upset you are about it and how much you don't want to be alone, this will only make you feel more alone :(

Start loving yourself and stop mutilating your mind, spirit, and body with fapping. Stop making lust to yourself with masturbation, that is the opposite of self-compassion. When you feel lonely, treat yourself like a nice person treats a wounded deer cub. Drink warm organic tea. Any kind of tea. Take refuge in the cup of tea.

Gently, lovingly. Brighter skies will come if you stop fapping entirely, forever. Of course continuous effort will be needed to make this happen. But stop indulging in negative moods and staying stuck on feeling lonely. Drink a warm cup of nice tea and watch something cheerful or educational.

You've been warned.

14. AHHHHH, what could be better than sipping a steaming cup of heavenly tea?

[​IMG]

Lance McGowan (@essentialoilsme) - Instagram

HUFFING ESSENTIAL OILS WHILE DOING SO YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Did you know that the aromas of pure essential oils have very real, very tangible effects on your limbic system which will alter your emotional state for the better :)? Hey it's better than taking a shot of bourbon or heroin to feel better...

Hey, about those post to like counts here under usernames, I don't think that is conducive to a forum of this nature. But hey, alot of forums have such ratios.................................

[​IMG]

15. Self Improvement Update:

Don't touch essential oils to your nostrils while inhaling them, it sets the tip of your nose on fire!!!!

16. [​IMG]

Can you even let go, for just a moment? Probably not unless you've been meditating for some time and even then it's no easy thing to do for just a short amount of time not to speak of stepping into the infinite through a lasting realization i.e. enlightenment.

The monkey mind causes alot of trouble for us. I would say many people lose their progress due to it.

What does your monkey mind look like? (Bad joke sorry)

A spider monkey?

A howler?

A chimp?

Orangutan?

A baboon's ass?

[​IMG]

Mine looks like this I would say, it may not chatter ALL the time but when it does trying to resist its impulses feels like a HERCULEAN EFFORT if you can relate LOL:

[​IMG]

James Allen was a strict vegetarian btw so if you're wondering about random vegan comments...well ya I'm a vegan and no I wouldn't be able to live to my potential if I didn't eat plant-based.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  17. [​IMG]

I hope you set aside some time each day to meditate and set all your worries aside. Time to polish your mind and let go of all your wandering thoughts and attachments, a time to meditate and lessen the amount of clouds in your mind naturally through whatever form of meditation practice you may engage in :)

Bask in timelessness?!?! What the fuck does that even mean?? Eckhart has something to say in the video below.

[​IMG]

Eckhart Tolle is like an average guy who is able to reiterate ancient teachings to a modern world in a simple way that appeals to many people. Delving into some foreign teaching that might scare or leave them uninterested otherwise may be the less appealing option for some? He is no accomplished sage that's for sure but surely is a good spiritual teacher who can offer knowledge, but not wisdom gained through direct knowing.

Don't like what you see here? No one is making you click this thread lol.
    [​IMG]

18. Trouble arises when we get stuck in the clouds, or worse, mistake the clouds for ourselves.

[​IMG]

Is there something uninteresting about letting of everything? Perhaps to the mundane mind that sounds like the most boring thing in the world. Death to the self. OH NO! BUT WHAT ABOUT PLEASURE! WHAT ABOUT EXCITEMENT!!!!!!

"Bliss
    The bliss of still extinction – the principle of emptiness – is tens of millions of times more intense than the bliss derived from external physical gratification. If you want that experience, though, you must first stop your involvement with external sensory experiences. Otherwise, the True Emptiness within you cannot manifest. (Sur.roll 9)"

Death to the self is not the same death that someone who clings to the self will have to undergo at the end of life. Death to the self is the gateway to the deathless actually. Too much for this forum? Probably. It's never a bad thing to explore just for the sake of knowledge if nothing else.

Even the Stoics realized passion was not necessarily a noble thing.

Good video but DAMN that's one strong accent not even sure what kind of accent it is hahahah, I'm reading this text right now definitely recommended:

But hey, passion isn't all bad. It's only truly bad if it hurts yourself or others. Sometimes passion can lead to other things that cause hurt. If you can't let go of passion, best to harness it and do awesome things that make your life better, and don't hurt or better yet help others around you. Obviously.

[​IMG]

19. Copied from an email by a modern day Stoic, Brian Johnson:

You meditating yet? (Here’s a test to see if it’s right for you.)
    [​IMG]
    “I think it’s important for everybody to learn to meditate. Anybody who wants to be healthy — which means everybody — needs to meditate. Anybody who wants a calm mind and a loving heart — which again means everybody — needs to meditate.”
    [​IMG]
    Eknath Easwaran
    from Take Your Time

Q: Should you meditate?

Well, let’s take a quick little survey to see if meditation is for you:

Do you want to be healthy? Do you want to have a calm mind and a loving heart?

Sweet.

Then YOU NEED TO MEDITATE.

(And, if you didn’t answer yes to that survey then I don’t know what to say. :))

So, ARE YOU MEDITATING?

We explore how to kick off and/or optimize your meditation practice in MEDITATION 101. Check that out. (Along with our Notes on Conquest of Mind + the others in that collection!)

For now, remember: “That is why I tell everyone to make meditation their first priority. No time could be better spent.”

And: “I learned to meditate in the midst of an extremely busy life at a large university in India, where I had many cultural interests and responsibilities from early morning to late at night. That is why, when somebody comes up after one of my talks to say, ‘I would like to learn to meditate, but I don’t have time,’ I don’t take it too seriously. I know from personal experience that everyone can find half an hour a day, especially for something so rewarding.”

Plus: “I have great sympathy with people who find it hard to meditate. It is hard. In the Indian scriptures, taming the restless mind is compared with trying to tame the wind. Nevertheless, I know nothing on earth that can remotely compare with the benefit that even a little practice of this powerful discipline brings.”

Remember: “Even if your brain wanders thirty times in thirty minutes of meditation, if you keep bringing it back to the passage, you have done wonderfully.” <— We call that “Brushing the brain” in our class. You don’t judge your tooth brushing. You just brush. Same with your meditation.

There ya go. Let’s meditate!