1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Job Insecurity

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Glass & Beanies, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Glass & Beanies

Glass & Beanies Fapstronaut

Hey guys, asking for some simple advice or assurance with my new job situation.

My partner and I recently moved to a town with a small population (came from a city of 1.4 million to a town with 20-30 thousand) and of course, I got myself a new job. Im trying to move into a formal apprenticeship within the glazing trade.

Ive been there for about a month now, only 2 more months left before I finish probation. But of course, nothing good comes without a challenge; my boss is kind of an asshole.

I know most bosses are dicks to a certain extent, but my current boss is super pessimistic and negative. I get chewed out for the smallest things, things that I wouldnt even consider real problems, or unfixable problems anyways.

I dont want to quit my job - my partner and I really need the income, especially with how the economy is right now. Im lucky to even have a job, and I really, really do like my job. Its just that my boss is an asshole. Ive thought about quitting once or twice already, but where would I go afterwards? Its not easy to get a job in my trade around here. He told me that he would definately let me know if he was honestly thinking about firing me, but with how he acts everyday, I dont feel secure at all. It really stresses me out, and I know that I tend to “bring work home”, if you know what I mean. It stresses the whole household out. Not to mention, it really puts a dent in morale to look for quick pick me ups like PMO.

Does anyone have any insight? Has anyone gone through this before? Let me know! Trying to stay optimistic.

Thanks guys! Cheers!

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. I am young (and maybe somewhat dumb too)... You cannot really control the behavior of other people, all you can do is accept that you are doing a good job, and the other guy is never going to give you the recognition for it anyway. So don't attach any value to their words in any direction.

Also maybe, if you keep being stoic in this situation, they will stop doing this as they will see the futility in trying to get into your head. Even if it didn't work, you wouldn't be losing much mental peace anyway. Plus not many people stand such behavior so I doubt that they will get rid of you readily cuz if you stick around, you would be a better option for them and they won't have much permanent options to replace you.

Also keep an eye out for other opportunities and take them when possible to get out of this toxic environment.

3. Talk to your boss, there really is no point working in an environment that you don't feel comfortable in. If it doesn't work then there is always another option.

Glass & Beanies likes this.
  4. HEY MAN, DONT WORRY. TRY TO BE LIKE RUSSELL CROWE FROM GLADIATOR. DONT GIVE UP NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU LOSE. WATCH THIS VIDEO, THIS WILL MAKE THINGS CLEARER FOR YOU:

5. Glass & Beanies

Youre right, staying valuable is my best option for security. Even if my boss never bends, if I can keep my head down and get the job done, hopefully he will leave me alone. I want to avoid fighting fire with fire, though. Tension will just make the situation worse I think, and its always better to quit than get fired in my opinion.

Deleted Account and EdricKr like this.
  6. Glass & Beanies

Im sure hoping there are other options if it comes down to it. If thats the case, I would at least like to stay around long enough that I can get some skills to move to another workplace, maybe without the bitter atmosphere.

7. EdricKr

EdricKr Distinguished Fapstronaut

Hey G&B, I really enjoy your writing. There's something so infectiously... optimistic about it. You should consider starting a journal thread! ;)

Glass & Beanies likes this.
  8. Glass & Beanies

Good idea, I thought about doing it, but maybe its time to get off my ass and do it! Cheers man!

EdricKr likes this.