1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Learn as if you are going to teach.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Mark, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

When we have decided to learn something new its always a good idea to learn it AS IF you are going to be teaching it because that way we are much more thorough and receptive and are much more likely to help others by passing on what we have learned later on as we had already set the 'intention' to do so earlier.

So if your new here (or not) its worth considering learning as much as you can about the process of change etc and fully imagine that you are going to be asked to 'teach' everything you have learned to others later so that by being helped yourself you are also learning to help others which you are far more likely to do having taken so much more on board as a result of this approach.

And bear in mind what Zen teacher Shunryu Suzuki said years ago, "sometimes I am the teacher and you are the student. And sometimes you are the teacher and I am the student." which creates an ongoing 'spirit' of mutually beneficial sharing and cooperation.

In zen and some martial arts they also speak of 'beginners mind' and (for example) a black belt, no matter how experienced they are, must always wear his white belt (beginners) in his mind to remind them to stay receptive, present, open, and to keep learning even when 'teaching'?

Just thoughts :eek:

2. Corcoran978

Corcoran978 Fapstronaut

EIGHTY DAYS!! You are rockin' this Nofap! Congrats on reaching this mile stone, ever so near the official 90! You are a great teacher and an inspiration. I hope to hear about what you have reaped from nofap well after your 90. Cheers

gn

3. Mark

Mark Distinguished Fapstronaut

Cheers but I hope I'm a better 'student'!;) All the best to you mate, 35 days is pretty cool, keep going! :)

4. Soul Cage

Soul Cage Fapstronaut

That's some great advice, not just for abstinence but for life in general, thank you. I've always found that it is so good for your own understanding to have to explain something to somebody else, that is is to vocalise it. It kind of sorts your own head out at the same time.