1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk Supplements

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Rev2.0, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

Hey everyone, just wondering who all here is using dietary and/or herbal supplements, and which one(s) have been most helpful for you. Here's my current rundown:

- Maca powder 1-2x daily, 2 tsps per dose, for hormone balancing & energy
    - Creatine powder 2x daily, 2 tsps per dose, for muscle strength and recovery (I do 3 to 4, 60-minute intensive full body weight sessions a week, focusing on compound exercises with moderate to heavy weights)
    - Tongkat Ali powder 2x daily, a very small amount (1 scoop that came with it), for libido and erection frequency and quality; words can't express how vile this stuff tastes but it works
    - Boron, 2-3 capsules a day, for hormone balancing/ T optimization
    - Selenium, 1 tablet a day for general sexual health and functioning
    - Vitamin D, 1-2 a day
    - Vitamin B complex, 1 a day
    - Ashwagandha, 2 capsules a day for mental focus and calm
    - Magnesium, 1 capsule a day before bed to help sleep
    - Zinc. 1-2 tablets a day for general sexual health

And just tonight I am starting on powdered BCAAs in hopes of increasing muscle mass to fat ratio in conjunction with my weight regimen. I am the classic ectomorph "hard gainer" so I need all the help I can get making my weight work pay off.

I consider the maca, creatine, tongkat ali, and ashwagandha to be the ones that most effectively and consistently fulfill what they claim to do. I.e., if I had to cut back those 4 would be the last to go. They are also quite cost effective and easily obtained on Amazon. The effectiveness of the BCAAs are TBD.

None of the above, separately or combined, have given me the body of a Greek god or an 8-inch D but I do notice the difference when not using them.

Some others I've tried that came highly recommended but did nothing for me at all are:

- Saw Palmetto; no increase in D size or erection frequency or quality
    - Pygeum; no increase in D size or erection frequency or quality
    - Horny Goat Weed; no increase in libido, D size or erection frequency or quality; this one was a real disappointment given all the hype
    - Odorless garlic; not even sure what this was supposed to do but it didn't effect me in any way
    - ZMA; basically just magnesium and zinc combined at a much higher price than buying them separately

Tribulus was moderately effective. Taking it before my workout seemed to give a nice boost. I'm currently off that but may go back at some point. Same with L-Citrulline, which seemed to help my D and made my body a bit more vascular.

Interested to exchange notes with others on this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. I've dabbled in supplements.
    Buddy let me tell you to save your money. Creatine especially is useless. Unless you're a vegan or vegetarian I guarantee you have enough in your system. I took bcaa.. I noticed you have not more energy to work out but more endurance. Tough to truly describe the difference. Then I started blending Raw vegetables and drinking with + coffee before a work out.
    Same effect
    The only supplements that have any actually effect are the illegal ones.
    Save your money and get everything you need from proper nutrition.

For energy though green tea with ginseng is good.
    Maca powder interests me.

What gives me the most vitality is my breakfast is a shake made with
    Kale (or any leafy green)
    Real coconut milk
    Water
    Lime/lemon/orange etc
    And a raw egg blended into it

Cholesterol is your friend when it comes to testosterone have a minimum of 3 eggs a day. And that's a minimum. 6 is fine if you're excersizing.

Avoid pasta and bread (even rye) these Industrial foods are terrible. Get carbs from rice, potatoes, fruit and vegetables.
    Meat should be avoided too. It slows your body down. I don't eat meat throughout the day. I have eggs beans lentils etc. Small amounts of dairy.
    After work I will eat chicken fish meat etc.
    I'm the skinniest bitch you'll ever meet and by switching to this diet I've put on more muscle in my life than ever before.

Kawabdivine and BigDaawg like this.
  3. Be bit careful with Zinc and Magnesium, research this a bit.

In general I suggest you take breaks from each supplement as consumption causes adaptation.
    If you have Vitamin D deficiency then supplementation is good idea because it prevents your body from adapting to low vitamin d levels.
    If you have normal levels of specific vitamin or other substance then, you force your body to adapt to that heightened level.
    So you should take breaks from supplements to reduce these.

Taking supplements that help with focus will inevitably lead to poor focus without supplements, because you will adapt.
    This happens often with caffeine, when people initially drink coffee they feel a boost, but as they keep consuming coffee develop adaptation by having lower general activity in affected parts of the brain.
    Stimulating effects of coffee then bring this activity in to normal range instead of giving it a boost.
    Verity of habits then form around coffee, higher dosage or unconscious change to other beverage that may not contain coffee every few days.
    Effects are also not well defined, you may feel more focus after drinking coffee but for shorter time.
    Generally when people stop consuming coffee they face decline in cognitive performance that may last some time, until adaptation is made and normal activity levels return to affects parts of the brain.
    Best suggestion I can give is - make sure to have variation in what you do, adaptation happens rapidly if you take "supplement" same time every day

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Supplements of any kind to take or not is highly debatable like vitamin D a must have supplement doesn't go good without k2 it can get accumulated in ur arteries giving u a stroke. But u can expect to get nutrition from food to grow vegetables on a nutrionless ground all u need is 3 elements potassium,nitrogen and phosphate and most vegetable will grow good having no minerals and vits. It would have been safest to have ur food from village or area which has good natural fertility but thats not possible at today's world. Still having supplements or not depends on a person if it's me I will say don't take any supplment if u are not deficient in and even if u are deficient choose the best quality and have a general idea how it's going to affect your body.

Submariner likes this.
  5. AlphaWolf1776

AlphaWolf1776 Fapstronaut

Look into the most bio-available forms for some of the micro-nutrients you just mentioned (Selenium, Vitamin B, Magnesium, Zinc, etc.).

I am not too knowledgeable on herbs. I know that for certain people, only Methylated B vitamins will have any positive effect if you are deficient.

Also, I have used many forms of Zinc throughout the years and only Picolinate, L-Methionine and Glycinate seemed to have any effect when I was deficient.

6. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Currently taking a Vegan multivitamin (I am veggie not vegan, but helps me get things like B12, Iron, etc) and a vitamin D (in the form of an oral spray, very refreshing and enjoyable to take and helps with my energy levels. Here in the UK we can have months without decent sunshine, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is rife, even 'healthy' people are down in the dumps during the winter time. 'Daylight' bulbs and light boxes can help, but getting the proper supplements is important too.)

In the recent past I have taken Milk Thistle to help with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. No idea if it helped or not. It can increase estrogen too so buyer beware!

7. Kawabdivine

Kawabdivine Fapstronaut

Im going to try this shake today with some bananas and ginger

8. AlphaWolf1776

AlphaWolf1776 Fapstronaut

That shake sounds like a winner :)