1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Listen to music

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Invictvs, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Invictvs

Invictvs Fapstronaut

Something that really helped me through my last super long streak was 'classical' music. Classical is kind of a misnomer, because that itself is one era in music history.

There are some things about this form of music that set it apart from pop music, and I think it's those things that can help a PMO addict recover. The major one is that you don't listen to a symphony or concerto the same way as you do a pop song. You have to actively listen....hanging on each note...paying attention to themes and the interplay between different musical ideas. You have to listen for the build up of tension, and its release. Above all, if you want to listen to it you have to learn more about it. You have to learn what a symphony actually is...or a concerto...or a suite. The more you know the more you begin to appreciate and enjoy it.

My favorite composer is Beethoven. If I managed to spark some interest here I would recommend reading about Beethoven, reading about what a symphony is...what musical forms are...and then listening to some of his symphonies. Put in a pair of headphones, and just let yourself relax into your couch while you listen. Like a movie, not every part is suppose to be exciting....and listening to a symphony can be more akin to watching a movie or play. I'd start with his odd numbered symphonies. Listen to the third, fifth, seventh. And the more you listen, the more you begin to appreciate how ingenious was and how much emotion is contained in what he wrote.

Branch out from there. Learn the difference between Classical and Romantic era music...and the Baroque. You'll find that it's not stuffy old people music that's boring. Trust me I know for a fact that there are plenty of boring pieces out there. But this music is also hugely varied in sound and style and in itself contains tons of different kinds of music. You can find something that speaks to you...that tu

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Hello Friend and Marshall 5 like this.
  2. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Hi Invictvs - I am a 'classical' musician and I totally agree with this kind of music requiring 'active' listening. I actually avoid listening to classical music in the car for this reason - I miss so much because of the background noise getting in the way, or because I am concentrating on my driving.

In addition to the symphonies you mention, Beethoven's 16 string quartets are absolutely wonderful, and encompass the whole range of his writing from early classical style (which is superior to the true classical string quartets) through romantic and the bold experimentation of his last quartets, unappreciated within his lifetime.

Marshall 5 likes this.
  3. Invictvs

Invictvs Fapstronaut

What instrument do you play?? I took up mandolin a few years ago, but I play bluegrass on it and learned mostly by ear. I play some fiddle too. Recently I bought a digital piano and I've been trying to learn through method books because I wanted to be able to read music and play more from the classical repertoire.

And Beethoven's late quartets are amazing. I'm going to see a performance of his 4th piano concerto this month too, along with Holst's Planets and am very excited about it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  4. I love this post. Beethoven is amazing. I agree that listening actively to classical music is engaging in a way that can be really transformative. Other kinds of music, and the arts in general, can be therapeutic if you're actively engaged. But the structures in classical music do seem to invite this in a special way.

You could spend a lifetime listening to those late quartets and still be making discoveries. :emoji_thumbsup:

5. Invictvs

Invictvs Fapstronaut

I kind of feel pity for people who refuse to listen to his music. I feel like they are selling themselves short on life . My favorite is the fourth movement of the Eroica...how he takes not much more than a baseline and turns it into something so dramatic...not to mention I think it has the most exciting coda out of all of his works.

6. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I play cello, used to play in a lot of quartets and orchestra, but I only play in an orchestra at the moment. Meeting up with my regular quartet and playing through Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Dvorak, Schubert, Borodin, Smetana, Schumann ... quartets every week was a pleasure, really enhanced my life and musical understanding. our violinist had a great library of music. We also got to play weddings & parties etc (mostly playing cheesy classical lite but never mind!). Sadly he is retired and doesn't want to do this any more.

I have my eye out to buy a cheap but decent piano, I used to play as a child and would love to take it up again. Also it would be fun for my child to play about on when he is a bit older (6mo!)

7. Windkick

Windkick Fapstronaut

Hmmm I compose music, but it's basically just heavy metal. They say metal has some roots in classical, because a lot of bands have this epic sound, and classical music can be epic.

Nofap is tied to my current abilities as a composer. I used to be average at putting songs together and now I can write a song in about 4-7 hours.

What's great about it is that you don't even need to be that inspired to write something of high quality. Maybe just work with an idea you got, or try to create a particular type of song with a certain style. All it takes is one great idea that'll motivate you to complete the piece.

But you're right, we don't always appreciate music in films, even if a lot of work is put it into it. I've always liked Hanz Zimmer and his work in Pirates of the Caribbean. The Kraken kind of stands out for me...it's kind of like the heaviest song he's written for the series. Maybe I should check out the rest of those films.