1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a bit of advice on how to meet new people at my University.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SilentJay313, Sep 26, 2017.

1. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

It just seems like my attempts to meet new people at my University always ended with me rejected. Not really sure if if i am actually doing something wrong, so I'll just assume that everything i tried to do so far has been wrong. Nobody really seems to approach me except for SJW's, Campus PD, or some frat boys trying to get me to "pledge" for their fraternity. There has been a few odd students that wave to me and make a hand gesture as if they want me to sit with them, but I usually wasn't sure if it really was directed to me or not. How should I approach people if I find someone I'm interested in talking to? Should I start to dress differently? I'm just not sure about where to start or what to do. I'll also mention that I have Asperger's syndrome, so social interactions & reading facial expressions for me can be difficult. Any positive input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Got to Overcome

Got to Overcome Fapstronaut

I don't think there's any better way than joining groups. A study group would be a good option for meeting people within your major. Intramural sports teams are a fun way to meet people and get in shape. If you're religious, attend their meetings. If you're interested in outdoorsy activities, look into hiking or climbing groups. Assuming you're attending a rather large university, there should be all kinds of options, so just attend as many as you can until you find the right activities/groups to pursue.

I wouldn't worry about dressing differently. Just be yourself. Cold approaches are difficult, especially if you're not naturally outgoing. Of course, they can be done, but you'll probably deal with a fair amount of rejection, so I would avoid doing so. As mentioned, groups are a much better option for meeting people, as one of the main reasons people join groups is to interact with like-minded people.

3. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

There isn't many student clubs I'm particularly interested in except for the comic arts club gaming club, but I tried to contact them both and got no response. I'll try to send them another email eventually. I did try to join a study group for my Psychology class, but everybody gave me the cold shoulder so I guess that is out of question. Sports are out of the question, since I'm not really a sports guy.

I haven't even tried the student organizations for my majors(Art and Computer Science), but that's primarily because I've been still looking for a new job unfortunately. Maybe I'll try that when I get more time potentially in the winter semester.

4. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

What do you think there is about you attracting SJWs?

5. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

I guess it might be because of me being a black guy, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure. It's just plain weird that they always approach me and asking me to join their organizations/rallies for whatever reason. I just walk away from them not saying a word.

6. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

the other way is joining groups with interests. the commonality always bonds. you will have to go through a few before you find a sweet spot. trust yourself on it. better to have an awkward meeting than stay in your room alone.

i felt this too. then i joined a sports club and ended up befriending one of the most popular guys on campus. me and him were really close too

7. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

Okay. After doing some more looking into the student organizations, I did find two possible sports group. Apparently there is a mma club and a karate club. MMA would be good for self defense. I might consider this group.

Physicist likes this.
  8. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

Join and see where you fit. Look for people with shared goals. You might be studying chemistry but you might want to do entrepreneurs ship so look for the entrepreneurs. You get it now.

Its unfortunate that colleges have become political dramas this generation. Hopefully you come out on the other side better than when you came in.

9. Got to Overcome

Got to Overcome Fapstronaut

I see where you're coming from, but I think there is benefit in showing up at various events and groups regardless of level of interest. You might find that you have a particular passion for something you never would have expected.

Since you're looking for a job, perhaps find one on campus rather than off-site. That should be a good way to meet fellow students in addition to earning some money.

10. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

The political drama in my opinion is a major thing I think that has become a problem. Especially with the whole "gender politics" thing. It just makes interacting with others that much harder without someone freaking out about "assuming their gender". Not only that, but the tension on campus is irritating because of the opposing opinions between people and the fear of being labeled as "evil" if you were to express your thoughts & opinions that may be different from the masses.
    An on-campus job would be nice, but unfortunately I haven't seen much that wasn't chemistry-major or theater-major related. I'll keep looking at the job board in the student center when I get the chance to. I guess that i should check out some of the events on campus on my free days. It might be more interesting than just rolling around on my skateboard, or drawing people in the student center.

Physicist likes this.